• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
Believe it or not same issues as me with it enabled? If I switch off freesync via monitor and drivers, all is good?

I would say so yes, i always had Free Sync on in the drivers, never had this problem then but i complained, probably somewhere way back in this thread that i had screen tearing in Youtube and general browsing, someone suggested i turn on VRR in Windows Graphics settings, that did fix the Youtube and browser screen tearing, soon after that is when these problems started.
Its so infrequent tho its difficult to test, it could be days or weeks before it does it again, if it will.

Are you reading this AMD? its too late to send the card back and i can't afford to take the hit on selling this used for however little its worth now and forking out £300 to make up the difference for a 2070 Super, if i could i would.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would say so yes, i always had Free Sync on in the drivers, never had this problem then but i complained, probably somewhere way back in this thread that i had screen tearing in Youtube and general browsing, someone suggested i turn on VRR in Windows Graphics settings, that did fix the Youtube and browser screen tearing, soon after that is when these problems started.
Its so infrequent tho i its difficult to test, it could be days or weeks before it does it again, if it will.

Are you reading this AMD? its too late to send the card back and i can't afford to take the hit on selling this used for however little its worth now and forking out £300 to make up the difference for a 2070 Super, if i could i would.

I've reported this feedback to AMD on more than a few occasions now, whether it'll be explored who knows but by then I'll be using a different card. Should be this way but yesterday was the final straw and I sold my 5700... making the move back to the green team as I can't be arsed with all the issues.

Caporegime
I've reported this feedback to AMD on more than a few occasions now, whether it'll be explored who knows but by then I'll be using a different card. Should be this way but yesterday was the final straw and I sold my 5700... making the move back to the green team as I can't be arsed with all the issues.

I made a detailed bug report through their reporting system in the drivers.... i'll hold my breath to see if they fix this.

I like the card, this particular one has one of the worst coolers on it but i made it work with good airflow in the case, it was inexpensive so i took a punt on it and the card has the performance i was looking for, upgraded from a GTX 1070. MSI Quick Silver.

I never had these issues with the 290, or any. I'm disapointed.

Soldato
I made a detailed bug report through their reporting system in the drivers.... i'll hold my breath to see if they fix this.

I like the card, this particular one has one of the worst coolers on it but i made it work with good airflow in the case, it was inexpensive so i took a punt on it and the card has the performance i was looking for, upgraded from a GTX 1070. MSI Quick Silver.

I never had these issues with the 290, or any. I'm disapointed.

I never had issues with the VEGA 56, RX 580 or RX 570, 9600XT, X850XT and so on... until the big NAVI came along and all that's changed!

Caporegime
I never had issues with the VEGA 56, RX 580 or RX 570, 9600XT, X850XT and so on... until the big NAVI came along and all that's changed!

When you also look at some of the shockingly bad AIB versions of Navi, some are much worse than mine and i'm sorry but coming from the MSI 1070 the build quality and the quality of the fans and cooler on that card compared to mine IT IS like night and day...... Navi feels rushed, panicked even.

Soldato
When you also look at some of the shockingly bad AIB versions of Navi, some are much worse than mine and i'm sorry but coming from the MSI 1070 the build quality and the quality of the fans and cooler on that card compared to mine IT IS like night and day...... Navi feels rushed, panicked even.

It certainly seems this way unfortunately. I doubt I'll look at Big Navi when it releases... CPU's are great but too much damage done to my faith and I look forward to playing a game without issues soon.

Soldato
@humbug
If you getting tearing within Windows desktop etc then you have an issue with Desktop Windows Manager. The Variable refresh rate in windows display settings is only for games so that shouldn't do anything on the desktop.

Quoted
"It is not possible to turn off V-sync in Windows 10 as it is used for core graphics gui. Since this is the case any game/application that is run in windowed mode (borderless or not) will also be run with V-sync. This used to not be the case with Windows 7 (with the basic Aero as you said) and prior versions but starting with Windows 8 it was always on for desktop. The only way to turn V-sync off would be to run in exclusive fullscreen and turn it off in game or force it off if you an ATI or NVIDIA gpu. I know some games there is no option and for some using an integrated card the option is also lacking which is a problem for some systems."

