• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
A recent development on my vega 64 liquid - memory clocks on wattman no longer stick. I don't know if it's with a recent driver update, only noticed this evening. I can change them, but as soon as I leave wattman they appear to reset to default. Also I had profiles with memory clocks set and loading them does not appear to set the memory clocks.

Anyone else, or just me?

Soldato
A recent development on my vega 64 liquid - memory clocks on wattman no longer stick. I don't know if it's with a recent driver update, only noticed this evening. I can change them, but as soon as I leave wattman they appear to reset to default. Also I had profiles with memory clocks set and loading them does not appear to set the memory clocks.

Anyone else, or just me?

Use DDU to wipe the drivers and install fresh :)

Associate
Thanks, I did a clean install of the latest drivers and it's cured it.

DDU has caused significant problems for me in the past so I don't use it.

I rarely use it, it's really not all that useful or necessary anymore (particularly now that the drivers also have a clean install option).

Associate
Problems with drivers 18.9.1 no option to "Restart" after driver installation and no "Radeon Relive" install either....are AMD drivers getting worse with every new driver lately?? Seem to be, last Driver that had the prompt to "Restart" at the end of the driver install was 18.5.1 and what's with the no option to install Relive

Soldato
Problems with drivers 18.9.1 no option to "Restart" after driver installation and no "Radeon Relive" install either....are AMD drivers getting worse with every new driver lately?? Seem to be, last Driver that had the prompt to "Restart" at the end of the driver install was 18.5.1 and what's with the no option to install Relive

NVidia doesn't prompt restart years now.......

Associate
NVidia doesn't prompt restart years now.......

And we are not talking about Nvidia are we. We are talking about AMD Adrenalin drivers and the fact their installer is turning to craaaap!! Follow the instructions AMD advise to install the latest 18.9.1 drivers which is - a "clean install" and when followed there is no option to install "Radeon Relive" and there is not prompt to "Restart"!! So you follow AMD's driver install instructions and you don't get Radeon Relieve installed and no "Restart" prompt which AMD themselves advertise on their site as being the end result of a proper driver install......correct me if I'm wrong but there is no mention anywhere on AMD's site where they say "After a successful driver install there is no longer a need to "restart" the system"! Am I not correct?

AMD's installer is just getting worse full stop!, heck the last few driver releases are just buggy garbage and lets hope it's not a sign of what's instore for the future because most of us remember that years ago AMD's rep for "dodgy" driver was a well known fact.....and I'm on a full AMD system currently so no wonder why I'm becoming a little concerned when I'm seeing a trend starting to develop in regard to lazy driver QC and bug fixing.

Associate

Hyperbole much? I've not had issues with any of the drivers (not yet installed 18.9.1) ... "drivers getting worse"? They're great, and if anything they're getting better all the time. If you're having trouble try a clean install. the option is there.

Usually if there's an installation problem (way, way back had real difficulty getting AMD drivers installed at times with some error installing the Catalyst application) it is because of some corruption somewhere in the Windows installation, a clean install might help with that.

Associate
Hyperbole much? I've not had issues with any of the drivers (not yet installed 18.9.1) ... "drivers getting worse"? They're great, and if anything they're getting better all the time. If you're having trouble try a clean install. the option is there.

Usually if there's an installation problem (way, way back had real difficulty getting AMD drivers installed at times with some error installing the Catalyst application) it is because of some corruption somewhere in the Windows installation, a clean install might help with that.

Complete fresh clean install of 18.9.1 after running "sfc /scannow" at command prompt to ensure windows system integrity (no issues) and 18.9.1 are borked! No Radeon Relive and no Restart prompt! try it yourself and confirm your Hyperbole statement. :D

@Nasher the express install option installs straight over the top of previous drivers and as far as I'm aware only installs the newer files from the package, when using this method it usually goes fine and the Restart prompt at end of installation usually occurs.

Associate
Complete fresh clean install of 18.9.1 after running "sfc /scannow" at command prompt to ensure windows system integrity (no issues) and 18.9.1 are borked! No Radeon Relive and no Restart prompt! try it yourself and confirm your Hyperbole statement. :D

@Nasher the express install option installs straight over the top of previous drivers and as far as I'm aware only installs the newer files from the package, when using this method it usually goes fine and the Restart prompt at end of installation usually occurs.

"Getting worse and worse" *is* hyperbole. I've not had any issues with recent drivers, and most people here are not having any issues with them. None are having installation issues that I've seen, the very few that are having issues is with things like freesync not working for them.

Just installed 18.9.1, no issues. Didn't clean install (and so it had no need to install Relive as that hasn't been updated since 18.8.2) but it did ask me to reboot once it was done. I always use the custom install option (I never ever use the "express install" option for installing anything).

Associate
last drivers to have the amddvr64.msi which is the installer for Radeon Relive was 18.7.1 (don't know about 18.6) and 18.5.1 - Check C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.5.1-May23\Packages\Apps\CN\amddvr\amddvr64 - this is where the driver get unpackaged prior to install. Driver 18.8.1 - 18.8.2 - 18.9.1 do not contain the installer for Radeon Relive.

Just did a clean uninstall + DDU in safe mode install of 18.8.2 and 18.9.1 and can confirm it does not get installed, only way to install Radeon relive is to get the amddvr64.msi from 18.5.1 unpackaged driver and run the msi file to install Relive. Where is QC on recent driver releases....out to lunch!!!

So in summary, after clean uninstall + DDU safe mode uninstall then install 18.8.2 and no Relive and no Restart prompt - express upgrade to 18.9.1 gets the "Restart" prompt back at end of driver install but no Relive install - manual running of amddvr64.msi from driver 18.5.1 gets Relive installed on 18.9.1...…..AMD QC on lunch break again

Last edited:
Associate

Just installed 18.9.1, Selected Custom install/ Clean install. Had the option to install Relive and it asked for a system restart at the end.

Back
Top Bottom