• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are both cards set at 1.112 voltage? Try adding two notches of voltage to the 74.9% Asic card as technically that should be 1.175v instead of 1.112v. As you can see its right on the limit.

ASIC quality < 75% - 1.1750 V
ASIC quality < 80% - 1.1125 V
ASIC quality < 85% - 1.0500 V
ASIC quality < 90% - 1.0250 V
ASIC quality < 100% - 1.0250 V

Sorry to butt in half way through a conversation but do you have a ASIC quality list with volts from 60% up

Matt iv'e disabled crossfire and i'm getting 99% usage and the same framerate.

Crossfire is broken :confused:

Something must be conflicting with it somewhere on your system as its definitely working in all the 7990 reviews using the same driver.

Have you got any old cap files installed or anything?

I'd highly recommend uninstalling everything. Drivers, caps everything. Then shut down afterburner from the taskbar, uninstall that, do not keep user settings then restart.

After that follow steps 1-11 in the guide below. Try Driver Fusion this time, forget AMD's tool, its pants.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335

If it still fails after that PG Tips will have to take over as im all out of ideas and as i don't have xfire myself at the moment im a bit out of the loop with it. :(

Right I've just tried oman, CF 7970's @ 1010/1375, usage spikes between ~70% and 99% as shown below:

bf3testing.jpg

It did noticeably sit around 80% on the rooftop, though if I aimed and fired the usage would spike back up.

Though CPU usage was pretty high peaking at 76% usage with the highest core being 86% as shown below:

bf3testing2.jpg

My initial thinking is the CPU is struggling to kick out enough power in high demand situations, 76% on 8 threads of SB-E at 4.864ghz is surely around an equivalent to 5.5ghz+ from a 920.

My second thought is its a crossfire profile issue or a game engine limitation.

Right I've just tried oman, CF 7970's @ 1010/1375, usage spikes between ~70% and 99% as shown below:

bf3testing.jpg

It did noticeably sit around 80% on the rooftop, though if I aimed and fired the usage would spike back up.

Though CPU usage was pretty high peaking at 76% usage with the highest core being 86% as shown below:

bf3testing2.jpg

My initial thinking is the CPU is struggling to kick out enough power in high demand situations, 76% on 8 threads of SB-E at 4.864ghz is surely around an equivalent to 5.5ghz+ from a 920.

My second thought is its a crossfire profile issue or a game engine limitation.

Great info PG. Nothing would surprise me with this game and its cpu requirements for MP. I saw an improvement in fps coming from a 2500k to a 2700k with HT enabled and i was on a single gpu.

I have figured out why my load spikes....

The frostbite engine is frame limited to 200fps, you cannot go over this, on the roof top if just staring at, well, the floor will drop usage down towards 70-80% as the frame rate climbs to the 200fps wall, usage dropped to around 56% on each card while climbing the ladders as there isn't much to render. If you then run over to the edge, especially if you ADS, the usage rockets up to 99% as the frame rate falls to around 100fps.

For now I'm thinking CPU bottleneck, I'd be interested to know what memory is being used and what speed/timings it is at, as, if the memory is only sitting around 1000mhz (not unknown on X58) it could be hurting the CPU OC's performance.

Dare I say we may have found something that has finally defeated a nehalem, though it did require two very powerful GPU's and a game that actually has multi-threaded support.

@chief barker, try find a balance of settings vs frame rates, drop to 2xMSAA with SSAO (HBAO is killer) and bloom disabled and see how you get on :)

Last edited:
I have figured out why my load spikes....

The frostbite engine is frame limited to 200fps, you cannot go over this, on the roof top if just staring at, well, the floor will drop usage down towards 70-80% as the frame rate climbs to the 200fps wall, usage dropped to around 56% on each card while climbing the ladders as there isn't much to render. If you then run over to the edge, especially if you ADS, the usage rockets up to 99% as the frame rate falls to around 100fps.

For now I'm thinking CPU bottleneck, I'd be interested to know what memory is being used and what speed/timings it is at, as, if the memory is only sitting around 1000mhz (not unknown on X58) it could be hurting the CPU OC's performance.

Dare I say we may have found something that has finally defeated a nehalem, though it did require two very powerful GPU's and a game that actually has multi-threaded support.

Good stuff. Plenty for Chief to digest there.

Are both cards set at 1.112 voltage? Try adding two notches of voltage to the 74.9% Asic card as technically that should be 1.175v instead of 1.112v. As you can see its right on the limit.

ASIC quality < 75% - 1.1750 V
ASIC quality < 80% - 1.1125 V
ASIC quality < 85% - 1.0500 V
ASIC quality < 90% - 1.0250 V
ASIC quality < 100% - 1.0250 V

This stock voltage matt? My Asic is 73% and stock voltage 1.031v

Which mobo?

Have you got a different crossfire bridge to try?

Ok so far iv'e tried,

1. A different xfire bridge, no change.
2. Uninstalled all cats + profiles, and used driver fusion after, no joy.
3. OC the CPU from 4.1 to 4.2, no difference.
4. Underclocked the cards to 900MHZ= higher usage.
5. Numerous in game GFX settings and the only one that affects FPS is the mesh detail.

My specs are,

ASUS P6TD Deluxe MB (latest BIOS)
i7 920 @ 4.1
Corsair 6GB XMS3 triple channel RAM (9-9-9-24).
Corsair HX 850W PSU
Corsair H50.

Can you do a full 3dmark11 run for me and post up the link? Should tell us if e everything is at least working to its full potential.

Btw my runs were full ultra preset @ 1080 no vsync fov of 75

Ok so far iv'e tried,

1. A different xfire bridge, no change.
2. Uninstalled all cats + profiles, and used driver fusion after, no joy.
3. OC the CPU from 4.1 to 4.2, no difference.
4. Underclocked the cards to 900MHZ= higher usage.
5. Numerous in game GFX settings and the only one that affects FPS is the mesh detail.

My specs are,

ASUS P6TD Deluxe MB (latest BIOS)
i7 920 @ 4.1
Corsair 6GB XMS3 triple channel RAM (9-9-9-24).
Corsair HX 850W PSU
Corsair H50.

What speed is your memory at?

Did you see PG tips post? Even he was seeing rather high CPU usage and he has a faster cpu than you.

Can you do a full 3dmark11 run for me and post up the link? Should tell us if e everything is at least working to its full potential.

Btw my runs were full ultra preset @ 1080 no vsync fov of 75

OK downloading it now.

What speed is your memory at?

1571 I think matt.

Did you see PG tips post? Even he was seeing rather high CPU usage and he has a faster cpu than you.

Yes I saw it mate, something is wrong with my set up maybe.

Its possible or even probable that you're going to hit a CPU bottleneck based on my results (even at stock my CPU should be bottlenecking). Whats confusing me is the fact your CPU isn't sitting above 90% usage, it should be getting really high.

Edit: memory speed and timings seem fine.

@chief barker,

Get two instances of gpu-z logging and check both your voltage readings when in game on stock clocks.

If one card has higher stock voltage than the other, synchronise gpu's in AB might be putting the higher voltage card onto matching the lower voltage.

Restart PC and don't run AB and try oc'ing the gpu's within CCC, they should both hit 1000/1375 no problem, while keeping normal voltage.

After you set the clocks within CCC, then you can run AB just for the readouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom