• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Can anyone with a Ryzen Processor and Radeon card replicate this poor performance in GTA V?

Usually far north of 60fps and much better than my old 3570k in general but scenes at night with lots of lights in the distance seem to bring the framerate crashing down (~44fps). As far as I know this does not affect Intel and Radeon or Ryzen and Nvidia setups. Frame rate is the same even if I drop resolution as far down as 1280x720.

Map location to replicate

HqaO6QL.png

Looking in this direction:

eMUXFKg.jpg

And here:

yqkxQfp.png

Card is running hot. 75C is bit much. However GPU utilization is low, 21%!
That's an issue I have seen even on Nvidia cards with Intel CPUs. Hundreds of similar threads.
Reduce your shadows one notch, and remove the side panel of your PC to let the GPU cool down. Seems you do not have enough positive airflow in the case.

Associate
Card is running hot. 75C is bit much. However GPU utilization is low, 21%!
That's an issue I have seen even on Nvidia cards with Intel CPUs. Hundreds of similar threads.
Reduce your shadows one notch, and remove the side panel of your PC to let the GPU cool down. Seems you do not have enough positive airflow in the case.

Thanks, believe me 75c is nothing for this card though, I think the paste has had it or something. A couple of years ago I changed from a Coolermaster CM690 to a Fractal Design R5 with 2x 140mm intake fans blowing its way, which made a massive difference. Unfortunately, playing something like Hellblade or Gears 4 will have it pegged at 94c, and it only starts to throttle at that point.

I'd upgrade if there was something worth having at a reasonable price supporting freesync - RX 580 would be a side grade and Vega plain isn't competitive for the price. I'll change the paste once the warranty is up at the end of the year if it doesn't kick the bucket before then.

As for GTA V if I turn the camera and face the highway the frame rate recovers and I'm back at 100% GPU utilisation and 70+ fps.

Soldato
Thanks, believe me 75c is nothing for this card though, I think the paste has had it or something. A couple of years ago I changed from a Coolermaster CM690 to a Fractal Design R5 with 2x 140mm intake fans blowing its way, which made a massive difference. Unfortunately, playing something like Hellblade or Gears 4 will have it pegged at 94c, and it only starts to throttle at that point.

I'd upgrade if there was something worth having at a reasonable price supporting freesync - RX 580 would be a side grade and Vega plain isn't competitive for the price. I'll change the paste once the warranty is up at the end of the year if it doesn't kick the bucket before then.

As for GTA V if I turn the camera and face the highway the frame rate recovers and I'm back at 100% GPU utilisation and 70+ fps.

If you see the threads the game is buggy as hell since 2015. You aren't the only one with such issues. But the usual advice is tone down bit the shadows.

I would advice you to maybe consider replace the paste with thermal grizzly liquid metal, in addition to do a proper driver wipe with DDU and use the latest drivers.
In my opinion if you follow the videos how to properly apply liquid metal on both GPU and heatsink is not difficult. But needs a steady hand and is a slow process. (and never apply the blob directly on the die)
Also replace the RAM & VRM pads with Thermal Grizzly Pad 8 if you wish. You will see a nice 10-15C drop in temps and the card getting "a second life".

Associate
If you see the threads the game is buggy as hell since 2015. You aren't the only one with such issues. But the usual advice is tone down bit the shadows.

I would advice you to maybe consider replace the paste with thermal grizzly liquid metal, in addition to do a proper driver wipe with DDU and use the latest drivers.
In my opinion if you follow the videos how to properly apply liquid metal on both GPU and heatsink is not difficult. But needs a steady hand and is a slow process. (and never apply the blob directly on the die)
Also replace the RAM & VRM pads with Thermal Grizzly Pad 8 if you wish. You will see a nice 10-15C drop in temps and the card getting "a second life".

Thanks for the advice, the high temps and associated fan noise have become quite annoying so I'll give that a go. If I break it I'll have an excuse to buy something new I guess!

There's not many video benchmarks showing night time performance but this one definitely shows a frame time kink and massive frame rate drop when night falls at the bridge on the Vega 64 system which isn't nearly as pronounced on the 1080 system (1080 has a step from ~7ms frame times to 9ms, Vega jumps from ~9ms to ~15ms).

https://youtu.be/7VOF1e5OCGw?t=2374

(posted as link as youtube embed strips time stamp)

Not much to build a consensus on though I know.

Associate
Does anyone how to set frame rate to 144
I have a radeon rx 580 and 144hz monitor and would like to set it at 144 fps to save on the gpu overworking when it doesn't need to

I play cs go and it usually goes up to 300 fps

Soldato
Does anyone how to set frame rate to 144
I have a radeon rx 580 and 144hz monitor and would like to set it at 144 fps to save on the gpu overworking when it doesn't need to

I play cs go and it usually goes up to 300 fps

Go to drivers and see here. Set it 1-2fps bellow 144hz for Freesync to work properly if you have FS monitor. (it will avoid overshooting to 145+ fps)

5aa3QnE.png

Soldato
Can anyone explain the new
pci.sys = 7/13/2018
amdkmpfd.sys = 6/7/2018
files that is updated to win10 once you install 18.8.1? That hasn't happened before and appears to not offer any performance improvement.
So what's the deal?

Associate
18.8.1 are completely borked, wattman settings oc settings don't work! Set mem overclock doesn't take or is intermittent, reset doesn't take, rolling back as these are duds.

Associate
Anyone know if amd release firmware updates?

Been running SiSoftware Sandra lite benchmark tool and it states there is a newer firmware update for my graphics card.

All iv been doing is updating the drivers as normal

Caporegime
OP
Anyone know if amd release firmware updates?

Been running SiSoftware Sandra lite benchmark tool and it states there is a newer firmware update for my graphics card.

All iv been doing is updating the drivers as normal
No we don't for consumer products, but the manufacturer of the GPU (Eg Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc) might.

Soldato
OK right so if I contact sapphire the manufacturer they might be able to help?

Let us know if they say anything, I am interested also.

On the past we know for example the FuryX & Nano had on April 2016 bios update by AMD.
That allowed both cards to gain some performance clock for clock (around 5%), and allow higher overclocks (1190 core for the FuryX, 1100 for Nano).

Also Gigabyte had 4 BIOS updates for my GTX1080Ti Xtreme, and the latter allowed higher factory overclock (2021) and the card was more stable overall.

Back
Top Bottom