• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Any idea what to do about the error "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due an unexpected system failure"?

I upgraded to the latest driver this evening...

I'm getting this on every boot. Not even overclocked.
This is on a RX480 and it didn't do this on the last drivers.

Caporegime
OP
@AMDMatt - the Report AMD Driver Bug link isn't working.

Also, are you getting many reports of Player Unknown's Battlegrounds crashing on RX 480 cards? I simply can't get mine to run stably.

Are there any resources you can point me toward?

On 17.4.1? I'll check it out.

Not seen any reports, but that game is not released and buggy/unoptimised from what I've heard.

Soldato
On 17.4.1? I'll check it out.

Not seen any reports, but that game is not released and buggy/unoptimised from what I've heard.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried 17.4.1, 17.3.1 and 17.2.1 and the game crashes with each. Essentially it is unplayable with the RX 480 with my system and card even at stock settings, as I can't complete a round unless I die early.

I've tried stressing my system in every way to see if it would reveal instability or issues under other circumstances; I have run Memtest for 12 hours and run the Unigine Heaven demo at ultra settings whilst running a custom Prime95 test concurrently for 4 hours. Both have been error and crash free.

It's frustrating as performance is good and much better than the nvidia card it replaced! Please let me know if I can report my issue somewhere. I know from the Battlegrounds forums that other RX 480 users are having problems too.

Soldato
I'm getting this on every boot. Not even overclocked.
This is on a RX480 and it didn't do this on the last drivers.
Yeah I was only getting this error under 17.4.1. I have since gone back to 17.2.1 and that particular issue has stopped occurring.

Under 17.4.1 Battlegrounds would crash with that error.

Under 17.2.1 and 17.3.1 Battlegrounds would crash without that error and the crash reporter for the game would appear.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I've tried 17.4.1, 17.3.1 and 17.2.1 and the game crashes with each. Essentially it is unplayable with the RX 480 with my system and card even at stock settings, as I can't complete a round unless I die early.

I've tried stressing my system in every way to see if it would reveal instability or issues under other circumstances; I have run Memtest for 12 hours and run the Unigine Heaven demo at ultra settings whilst running a custom Prime95 test concurrently for 4 hours. Both have been error and crash free.

It's frustrating as performance is good and much better than the nvidia card it replaced! Please let me know if I can report my issue somewhere. I know from the Battlegrounds forums that other RX 480 users are having problems too.

Maybe this might explain your crash?

PSA We're investigating the memory crash some of you are experiencing currently. We will push an update to resolve the problem shortly!

Battlegrounds official Twitter

Soldato
Thanks, but that's not the source of my problems. Something odd is going on and I can't figure out what!

The final thing I am going to try is reinstalling Windows, but that will have to likely wait until the weekend. However, I don't know if that will do any good, as when changing cards and trying different drivers, I have always done so with a clean install using DDU.

/EDIT/ I'm pleased to say that reinstalling Windows via USB to the latest version has completely solved all my issues :)

/EDIT x2/ I spoke to soon, still getting crashes. For whatever reason, Saturday night was charmed.

Last edited:
Associate
I was getting blue screens on Windows boot with 17.4.1 driver, rolled back to 17.3.3 and everything is fine. First time that ever happened to me on my 7950.

Asa

Asa

Associate
Ohhh I didn't notice the update bringing ASW to older cards. This is fantastic news for me, my 295-X2 can last in my VR rig until a really beefy AMD card is available to replace it.

I'm still a little disappointed that after all this time I have no clear AMD upgrade path available, but on the other (more important) hand, the 295-x2 and the 290 crossfire cards have been fantastic value. Can't wait to see Vega!

Soldato
17.4.2 is out in the wild.

If Freesync seems to be broken, ensure display scaling is set to 100% by...
Right-click on desktop
Display settings
Custom scaling
Change value you see to another number and hit apply
Change number again to 100 and hit apply
Hit the sign out now link

Soldato
17.4.2 is out in the wild.

If Freesync seems to be broken, ensure display scaling is set to 100% by...
Right-click on desktop
Display settings
Custom scaling
Change value you see to another number and hit apply
Change number again to 100 and hit apply
Hit the sign out now link

Interesting.. is that something you found out yourselves or did you read it elsewhere? and thanks for sharing btw.

Associate
Any release notes for the new driver?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.4.2-Release-Notes.aspx

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.2 Highlights

• Initial support for Windows®10 Creators Update.
Fixed Issues

• SteamVR Asynchronous Reprojection feature may not function or enable correctly on supported hardware.
  • Battlefield™1 may experience poor scaling in Multi GPU mode using DirectX®11 API.
  • Radeon ReLive may experience flickering when recording with an extended display connected on Windows®7 system configurations.
  • Application profiles in Radeon Settings may fail to retain after system log off or reboot for some gaming applications.
  • Windows® Security popup may be experienced after install and reboot on some Hybrid Graphics system configurations.

Soldato
Just installed the Windows Creators Update, have an old issue appear again now though. I've got that annoying flickering screen problem on the desktop and in games again. If you don't know it, its when your on the desktop and you right click or left click something, or rapidly move the mouse around, the screen flickers. When disabling Freesync though the issue seems to disappear, likely to be issue with Freesync again.

I've just looked and seen the new driver above, just downloading now so will report back to see if that fixes it.

Edit. Installation just black screens halfway way through install, I've so many issue after installing this creator update, seriously I've got some very strange goings on but that's another topic for another section.

Last edited:
Associate
Pleasantly surprised by the 17.4.2 release, first of the 17.x series that hasn't broken 7 Days to Die for me. More testing to be done but they seem a keeper :). Not yet on the W10 creator release either.

Back
Top Bottom