Soldato
humbug, i had tearing on in youtube and scrolling, if ur on chrome try setting it to use dx9 instead it worked wonders for me.

I had these exact issues u did when i got a vega 56 pulse. Sorted most of em by doing the stuff below.

Below settings came from reading this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/f8uw1w/psa_to_anyone_having_problems_with_hardware/

Code:
chrome://flags

Choose ANGLE graphics backend
Choose the graphics backend for ANGLE. D3D11 is used on most Windows computers by default. Using the OpenGL driver as the graphics backend may result in higher performance in some graphics-heavy applications, particularly on NVIDIA GPUs. It can increase battery and memory usage of video playback. – Windows

#use-angle
set this to dx9

these may help too

Out of process rasterization
Perform Ganesh raster in the GPU Process instead of the renderer. Must also enable GPU rasterization – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

enabled

GPU rasterization
Use GPU to rasterize web content. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

enabled

Smooth Scrolling
Animate smoothly when scrolling page content. – Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

enabled

Override software rendering list
Overrides the built-in software rendering list and enables GPU-acceleration on unsupported system configurations. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

enabled

Vrr in win 10 is meant for win 10 store games, shouldnt really affect anything else unless ur playing xbox pass games or the win 10 store games.

Try with a monitor driver but if like me, freesync doesnt seem to work with official aoc driver but the windows generic pnp monitor driver seems to make freesync work, weird.

Might have done this too i cant remember but i did have random reloads of icons on desktop taskbar, it only seemed to happen if you launch chrome tho.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...cons-randomly-and-periodically-blink.3328338/

Last edited:
Soldato
@humbug
If you getting tearing within Windows desktop etc then you have an issue with Desktop Windows Manager. The Variable refresh rate in windows display settings is only for games so that shouldn't do anything on the desktop.

Quoted
"It is not possible to turn off V-sync in Windows 10 as it is used for core graphics gui. Since this is the case any game/application that is run in windowed mode (borderless or not) will also be run with V-sync. This used to not be the case with Windows 7 (with the basic Aero as you said) and prior versions but starting with Windows 8 it was always on for desktop. The only way to turn V-sync off would be to run in exclusive fullscreen and turn it off in game or force it off if you an ATI or NVIDIA gpu. I know some games there is no option and for some using an integrated card the option is also lacking which is a problem for some systems."

I think you have to face it @humbug. Your OS is sadly borked. Time to clean install the machine.

Associate
Well, why don't you just give that a try then? It's been covered to death already that installing over previous drivers will cause problems for some people on certain setups.

I've tried fresh install - I've tried April drivers, I've tried DDU + AMD Cleanup utility. I finally gave up trying to fix what is obviously some kind of incompatibility with my config. Which is a very basic X470 setup. I did submit as detailed as I could bug report to AMD but finally gave up and and moved back over to Nvidia yesterday.

Soldato
I've tried fresh install - I've tried April drivers, I've tried DDU + AMD Cleanup utility. I finally gave up trying to fix what is obviously some kind of incompatibility with my config. Which is a very basic X470 setup. I did submit as detailed as I could bug report to AMD but finally gave up and and moved back over to Nvidia yesterday.

What card did you get? I'm in the same boat and waiting to pull the trigger on either a 260S or 2070S at any moment.

Associate
What card did you get? I'm in the same boat and waiting to pull the trigger on either a 260S or 2070S at any moment.

I dropped on a 2080 Super for £450! Still in warranty - witnessed it in person running Timespy Extreme, Superposition 8K Texture benchmark etc, everything fine - been running fine since I had it!

