• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
Anyone had any probs gettting DOOM and Wolfie New Colo. into 3440x1440 ?

Both Vulkan games, and both just won't have it, as i change to 21:9 3440x1440 and hit apply, screen goes black to make the change, then couple of seconds later, rig just restarts, and i get the Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown error jobbie.

Had a Google, and it seems im not alone, found a possible fix, right click the game.exe, and compatability tab, Override DPI Scaling setting, but i don't have a compatability tab :confused:

Tried Woflie New Col. again, this time going Window mode, instead of Full Screen, and that worked, so tried changing from there to Full, but got the same as above.

Going to try Borderless, seen as Windowed worked.

EDIT:

I found the compatability tab, it was the game.exe in the games folder, inside the SteamApps, but doesn't work either, game boots up in 3440x1440 window mode, but asks to set brightness again, when i do that and apply, says please wait saving profile, and thats it, just sits there, doesn't crash or owt, as i can still move mouse about, have to Task Manager kill it, so reversed the setting, but the game stays the same, so ive ****** it. :p :(

Tried DOOM in borderless 3440x1440 (as didn't try its DPI Setting in its compatability tab), but that does the same as Full Screen, goes black like its doing the change, then couple secs later, restarts, Windows Has Recovered Unexpected Shutdown job.

Both working okay here mate.
Famous last words :rolleyes:

EDIT:

I thought I'd better test both as I haven't touched them in a while and they're both installed. Wolfenstein 2's fine but when I try to boot up Doom I get a black screen and after I force my way out of it it's completely wrecked my desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
No mans sky is pretty shocking with AMD gpus. My Vega rig with 8700k 5ghz is around 40fps down on my other rig with a 1080ti and only a 5960x. Been reading around, it seems like even 1060 are outperforming Vega for NMS. Really hoping a driver is in the works, 60fps at 1440p is nowhere near where it should be.

Soldato
No mans sky is pretty shocking with AMD gpus. My Vega rig with 8700k 5ghz is around 40fps down on my other rig with a 1080ti and only a 5960x. Been reading around, it seems like even 1060 are outperforming Vega for NMS. Really hoping a driver is in the works, 60fps at 1440p is nowhere near where it should be.
Last time I've read a performance gap like that it was the result of how the developers tuned their engine to work better with Nvidia.
But lets see how that develops...

Caporegime
Both working okay here mate.
Famous last words :rolleyes:

EDIT:

I thought I'd better test both as I haven't touched them in a while and they're both installed. Wolfenstein 2's fine but when I try to boot up Doom I get a black screen and after I force my way out of it it's completely wrecked my desktop.

:(

This might help, I haven't gone through it yet but it sounds familiar.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/1696043263502515818/

Ignore me, it must be past my bedtime :D

:D

Soldato
Last time I've read a performance gap like that it was the result of how the developers tuned their engine to work better with Nvidia.
But lets see how that develops...

It does seem weird how performance is so average on Vega64 to say the least. Same settings 1080ti is hitting 115fps where as exactly the same scene Vega64 cant push past 70fps. Vega64 looks to be around the same numbers as a 1070 looking on forums, there's no way it should be that low, it's not that bad a card. Usually Vega64 falls halfway between 1080 and 1080ti scores, meaning it should easily be pulling 100fps or there abouts. Any idea @LtMatt

Soldato
It does seem weird how performance is so average on Vega64 to say the least. Same settings 1080ti is hitting 115fps where as exactly the same scene Vega64 cant push past 70fps. Vega64 looks to be around the same numbers as a 1070 looking on forums, there's no way it should be that low, it's not that bad a card. Usually Vega64 falls halfway between 1080 and 1080ti scores, meaning it should easily be pulling 100fps or there abouts. Any idea @LtMatt

Red flags abound on that one. No way AMD should be that far behind. Looks like AMD may have their work cut out for them on that one. But don't hold your breath.

Soldato

That performance gap between V64 and 1080Ti is similar to the World of Tanks one which is already an Nvidia optimised game also.

On other games the perf difference is small.

Associate
Hello everyone,
Apologies if im on the wrong thread, i saw the topic and its all about AMD and i thought its the right place to ask for advice regarding graphics card.
Basically i have a 6 year old system that i have configured many moons ago(Titan Pulse 3570k ivy bridge system on OCUK) and on it sits a HD 7800 series graphics card.
I have been playing SQUAD recently and i figured that i need to upgrade my graphics cards. Can anyone suggest a good upgrade preferably a cheaper one, im not interested on the higher
end graphics but something like 2 notches higher than the current 7800 series. The system is powered by a 650w power supply, mother board is Gigabyte Z77-D3H. Many thanks in advance.

Soldato
Hello everyone,
Apologies if im on the wrong thread, i saw the topic and its all about AMD and i thought its the right place to ask for advice regarding graphics card.
Basically i have a 6 year old system that i have configured many moons ago(Titan Pulse 3570k ivy bridge system on OCUK) and on it sits a HD 7800 series graphics card.
I have been playing SQUAD recently and i figured that i need to upgrade my graphics cards. Can anyone suggest a good upgrade preferably a cheaper one, im not interested on the higher
end graphics but something like 2 notches higher than the current 7800 series. The system is powered by a 650w power supply, mother board is Gigabyte Z77-D3H. Many thanks in advance.

Whats your budget?

Associate
For that budget the best deals are second hand unfortunately in that order.
GTX980Ti (there might be some) > GTX980 > R9 390X > RX570 > RX470.
Stay away from 970s and the like.
Thank you, i'll have a look on the website.
Im assuming they are all compatible with my MB, sorry dont know much about cards.

Associate

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't No Man's Sky use OpenGL? Seems in line with other OpenGL games like Wolfenstein: The New Order where I get better performance on a laptop with a 960M (~750ti desktop equivalent) vs my R9 390. Other examples include X-Plane and even Minecraft. There have been big improvements with AMD OpenGL performance in Linux (it is actually competitive) and I hope they have the ability to bring these across to the Windows driver. This has been a problem for a long time now.

Edit: DF Analysis of NMS

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't No Man's Sky use OpenGL? Seems in line with other OpenGL games like Wolfenstein: The New Order where I get better performance on a laptop with a 960M (~750ti desktop equivalent) vs my R9 390. Other examples include X-Plane and even Minecraft. There have been big improvements with AMD OpenGL performance in Linux (it is actually competitive) and I hope they have the ability to bring these across to the Windows driver. This has been a problem for a long time now.

Edit: DF Analysis of NMS

Yes it does mate, exactly where the problem lies. I'm not even bothering playing it my Vega rig at the moment it's that bad, using my recording PC to play NMS. Someone else earlier mentioned AMD doesn't like the Havok engine also.

Permabanned
@LtMatt
Hi, Are you still connected with AMD?
If so are you able to find out how far away a fix for Doom is?
In the games discussions section the Dev's have a pinned thread on it in which they blame it on the gpu drivers, I think that translates to they changed something that's broken it for a lot of users & they need driver dev's to reconnect how they work with the game.

Back
Top Bottom