• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Back when i ran a 1080p freesync monitor with a RX 580 i had some freesync issues where it would only work on a older driver as well. There was plenty others with other freesync monitor on both HDMI and DP connection that didnt have an issue even of the newest drivers. My conclusion is that some of these freesync screens are just not behaving well. I would try and look at CRU and see if you can mess with that to get it to behave. But i fully understand how frustrating it is. I was furious back then :)

Associate
18.8 and 18.7 are beta drivers....

Eh nope they're not beta, all it is is that they're not WHQL drivers - not quite the same thing. WHQL just means AMD paid for Microsoft to "look" at them and given them some stamp of approval, whatever that may mean. I've seen as many issues (though really not many issues all in all) with WHQL drivers as with non-WHQL drivers - there really isn't much of a value to that WHQL label.

Soldato
Tried DP cable, same problem.

Next stop, windows reset. SIGH!

Mate this is not issue with the drivers. I was looking today if anyone else has reported such issue over anywhere in the web, and you are the only one.
So either windows or the monitor is faulty. :/

Where in Nottingham do you live? Because if you are on the North or North-East side, and I have time this Saturday might be able to help you.
I am only an hour or so away. Can bring another FS monitor to give it a try. If you have cleared the windows and put everything fresh and still doesn't work.
I will bring also rated cables. Cannot do it on Sunday or during the week, because working at Bristol.

Soldato
So either windows or the monitor is faulty. :/

Where in Nottingham do you live? Because if you are on the North or North-East side, and I have time this Saturday might be able to help you.

That is awfully kind of you to offer.

Matt did say:

Together with your report and others I received on the AMD Support Forums, I've opened a ticket with engineering so we're looking at that issue.

From what I have been able to ascertain, it is not related to this model of monitor either so either multiple failed monitors or a driver bug.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/no-freesync-with-adrenaline-18-1-or-17-12-1.240824/

https://community.amd.com/thread/226145

There are others, the common trend is it works in Crimson without issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is awfully kind of you to offer.

Matt did say:

From what I have been able to ascertain, it is not related to this model of monitor either so either multiple failed monitors or a driver bug.

We can always try. I have 3 FS screens at home (LG 2560x1080, XL2730X and Samsung 55NU8000) none has issues with Freesync on Vega 64 :/

Soldato
When you uninstall MSI AB did you remove RTSS also?
If that is done also, use DDU, wipe out the drivers in safe mode and install the latest ones.

Let us know how it goes :)
Unfortunately the same results.
I uninstalled MSI AB and RTSS and removed all profiles.
Then uninstalled previous drivers, reboot, went to safe mode, used DDU, reboot again, installed 18.8.2 from 18.8.1
Reboot again:

Now whats funny is that I was able to actually control the graph line with MSI AB fan profile. However now that I have it uninstalled I have no control at all.

Soldato
Unfortunately the same results.
I uninstalled MSI AB and RTSS and removed all profiles.
Then uninstalled previous drivers, reboot, went to safe mode, used DDU, reboot again, installed 18.8.2 from 18.8.1
Reboot again:

Now whats funny is that I was able to actually control the graph line with MSI AB fan profile. However now that I have it uninstalled I have no control at all.

Is set on Automatic. You need switch to Manual.... :D

Soldato
Is set on Automatic. You need switch to Manual.... :D

Alrighty then :eek:
It took about a minute before the whole Fan line adjusted from the top of the graph to what you see here.
Funny too because I had a prior pic and was about to say "it didn't work" when I looked after saving the pic to upload I then noticed it had changed on me.
Not sure why it's slow like that. And for only having 750-760 RPM the fan line should be a lot lower.
When I place my mouse on the graph itself it does show the correct values.

But thanks Panos :) at least I know that I have to set it to manual.

Soldato

Alrighty then :eek:
It took about a minute before the whole Fan line adjusted from the top of the graph to what you see here.
Funny too because I had a prior pic and was about to say "it didn't work" when I looked after saving the pic to upload I then noticed it had changed on me.
Not sure why it's slow like that. And for only having 750-760 RPM the fan line should be a lot lower.

But thanks Panos :) at least I know that I have to set it to manual.

Welcome mate. But look at those settings...... Time to move some sliders to the "right" direction also ;)

Soldato
Any one have problems with hardware acceleration playback since windows 1803 update?

Since 1803 whenever my brother watches twitch,the video randomly hangs and the gpu utilisation spikes to 99-100%, before dropping to normal levels and is fine again, before randomly doing it again. Twitch is fine if hardware accleration is disabled and just let the cpu do it, so it's definitely something to do with that.

It started to happen after windows 10 updated to 1803. I've tried new drivers, fresh install, still does it. Doesn't matter what browser. Any ideas?

Associate

The graph pauses updating when the mouse pointer is hovering over it, so perhaps this was why it didn't change when you were expecting it to.

Permabanned
I grabbed Forza Motorsport 7 yesterday and while the actual races run well everything else ie: the cut scenes and basic navigation through the menu and garage etc are a mess, It stutters continuously.
That's with my Ryzen/Vega build.

I'm putting a ticket in with the driver team I just thought I'd give you all a heads up in case you're thinking of grabbing it,
Is anyone else with the game currently experiencing this with the 18.8.2 drivers?

Soldato
I grabbed Forza Motorsport 7 yesterday and while the actual races run well everything else ie: the cut scenes and basic navigation through the menu and garage etc are a mess, It stutters continuously.
That's with my Ryzen/Vega build.

I'm putting a ticket in with the driver team I just thought I'd give you all a heads up in case you're thinking of grabbing it,
Is anyone else with the game currently experiencing this with the 18.8.2 drivers?

That's a Forza 7 game issue , same for all cards mate. Menus perform like turd, they always have done regardless of machine spec.

Soldato
The graph pauses updating when the mouse pointer is hovering over it, so perhaps this was why it didn't change when you were expecting it to.
thanks for that tip! :)

Good to know, It's a shame I didn't check for issues before buying it. :rolleyes:

Cheers.
Oh you should visit their forum.
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_topics103_Technical-Support-and-Help.aspx
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst128825_Forza-7-PC-stuttering.aspx

Back
Top Bottom