• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
What games do you play? if its low stress on the GPU and / or you have 60 FPS VSync lock on the GPU will down clock its self to save power.

I don't have a vsync monitor, just a standard 1080p 22" monitor.

minecraft and csgo where the only 2 I had installed at the time.

csgo was reaching 800-900mhz and on my old card it didn't change at all which was a Radeon HD 5830 1GB (lol)

Caporegime
I don't have a vsync monitor, just a standard 1080p 22" monitor.

minecraft and csgo where the only 2 I had installed at the time.

csgo was reaching 800-900mhz and on my old card it didn't change at all which was a Radeon HD 5830 1GB (lol)

VSync is a setting in the game, nothing to do with the monitor, i think the HD 5830 only ran at <900Mhz, thats its normal clock speed. :)

Do you have anything more demanding than minecraft and csgo to push the 390 harder?

Soldato
I ran firestrike and this was hitting thr 1080mhz without any issues.

didn't have vsync on in any games.

I noticed that in csgo at times it was dropping to like 130fps which is why I installed after burner to watch temps and this is when I noticed the core was going up and down all the time during gaming

Soldato
Hey Guys, just saw this thread.

I have a 390 waiting to go in, when I tested at first with the latest drivers I did notice the fps drops quite low 1080P gaming.

installed after burner and noticed that the core clock was not going past 800-900mhz when the default factory clock is 1080mhz.

in minecraft it was sitting at 300-400mhz!

what is the best drivers to use? I had to remove the gpu before I could try any older drivers as its for Christmas! lol

It's as Humbug said - minecraft can be run on a toothpick - so a 390X only needs to use 300Mhz to max it out at the FPS cap you chose via vsync or frame rate target in Crimson/CCC.

Soldato
Getting some weird graphical corruption with the hotfix crimson driver. Probably going to roll-back as it seems to be causing corruption in many of my games.

witcher3_2015_12_12_20_25_51_610.png

Still isn't playing nicely with Afterburner 4.2.0.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's as Humbug said - minecraft can be run on a toothpick - so a 390X only needs to use 300Mhz to max it out at the FPS cap you chose via vsync or frame rate target in Crimson/CCC.

Yeah, wasn't expecting minecraft to do much.

csgo on my 5830 never dropped below 800mhz and had stable FPS, just find it strange that on the same game with a new gpu it struggles to stay at a stable core speed. it dropped as low as 500mhz at some points and this was when I got the lowest fps of 130ish even dropped to 90 odd at some stages

Associate
I take it opening Crimson, then selecting the Eyefinity tab along the top isn't working for you? I only ask as mine just displays "A display group could not be created using Quick Setup. Try Advanced Setup instead" but I just assumed that was because my setup is a bit odd.

You should be able to select a game in the Crimson "Gaming" tab, then select the game you want to play in Eyefinity, select Profile Options along the top and turn on "Launch with Eyefinity". The theory (and the demo videos) show you have your system setup for Extended screens, this then activates Eyefinity as soon as the game launches, then goes back to Extended as soon as the game finishes.

For me though, neither of the above work. I click Crimson > Preferences > Radeon Additional Settings to bring up the old CCC interface. From here I can Re-enable or Disable my Eyefinity setup at will to move between merged and separate screens. To make it a bit quicker, I've now pinned the CCC interface to my taskbar, so I just click that and then Enable/Disable Eyefinity setup.

Thanks for replying. I can activate Eyefinity using the quick setup tab within Crimson but it is too many extra steps compared to what worked simply and easily before using my hotkey combo. Performing multiple clicks within a settings window, be it the Crimson interface or the additional settings options (legacy CCC window) is too long winded. Simply pressing buttons on my keyboard is best for me. I hope they add them back in future releases.

Soldato
VSync is a setting in the game, nothing to do with the monitor, i think the HD 5830 only ran at <900Mhz, thats its normal clock speed. :)

Do you have anything more demanding than minecraft and csgo to push the 390 harder?

I have installed killing floor 2 and just realised that I also have far cry 4 on uplay as I got a code when I bought my 970 but was returned because of the whole vram issues with them

Soldato
Thought i would ask this here to see as im sure some of you guys will have an answer.
Im getting a 4k oled tv next week and i want to connect my PC up to it aswell. I have two 290 cards but the tv doesn't have a display port connection so is there anyway for me to get 4k and 60hz without that? a HDMI 2.0 wont work on the graphic card side correct?

Caporegime
Thought i would ask this here to see as im sure some of you guys will have an answer.
Im getting a 4k oled tv next week and i want to connect my PC up to it aswell. I have two 290 cards but the tv doesn't have a display port connection so is there anyway for me to get 4k and 60hz without that? a HDMI 2.0 wont work on the graphic card side correct?

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pr...layport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Don't know if you can find any for sale somewhere.

Soldato
Original post about my role on these forums can be found here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18675953

I check the forums daily so by all means drop me dm if you have any questions! :)

Hey, any plans for AMD to resolve the flickering issue many have and there are dozens of reported cases at AMD forums also?

The issue appeared on 15.7 and later drivers. 15.6 are OK, however more and more games complain that they need new drivers installed.
But we hate the black lines flickering on the monitor, hence staying with 15.6.

I personally have put a bug report on all drivers tested since 15.7, and many others have done also. Is ridiculous to have a 295X2 and not been able to use Freesync & CF drivers. Hell even on 1 card mode the issue is there.

Soldato
This crimson driver is awful. When i install it on windows 10 it works fine. If i shut down for the night, the next time it boots i get a hard hang on windows login and i have to shut down at the wall!!

No overclock applied at start up either which has caused issues in the past. Back to pre crimson for me until this disaster of a driver gets fixed.

Associate
Just downloaded Crimson, haven't noticed any issues yet so fingers crossed don't have to roll back.

Regardless, can anyone say what all the graphics settings mean? Is there a link I could look at / has anyone here already listed the optimal settings for a 390?

ie, for anti-aliasing, I don't know what enhance the application's settings actually means as it's pretty vague and if it's better or if I should virtual super resolution + super sampling (guessing not) etc etc

Back
Top Bottom