1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LtMatt, Dec 18, 2014.

1. deuse

Capodecina

Need a bit of help. I've come from the green team and the NV drivers has a pull down menu
    that tells you what games\apps you have installed and the settings for each one.
    I see no such thing on the AMD drivers or am I missing something?

2. LtMatt

Caporegime

That's not how it works, any Crossfire profile we have in our driver works across all of our graphics cards. Because the 7970 and the 290 use the same GCN architecture any performance optimisations for the 290 also work for the 7970 as well.

3. LtMatt

Caporegime

Add the game exe to CCC then you can browse all the crossfire profiles and settings we have in the driver. You can use this to tweak profiles etc for that specific title.

[​IMG]

4. JediFragger

Capodecina

That's great to know for the future (and future GCN gens) :)

5. deuse

Capodecina

Thanks Matt. Can't they do a simple pull down menu like NV?
    Sometimes it says "there is already a profile" but I can't see it. Why hide them?

6. LtMatt

Caporegime

It's pretty simple to change a profile for a certain application if you want to. Add the exe, if a profile exists go down to use AMD Pre Defined profile then you can apply any profile you want for that application. Or you can use a custom profile yourself of AFR Friendly or 1x1 Optimize.

7. Gregster

Caporegime

Do you mean the Space Launch Initiative? If you just meant SLI for Elite, it works very well.

8. Superpatsy

Hitman

Seeing as I'm also in the CF-not-working-properly camp (which is really starting to make me consider going green), what is better, AFR or 1x1 optimisation?

Pretty annoyed that games that are 4 months old still aren't fully optimised!

9. maxzuk

Gangster

AFR and 1x1 will simply get your cards working in crossfire with game with no inbuilt profile it does not unlease the power of crossfire just balances out cards.

With Elite 1 card works gpu @ 100% with crossfire enabled they both drop to about 40% so doing the maths im 20% better off using 1 card!

What you really need is a proper dedicated driver and as Elite uses its own engine COBRA don't expect one soon as somebodys actually got to work on this out took Nvidia a few attempts to get it right.

LT I understand how crossfire still works on 7970 im getting at latest certified driver Omega which is great for 290 users but poor performance on 7970 series compared to last beta driver.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

GPU usage in ARMA 3 is **** poor as well. I'm getting less frames than I was on a single 970.

11. thefogo

Mobster

I regularly dropped below 20fps on a 780 ti with that game. It just runs like crap on anything.

12. Scramz

Wise Guy

My 970 was getting more frames than my 290 until I set the parameters to how i like them, now it is running nice.

13. sprite1275

Wise Guy

Really? Arma plays loads better on my 290x than when I had the 970. It was terrible on the 970, had to drop all settings and have no AA just to try get it playable.

14. Scramz

Wise Guy

Arma 3 default max Vram is 2gb, you need to adjust the parameter to max your card. After setting it to 4096 my games does not feel like its spiking, silky smooth now.

At 1440p, it was hitting the 2gb limit so it was having a negative effect on the game.

15. tommybhoy

Capodecina

[​IMG]

FC4@3K AFR gpu usage on each card@95%, that's +90% over a single gpu, AFR gpu usage is game dependant.

16. Scramz

Wise Guy

Just did a the Thief benchmark with Mantle, very high settings at 1440p using 3.88gb of Vram. Avg FPS 55.

4K certainly needs 8gb cards. Hopefully the new 300 line up will have 8gb.

17. 7stars

Associate

it does mean nothing... :D usually when a game is well developed, the card could put in memory everything is possible to avoid continuous access to the system memory (slower), even at lower resolution. While more Vram is always welcome, it doesn't mean that 8GB is a must...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  18. tommybhoy

Capodecina

If the 390X doesn't have an option of 4Gb and 8Gb, Nvidia have zero competition@4K.

TitanX SliX4 is coming, 4K 3D Surround and Nvida running riot???

19. 7stars

Associate

that is another matter... maybe marketing but not "certainly needs..." in the way you can think that a game doesn't run well if there are 4GB Vram "only"...then we should see concrete benchmarks in different scenarios to evaluate

20. triss

Mobster

Perhaps keep the should have doesnt need to a speculation thread guys,, leave this one for Driver stuff :)