• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Same with me, Huge performance drop with the Adrenalin drivers. A drop of around 800 from the 17.11.4 in the Superposition benchmark. I tried both clean install and install and tried with and without using DDU.

Anyone else notice a performance decrease with these new drivers?

Try a real game scenario..not superposition.

Soldato
I agree that I will probably not use much of this but it's still really nice features especially for those that will. Enhanced sync will be getting turned on though and its for all gcn users. They could have said only for the latest models. He might favour AMD more than Nvidia but it has not stopped him telling it the way it is. The graphics leader (Nvidia) has an interface from 19 canteen in comparison. On the software side AMD are doing good things and it should be commended as its what people are asking for.

All they they now is the hardware to match. Navi better be a master class or Adored might be right about the Graphics war being over.

Yeah, enhanced sync could be good (as I understand it it's like Nvidia's Adaptive VSync? Although that wasn't prefect).
Most of the rest of it can be done already by 3rd party apps. Now I guess if you're an AMD "fanboy" and already know your next GPU will be AMD even if Volta is 2X fast as Navi, then it's good. But I tend to buy what I think is best at the time, so next time I could switch vendors. So it's easier for me to use 3rd party apps that I can use regardless of vendor.
That's why it doesn't excite me, a lot of it can be done already with other apps.
Chill I'm torn about. I'm not sure why I'd want to run my games at less than my monitors frame rate cap. As for power savings, we've been told by various people every time Nvidia release a GPU with a low power usage or AMD release one with a high power usage, that nobody care about power usage and that it will cost virtually nothing anyway. So not sure why it's a big deal now. If AMD are so concerned about power saving, maybe don't make GPUs that require 2 x 8-pin power connectors and then fix it by enabling us to run at lower FPS.

Is that the same when he talking big about NVidia? You clearly don't follow his channel.

I don't follow his channel, I've only seen him talk negatively about Nvidia. That 2-part Nvidia bashing video where he ignored AMD doing the same things and made out like it was just Nvidia doing bad stuff.

Soldato
Try a real game scenario..not superposition.

Didn't you read the post I quoted? He tried games and SuperPosition. I have noticed the same. I have tried games. Superposition just gives a very clear idea of the level of the performance drop.

Robo Recall dropped from been able to run 90fps solid on the 17.11.1 drivers to only been able to run at 45fps with the same settings.

And even if I didn't try any games, there shouldn't be a drop of 800 points between one set of drivers and the next. While benchmarks like Superposition and 3D mark etc aren't always a good guide to how a graphic card will do in all games, they are a good way of analyzing performance between hardware or driver upgrades on your own system.

Soldato
Well he explained the Chill part and its uses. In some games you don't need max fps. His card went from around 260w to 60w. Was a strategy game he was playing so no need for mega high fps. Chill is just for power saving when there is no need to use full power. It's a decent feature imo but again one I probably will not use as everything I play is fast paced so needs maximum attack.

Personally I would rather have all the features I want in the main driver suite and not have to use 3rd party apps as I am sure most would. Any how you shouldn' need 3rd party apps for most things and AMD have added stuff in that means users will need even to use other programs less. This is a good thing whether you see it or not.

Associate
Yeah, I only really tried Superposition and PUBG (test server) and then rolled straight back as had mates waiting to play PUBG but will do some more testing when I get more time but Superposition dropped around 600/700 points (QHD, Extreme, High).
PUBG was harder to tell as Steam overlay was showing 20 to 40 FPS less but then the AMD over lay would show as another ~20 FPS lower again than the Steam overlay but tbh it felt so bad, that it seemed lower than both where reporting.

Soldato
Yeah, I only really tried Superposition and PUBG (test server) and then rolled straight back as had mates waiting to play PUBG but will do some more testing when I get more time but Superposition dropped around 600/700 points (QHD, Extreme, High).
PUBG was harder to tell as Steam overlay was showing 20 to 40 FPS less but then the AMD over lay would show as another ~20 FPS lower again than the Steam overlay but tbh it felt so bad, that it seemed lower than both where reporting.
Yeah def something wrong, superposition I'm seeing 800 points less, and firestrike I'm seeing a 1000 less on gscore. Testing games and looking into this, something is not right

Soldato
Been playing with ReLive this morning and the video quality has gone to crap with this update, did a stream to YouTube at 10mbit and there is so much blockyness with the image it almost looks like 1mbit bitrate, also tried a 30mbit local recording and there was still noticeable blockyness in that.

Soldato
Yeah, enhanced sync could be good (as I understand it it's like Nvidia's Adaptive VSync? Although that wasn't prefect).
Most of the rest of it can be done already by 3rd party apps. Now I guess if you're an AMD "fanboy" and already know your next GPU will be AMD even if Volta is 2X fast as Navi, then it's good. But I tend to buy what I think is best at the time, so next time I could switch vendors. So it's easier for me to use 3rd party apps that I can use regardless of vendor.
That's why it doesn't excite me, a lot of it can be done already with other apps.
Chill I'm torn about. I'm not sure why I'd want to run my games at less than my monitors frame rate cap. As for power savings, we've been told by various people every time Nvidia release a GPU with a low power usage or AMD release one with a high power usage, that nobody care about power usage and that it will cost virtually nothing anyway. So not sure why it's a big deal now. If AMD are so concerned about power saving, maybe don't make GPUs that require 2 x 8-pin power connectors and then fix it by enabling us to run at lower FPS.