Soldato
Is it just people with AMD setup that have issues with the drivers ? Has that been checked into ?
No issues on my B450, no issues on my older z87 or z77. The rest of the PC's I've built for others have reported little to no issues, all a mix of Zen1 - Zen2 or mid-tier Intel paired with a 5700 series or 5600 series cards except for a few where rebates gave other better options to choose from. Now I really do understand the frustration some are having, you buy a GPU and you expect to have a good time with it, playing some games or getting a job done, and when this isn't the case you (the general you) get frustrated. But I've seen some of these people's machines first hand when doing repair jobs and it's incredible sometimes that the thing can boot at all. All the bloat installed, the failed updates and the list goes on. Now of course, this isn't the case for everyone. Some are having legitimate problems even though they keep their systems clean and tidy, but not all of the people who complain IMHO.

A friend of mine was complaining to me on discord that his new x3900 machine that I specced him was running too hot followed by the usual tantrum "AMD sucks". Long story short, His fan profile(dark rock pro 4) was set to silent in the bios and his idea of "hot" was 73 degrees C during peak load. 73c on a 12c / 24thread monster during peak with NO noise what so ever is not bad at all. On a side note, his shiny 3600mhz CL16 ram was set to 2400mhz. Silly goose :). We agreed his punishment would be a round of beer the next time we would meet up.

Soldato
I dropped on a 2080 Super for £450! Still in warranty - witnessed it in person running Timespy Extreme, Superposition 8K Texture benchmark etc, everything fine - been running fine since I had it!

That was a steal, you fell lucky there... Just picked up an MSI 2060 Super Gaming X for high refresh 1080p gaming. Didn't want to let my 5700 go but my hand was forced.

Soldato
Now I really do understand the frustration some are having, you buy a GPU and you expect to have a good time with it, playing some games or getting a job done, and when this isn't the case you (the general you) get frustrated. But I've seen some of these people's machines first hand when doing repair jobs and it's incredible sometimes that the thing can boot at all. All the bloat installed, the failed updates and the list goes on. Now of course, this isn't the case for everyone. Some are having legitimate problems even though they keep their systems clean and tidy, but not all of the people who complain IMHO.

I can understand the frustration it must be a higher than usual amount of issues with a particular driver (which seems to be anything from May onwards) but then again its not been reported as a major issue in media/social media outlets so without alienating anybody how bad is it ? I've been through a similiar experience with Nvidia drivers many times in the dim past but I could always come up with a workaround. I guess everyone's techinical knowledge/skill is at different levels and as troubleshooting is part of my job I can solve most things eventually.

With so many people on here going red to green it might seem strange I went green to red - then again all I did was uninstall my nvidia drivers, remove my 2080, install the 5700XT, install the April drivers after reading they were the last ones that seemed okay. Not had an issue so far. (Although last night I thought my audio out was not working through the card till I realised my speakers were not switched on ! :) )

If it was an Nvidia issue they would still get the flack but from experience a hotfix would come out within a week of driver release. Just shows AMD still do not have the right resources in the driver department.

Soldato
I can understand the frustration it must be a higher than usual amount of issues with a particular driver (which seems to be anything from May onwards) but then again its not been reported as a major issue in media/social media outlets so without alienating anybody how bad is it ? I've been through a similiar experience with Nvidia drivers many times in the dim past but I could always come up with a workaround. I guess everyone's techinical knowledge/skill is at different levels and as troubleshooting is part of my job I can solve most things eventually.

With so many people on here going red to green it might seem strange I went green to red - then again all I did was uninstall my nvidia drivers, remove my 2080, install the 5700XT, install the April drivers after reading they were the last ones that seemed okay. Not had an issue so far. (Although last night I thought my audio out was not working through the card till I realised my speakers were not switched on ! :) )

If it was an Nvidia issue they would still get the flack but from experience a hotfix would come out within a week of driver release. Just shows AMD still do not have the right resources in the driver department.

The thing is though some of the problems people complain about are also present on the green team and that tells me that it's not AMD's fault in those specific cases yet they still get tons of flag and people switching or claim that they will. I rarely see the angry green team players move, they just stay and moan or pretend nothing is wrong :p. Give AMD flack when they deserve it and they do from time to time. But the hysteria that's been going on and the same BS over and over that the drivers are "oh so horrible" gotta stop IMHO. People gotta do the troubleshooting properly before pointing fingers, no matter who they point it at.

Back
Top Bottom