• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
The stock memory speed is 1500? What gpu do you have?

It seems to smooth out performance in this game. Funnily enough it helps single gpu users too.

It's the HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHz edition.
I just tried your settings Matt, and I'm still seeing the same thing. It's very frustrating.

Caporegime
OP
It's the HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHz edition.
I just tried your settings Matt, and I'm still seeing the same thing. It's very frustrating.

That's odd it said R9 290 on afterburner, well i guess that explains your stock clocks then.

Try with my settings but lowering the quality down to very high or even high. Using Vsync with Triple Buffering seems to be key in this game. Not sure what else to suggest as it plays fine for me I'm afraid.

Soldato
I'm getting decent FPS and crossfire seems to be working pretty well, even with my 8320. Have the occasional dip down to around 45 FPS. GimpWorks Fur looks terrible so turned it off. GPU usage doesn't seem to go any higher than around 60% on both cards though.

These are my settings, any improvements you can suggest Matt?

Far_Cry4_2015_03_23_15_50_35_45.jpg

Far_Cry4_2015_03_23_15_51_00_31.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'm getting decent FPS and crossfire seems to be working pretty well, even with my 8320. Have the occasional dip down to around 45 FPS.

These are my settings, any improvements you can suggest Matt?

Far_Cry4_2015_03_23_15_50_35_45.jpg

Far_Cry4_2015_03_23_15_51_00_31.jpg

Looks good to me benny. You can try enabling fur as that is not GameWorks, it's the option after fur that is.

I expect if you change one of those ultra's to high you might get 60fps solid. Of course if you don't mind the drop then leave it as it is.

Good fps from a 280 Crossfire setup considering the notorious issues with this game.

EDIT

Try with Vsync enabled and Triple Buffering on.

Caporegime
Triple Buffering, should in theory be the best option if you don't have Freesync

anandtech said:
With triple buffering you get the same high actual performance and similar decreased input lag of a vsync disabled setup while achieving the visual quality and smoothness of leaving vsync enabled.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

As long as developers use 'page flipping' and not 'render ahead'.

Soldato
Looks good to me benny. You can try enabling fur as that is not GameWorks, it's the option after fur that is.

I expect if you change one of those ultra's to high you might get 60fps solid. Of course if you don't mind the drop then leave it as it is.

Good fps from a 280 Crossfire setup considering the notorious issues with this game.

EDIT

Try with Vsync enabled and Triple Buffering on.

Would turning anti-aliasing up force more load onto my GPUs? They never seem to go higher than about 60% usage.

EDIT: Also, which options are GameWorks stuff?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Would turning anti-aliasing up force more load onto my GPUs? They never seem to go higher than about 60% usage.

EDIT: Also, which options are GameWorks stuff?

MSAA is bugged in the game last time i checked, but you can try it.

How did Vsync and Triple Buffering work? TB is in advanced settings.

If you enable a GW option it flashes up on screen i think. I think it's HBAO+, Fur+ and enhanced godrays.

Associate
@AMDMatt

What FOV do you use on Dying Light?

Have you tried Vsync off followed by waving your mouse around, just to see if you get big fps drops?

HT enabled?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
@AMDMatt

What FOV do you use on Dying Light?

Have you tried Vsync off followed by waving your mouse around, just to see if you get big fps drops?

Thank you.

Erm, not sure what it is. It's quite high i think, 100 maybe?

I've not tried it with vsync off, but i will next time. I prefer having vsync on personally.

HT is enabled, but as with most games they perform marginally faster with it off. (Mantle games aside as they use the threads)

Associate
Erm, not sure what it is. It's quite high i think, 100 maybe?

I've not tried it with vsync off, but i will next time. I prefer having vsync on personally.

HT is enabled, but as with most games they perform marginally faster with it off. (Mantle games aside as they use the threads)

100? I get a 10fps drop going from 80 to 85.

Caporegime
Matt

Do you have any AMD contacts for asking about 'Freesync' support with manufacturers.

Most monitors obviously can't be updated with firmware, but Panasonic sell a range of LED TV's that are regularly firmware updated and have DisplayPort 1.2

Specifically the AX802 line (AX800 in the states)

If they could work with panasonic to get it implemented, it would be epic...

Caporegime
OP
100? I get a 10fps drop going from 80 to 85.

Ugh, maybe I've got that number wrong I'll have to check next time i load the game up.

Matt

Do you have any AMD contacts for asking about 'Freesync' support with manufacturers.

Most monitors obviously can't be updated with firmware, but Panasonic sell a range of LED TV's that are regularly firmware updated and have DisplayPort 1.2

Specifically the AX802 line (AX800 in the states)

If they could work with panasonic to get it implemented, it would be epic...

This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't expect to see any monitor makers offering firmware upgrades.

Associate
Ugh, maybe I've got that number wrong I'll have to check next time i load the game up.

This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't expect to see any monitor makers offering firmware upgrades.

If you could check, that would be helpful. My CPU is holding me back for sure because OC'ing the GPU does not yield in higher fps in suspected CPU bound parts of the game.

Associate
Firmware update ability for higher priced gaming monitors should be standard.

Especially since most have USB hub ports, so it shouldn't be a problem to transfer the data to a firmware rom if it's connected.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, is there now a profile for Dyling Light? Just gone back a couple of pages or we still waiting on that one? I maxed it out at 5760x1080 incl dra distance and runs decent but with a weird wobbly screen going on, assume this is one of the problems on CF... just wondered if the profile was released?

Associate
Hi Matt,

I am currently using both my monitor + tv screen, I can switch to both screen perfectly without any issues.
After I have upgraded to the latest driver (used DDU to make sure it is a clean upgrade), now when I try to use the TV screen it just shows plain black. I can see the tv flashes when I am switching from monitor -> TV / TV -> monitor, I have even checked the sound setting (I have got independent speakers for TV and monitor), which means the hdmi cable is definitely working.
Please help!! BIG THANKS!!

Hi Matt, any idea why is this happened? :(

Soldato
That's odd it said R9 290 on afterburner, well i guess that explains your stock clocks then.

Try with my settings but lowering the quality down to very high or even high. Using Vsync with Triple Buffering seems to be key in this game. Not sure what else to suggest as it plays fine for me I'm afraid.

Regarding the r9 290: yeah, my 7970s get reported as 290s now by the amd drivers. It started happening I think with the 14.4 catalysts. I queried this at the time and was told it was normal. Is that wrong?

I'll try lowering settings, or maybe just running without eyefinity. I see the same GPU usage fluctuations at 1920x1200, but frame rates are still acceptable when it happens. Very disappointing though.

Back
Top Bottom