• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
These 14.12 Omegas have a weird desktop lag.

As since i put this rig together a few months ago (these were the drivers i popped on, and have only had on), ive been getting a weird desktop lag problem (oddly, gamings been fine, no problems there) at random times, the desktop will just become laggy/stuttery.

The fix was, to grab my FF window (if it did it while browsing), like im going to move it around the screen, open one of my drives, or open the Task Manager, where on doing any of those, it would instantly go back to normal.

On checking Display > Adjust Resolution > Advanced Properties > Monitor, i discovered that the checkbox to hide modes that are unsupported, was unlocked, so i relocked it and re-applied again, but still got the lag randomly.

Checked again, and ive found, that every time i game, benchmark, switch on, reboot, select a profile in Afterburner (which makes the screen flash), it unlocks again, so the past couple of days, every time ive switched on ive locked it, and after ive rebooted, gamed, ran a benchmark etc...., ive relocked it, and ive had no lag problems at all.

Today, i went back to the 14.9 WHQLs (the drivers i used on my old rig, which never had a lag/stutter problem) to test those, and the unsupported modes is locked, and is staying locked, no matter what i do, and theres no random desktop lag.

When it lags, sometimes its really lagging/stuttering.

Last edited:
Soldato
How would I know if I'm getting this?
What's DPC latency?

DPC latency is when something calls the CPU to do something and insists that it does nothing else until it's finished doing that (mad generalisation). In this case, the directx kernel is the issue, so when running games in xfire (especially with vsync enabled, and in my case with a second screen on as well), the DPC latency shoots up to 15k microseconds, which is crazy long in terms of cpu time. That causes audio popping and crackling, along with some stutter in games.

We're still not sure 100% if it's a driver issue or a hardware fault that affects some 290/290x cards, but the fact that it goes away when I only run one monitor (no matter what monitor I use) makes me think it's a driver issue.

Run latencymon or the linked program and run a game with xfire and vsync enabled. If you have crazy high dpc latency related to dxgkrnl, welcome to the club :)

Associate
Haha, nah and I was joking, although CF users I bet are annoyed somewhat (or should be).

As an exclusive AMD person and a crossfire user, I'll admit I'm VERY annoyed. More than annoyed even. When it comes to the point of not being able to properly play games that came out four bloody months ago, It makes me wonder what this "We'll release the drivers when were happy", means?

If there's one thing I can guarantee, it's that us AMD crossfire users aren't happy, we don't care if the AMD devs feel happy or not, because we sure as **** don't.

Far Cry 4 came out four months ago in November! I just want to play it properly is that too much to ask? If I have to wait four/five months to utilise AMD crossfire, I'll be honest and ask "why should I stay with the red team"?

I've use'd AMD for about 8 years now, I always though the driverless meme was a stupid joke. Now I feel stupid waiting for the non existent drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well said mcshave, it seems for whatever reason they are holding back the next driver release. Be it to release it along side an announcement to make an impact or if really isn't ready.

Either way 3 months is a ridiculous amount of time between driver releases, they should be embarrassed.

Soldato
AMD have lost me to be fair...To go this long without some new profiles for massive titles that have been released to support crossfire is terrible. To me, it feels like AMD are in big trouble, no drivers since mid December, no solid info regarding the 3 series cards, nothing at the conference thats going on where they were supposed to show off the new cards. AMD are dead to me, I'll be changing ship as soon as something big comes from Nvidia.

Soldato
Far Cry 4 came out four months ago in November! I just want to play it properly is that too much to ask? If I have to wait four/five months to utilise AMD crossfire, I'll be honest and ask "why should I stay with the red team"?

Not making excuses here for the delay, it's been four months since release yet ubi only patched in AMD mgpu support ~2 months ago, but I reported to AMD that Ubi 1.8 patch broke mgpu and AMD could have had to start again, maybe not, but any way, we should have been given betas to fix each mgpu titles as they became available.

Soldato
Game works is to blame for amd taking over three months to release a driver and giving nothing to support multi gpu in a a number of titles for months?

Soldato
Game works is to blame for amd taking over three months to release a driver and giving nothing to support multi gpu in a a number of titles for months?

Yip thats its job , its why you notice there isnt any non gameworks games without multi gpu profiles. :rolleyes:

Seems they are waiting to the 19th for the big freesync new driver

Associate
Hardware is competitively priced but aftersales i.e. driver support is frankly pants.

Its bad enough waiting for crossfire support but they completely dropped support for 7970 users when cards were replaced and fully expect them to do the same for 2** users.

We don't all have money trees in the back garden and don't want to be told its my fault cause im not changing up yearly as 2x £300 pound cards a big chunk of free money.

Will limp along this year as want a new system build this Christmas but she will be Green.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom