1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LtMatt, Dec 18, 2014.

1. GoogalyMoogaly

Soldato

I thought it was decided that this was working as intended? Why call it a fix if it wasn't broken?

2. Martini1991

Caporegime

I still get it lol.

3. Shiari

Hitman

I know right! Next bug below that was one I was also getting, it was notifying me twice.

4. ree

Wise Guy

so it's working as intended :p

boys from amd had a long new year of hitting the bevvy hard and just needed to put things on a list so not to be fired :D

5. shankly1985

Capodecina

Because it is. I was waiting for this reply lol
    So I even taken a picture but not at pc right now will post later.

If you check for update. The driver still says recommended driver 18.12.2 and new optional 19.1.1

6. shankly1985

Capodecina

I think the confusion is from how amd name the notification.
    And I believe you shouldn't get the update message if you already running beta driver.

For example
    If you running 19.1.1 you should only get a notification if a new driver is ready 19.2.1 for example.
    If you check manually then you get told a recommended driver is available 18.12.2 and optional 19.2.1

7. nashathedog

Sgarrista

Update for 21:9 VSR support

I just installed 19.1.1 and VSR is now working with 3440x1440 monitors.

Great news :D

I just tried some Wolfenstein 2 at 5120x2160 and it did surprisingly well staying north of 60 for the most part, There's a selection of the usual suspects that need a lot of tweaking to run well but for the most part they manage to look as good at lower settings on the higher res as they did at higher settings with the lower res so it sorta cancels it out in those games making it a completely pointless switch :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. EastCoastHandle

Gangster

9. SpudMaster

Mobster

Anyone else getting a black screen issue with the latest drivers? I'm having to stick with 18.12.1 as any drivers later than those give me a black screen when I restart. Windows starts to load but after the Windows logo I just get a black screen. I have to go into safe mode to remove the drivers so I can reinstall 18.12.1.

10. nashathedog

Sgarrista

I'm using Vega64 with 19.1.1, no problems to report yet.

11. shankly1985

Capodecina

@GoogalyMoogaly @Martini1991 @Shiari

FYI
    This is how the driver will list updates available. Currently installed beta driver, recommenced driver will be the last WHQL driver and the latest new beta driver will be shown as optional.

The confusion is coming from the software popping up with a older driver, and I believe only when the user manually checks for update it should list the older driver.

[​IMG]

12. EastCoastHandle

Gangster

I agree it's confusing. Sure we know we are using beta drivers.
    However, IMO, AMD should just leave that alone and go back to the way they did this before.

13. Armadillo

Mobster

Does AMD have the option to force adaptive v-sync yet (so v-sync on when hitting refresh, and off if you drop frames)? When I still had my 290 you had to use radeon pro or similar to get it. I did search, but a lot of people seem to confuse adaptive v-sync with adaptive sync.

I guess with freesync being cheap and fairly common, there's not much call, but it's still a nice option to have.

Thanks.

14. chaosophy

Wise Guy

I think AMD Enhanced Sync basically does this.

At frame rates at and above refresh rate it will display the latest full frame rendered - so basically vsync but it can discard an older frame from buffer to display the latest frame to minimise input lag, with no tearing - below refresh rate it's basically vsync off, so you may get tearing but again it tries to minimise input lag.

15. weldon855

Hitman

There was no confusion, it was a bug. The release notes confirm this so hopefully it's fixed now.

16. shankly1985

Capodecina

Agreed the pop up telling you a new driver is available was the bug that AMD fixed. Like a said above and where I am not wrong is when you manually check for an update! See image above. This is what AMD has done for a very long time.

17. OLDPHART

Soldato

18. SpudMaster

Mobster

19. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Was only a Beta then.

20. Scougar

Capodecina

Get the notification EVERYTIME I boot up. Mildly irritating to have it pop up when I have a newer driver installed. Dumb.

Of course... I am the type that is mildly obsessed with closing out notifications so for me it is annoying.