• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Fingers crossed then. It's a shame as AMD had a pretty awesome year in 2019 and could have gone out on a high with this this new driver. Instead its tarnished their reputation at a time when they were just increasing consumer confidence and market share. It's in their commercial interest to fix this you'd hope

Its no different to the first big AMD driver release a few years ago. New build = new bugs to fix, given time and these will be back just as optimised like last year. We already on driver two this year so they defo on the case to getting this sorted.

For me I not had much issues, I did how Radeon Software not open and I needed to force close and reopen and Freesync stopped working and needed to restart PC.

Associate
I used to look forward to the Adrenaline releases to see what boosts where coming but at the price of stability and breaking features theres clearly something wrong with their priorities.

Same here. First anticipation was replaced by hope and now by dread - of the number of hours I'll spend mucking about to only end up back where I started :D

Its no different to the first big AMD driver release a few years ago. New build = new bugs to fix, given time and these will be back just as optimised like last year. We already on driver two this year so they defo on the case to getting this sorted.

This is very true. We have been here before and we have come out the other end of it with our loyalty intact. I do like AMD products and their bang for buck business model. I'm just impatient and want to get stuck into playing with their new features :(

Soldato
Can you install the latest "driver" but not install the settings software and instead use the older settings software from a 19.xx driver download, so new driver but old settings software? As wondering if its the new settings software causing issues.

Associate
Can you install the latest "driver" but not install the settings software and instead use the older settings software from a 19.xx driver download, so new driver but old settings software? As wondering if its the new settings software causing issues.

You could try updating the driver from device manager i guess but who knows what world of incompatibility and pain that could cause. Why not give it a whirl? :p

Associate
I imagine most people are not having problems at all. I know I am not, but YMMV.

I suspect that is the case but I wonder how many people are worse off without even realising it. My issue is very subtle in that I lose between 6% and 8% framerate in Borderlands 3 when going from pre 2020 drivers to any of the versions released since 19.12.2 with all settings being equal. If I hadn't benchmarked the game before and after, I might not have even realised. Some people might not even consider that a problem. For me, going from 65 fps average at 1440 to 60 fps is most definitely a problem, such that I have reported to AMD via their issues page. Vega users are at the bottom of the pile though if the RIS rollout is anything to go by :(

Soldato
I suspect that is the case but I wonder how many people are worse off without even realising it. My issue is very subtle in that I lose between 6% and 8% framerate in Borderlands 3 when going from pre 2020 drivers to any of the versions released since 19.12.2 with all settings being equal. If I hadn't benchmarked the game before and after, I might not have even realised. Some people might not even consider that a problem. For me, going from 65 fps average at 1440 to 60 fps is most definitely a problem, such that I have reported to AMD via their issues page. Vega users are at the bottom of the pile though if the RIS rollout is anything to go by :(

True, a lot of people won't notice or care if they drop a few frames. I think we'll need to give it a couple of months while they optimise the new drivers and bring them up to where they were before. Just par for the course where there's been a big change and things have to settle down a bit.

Soldato
I've noticed in Ghost Recon Breakpoint I keep getting the occasional driver crashes on a 5700XT I'm testing and sometimes it even locks up my entire system, Hasn't happened with anything else yet, Stock clocks etc...

Associate

As crazy as this idea sounded I decided to give it a shot via the update driver option in the device manager display adaptor properties and point it to the extracted driver in my C:\AMD folder. I only had 20.1.1 extracted so installed that version while retaining the 19.12.1 Radeon Settings UI. Unsurprisingly the UI app hung during the install but then reloaded fine and I was able to apply my Wattman OC profile and verify it had applied in GPU-Z. I then ran the BL3 benchmark and got same issue as before - only 60 fps average instead of the 65 with 19.12.1. So in conclusion the driver is problem, not the UI, which is what I expected. Even if this had of worked it would be a kind of pointless config to keep since the big changes brought in with the new 2020 releases have been the UI and new and expanded features like Boost & Integer Scaling which aren't accessible in the old Radeon Settings app. These may have been on by default for all I know but without the controls in the UI, I can't tell.

Now to DDU my system again :-/

Soldato
Vega 56 here since updating the drivers I am getting a lot of black screens no signal? How do i go back to the older drivers?

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/epi739/weird_flashes_during_gameplay_5700xt_adrenalin/

I think i mentioned i had artifacting on 2020 drivers and found a vid of what i kinda had, but mine were a bit worse and not sure if guy in video had it but lots of snow dots all over the desktop, no games running just on the desktop after install of latest drivers after a clean. Incase anyone wondered what i was on about.

Oh this vid too kinda shows it too. But again just desktop not games as never had time to try more than shortly installed em then that then quickly revert back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/eq5dbs/weird_screen_flickers_on_overlays_thankfully_it/

Soldato
Tehe! Cheers homie. Since 20.1.2 and a new high-quality DP lead, I'm having major no signal issues in all 3 DP on the back of GPU. Totally not fun lol.

Huzzah :D

Vega 56 here since updating the drivers I am getting a lot of black screens no signal? How do i go back to the older drivers?

Use latest DDU in windows safe mode, but before you clean it up set it to manually delete the AMD folder from C:\ before you install the 20.1.2 again.

Back
Top Bottom