I don't follow his channel, I've only seen him talk negatively about Nvidia. That 2-part Nvidia bashing video where he ignored AMD doing the same things and made out like it was just Nvidia doing bad stuff.

Then you need to follow him to make this claim lol he is very happy to talk good about Amd just has much as Nvidia.
How his this channel any different to others reporting on new Amd driver? Would you say this about Pcper who did a 30min video?

And FYI enhanced-sync is nothing like adaptive-sync its completely new, it's more closer to nvidia fastsync.

Soldato
Been playing with ReLive this morning and the video quality has gone to crap with this update, did a stream to YouTube at 10mbit and there is so much blockyness with the image it almost looks like 1mbit bitrate, also tried a 30mbit local recording and there was still noticeable blockyness in that.

I do quite a bit of recording and noticed no difference in image quality. Not tried streaming yet.

Soldato

Played good amount PUBG last night on test server performance was excellent. Although Osd did have issue enabling for me.

Soldato

Yeah def something wrong, superposition I'm seeing 800 points less, and firestrike I'm seeing a 1000 less on gscore. Testing games and looking into this, something is not right

That's 4 people so far. Balky in the other thread said he noticed a performance drop too.

Associate
Played good amount PUBG last night on test server performance was excellent. Although Osd did have issue enabling for me.

Out of interest had you tried it previously on the last set of drivers? PUBG test server performance is the best it's ever been and miles better than the current live version - for FPS at least, lag can still be an issue - but it was noticeably worse between driver sets for me.
Wondering if it's just the move from live to test for you that is given you some improvement?
Or maybe it is the AMD OSD that is causing my issue? As that did work for me but toggling it on or off made no difference.

Caporegime
Ive had to go back to Afterburners RTSS, as the Performance Metrics Overlay just ***** up all the time, i changed it to CTRL+P, fired up Prey, and everytime i try to bring it up, he was just bringing up his communicator thing (as 'P's assigned to that, the CTRL key seemed not to be registering), and the game was plummeting to around 57fps, and tearing like a ****, quit back to desktop, re-fired it back up, and it was still the same, without even trying to bring on the Overlay, around 57fps, and tearing like an absolute ****.

Had to quit and reboot to sort, then thought, when i whack the game on, i'll go through the controls, see what keys i havn't got assinged, and ill use those for the Overlay, so did that, and now works fine, so it looks like, everytime i put a game on, im going to have to go through the controls of it, to see what keys i havn't got assigned for anything, so i can change the Performance Metrics Overlay to em.

Hopefully, we can have an any single key assignment for it, like RTSS, as i have that set to a single key on my numpad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest had you tried it previously on the last set of drivers? PUBG test server performance is the best it's ever been and miles better than the current live version - for FPS at least, lag can still be an issue - but it was noticeably worse between driver sets for me.
Wondering if it's just the move from live to test for you that is given you some improvement?
Or maybe it is the AMD OSD that is causing my issue? As that did work for me but toggling it on or off made no difference.

Yeah I did but not on the latest test server version that was released Tuesday.
New amd drivers I also used right away on the new build of the game.
Tbh my pubg experience has been much better since I changed to I7 8700k coming from 3770k.

I not sure how much is the CPU or game build though.

Associate
I've never managed a good score on Superposition, not on the older Crimson drivers and not on Adrenalin, only managed to beat 4K score yesterday by lots of overclocking. Seeing slightly better scores on Heaven and 3DMark tests ... so yeah, not seeing that performance degradation over Crimson drivers.

Associate
Yeah I did but not on the latest test server version that was released Tuesday.
New amd drivers I also used right away on the new build of the game.
Tbh my pubg experience has been much better since I changed to I7 8700k coming from 3770k.

I not sure how much is the CPU or game build though.

Ok, thanks.

Still on a 3770K (@4.4Ghz) myself and the test server, from having the new desert map, was definitely a big improvement for me. And even now being able to play the old map on the newer build is almost like playing a new game. Actually now don't dread getting into a firefight in Yas!
Now if they can just sort out the lag - though even that seems to better now than before - they may actually be able to launch it in a decent state and overcome some of the early negativity around how bady it was optimised.

Associate
What's the make and model of your monitor?

Samsung C32HG70

Full screen, far has I know 144hz works. I can check again tonight.

If there is any update, it would be very appreciate.

Some games, particularly older ones, are locked to 60 Hz when in fullscreen mode but most of those can be fixed by editing a configuration file. Basically you just have to google it.

I know, but both of this games(Crysis 2, Mafia 3) about 144hz I find can only work with Nvidia card (Nvidia settings > Preferred refresh rate > Highest available).

Soldato
Samsung C32HG70

If there is any update, it would be very appreciate.

I know, but both of this games(Crysis 2, Mafia 3) about 144hz I find can only work with Nvidia card (Nvidia settings > Preferred refresh rate > Highest available).

Sorry I did forget. Display Pilot shows what my current refresh rate is running at when I load up a game.
mafia3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom