• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The only time I saw that code was when I put too much load on psu. Or rather pushed the clocks too high on CPU and gpu's weren't getting enough power.

That was with a clocked 3960x and 3 x clocked 290. Backing off the clocks stopped it.

You have mentioned 550w and 750w psu, but not makes. And what's the rest of that setup including clocks, etc?

I have powercool x-viper 750w and antec 550, plus generic no names of greater than 500w to try. The box has:

Motherboard P5n-D, Q6600 (stock), 2x2gb ram, DVD drive (never used as far as I know), a Samsung 840 SSD, video card (was HD6870, now trying these R9 290). 2 x 12cm fans, cpu fan, couple of m/board small heatsink fans.

That's it.

Will try every PSU I can get hold of, but the antec and powercool are both Bronze rated - surely they are enough (550 or 750) to run one of these things playing Youtube videos? And the issue where Youtube runs fine (no errors, no BSOD) without AMD drivers installed surely points to bad drivers? His old card (6870) give an occasional black screen for a second or so every now and again but otherwise Youtube and Minecraft for days (months!) without end.

Associate
Oh, and nothing on his box is overclocked. All stock. I was gonna do the CPU next (G0 stepping, if I recall they are better for overclock) to 3.0ghz but need to get this sorted first.

Associate
Sorry guys, I should explain better (had been at the damn thing all day and was tired when I posted).

My Son has an old (Q6600, running at 2.4, 4gb ram, W7 x64, Samsung 840 SSD, nothing else in the box) PC I thought would tide him over till Xmas, and in the meantime (his birthday) get him a better video card.

I also figured a better PSU and case with more room might be in order (R9 290 is huuuuuuge). He uses the PC for Youtube, Minecraft, Terraria and not much else at the moment but wants to max out his visuals with shaders, view distance etc, plus at some point he will switch to non block based gaming (I assume...)

Wiped the old drivers (HD6870 card in there), installed XFX R9 290 (used), get to windows, install new drivers, fire Google Chrome up and head to Youtube... Blue screen.

I bought two of these things, an XFX and an MSI TwinFrozr (which the seller had said was an RMA return and barely used). Both have Manufacturers warranty remaining I think. Both do the same thing. Get to Chrome, then it's a matter of time before BSOD.

Looked on the internet, lots of people have this 'A0000001' BSOD, apparently caused by 'atikmdag.sys'.

Before the AMD drivers (tried 14.4 and Beta 14.7) are installed they work fine as generic VGA cards on generic monitor. Youtube, Chrome, fine, multiple videos playing. Not tried gaming with it like that so might do. Anyway, put a driver in (latest 14.4 or Beta 14.7) and BSOD shortly after opening Chrome or sometimes at random.

Driver issue or hardware fault? Got me stumped. Before I put one in mine (as per sig) I need to get my sons's sorted. If all else fails I will try to return/rma these and give my son the GTX 660 out of my box, and I will make do with whatever I have lying around, or swap with his 6870.

Will also try the drivers that come with the card on the disc. Always figured later drivers=better but in this case, maybe not.

What flavour is the card in your rig? If it's AMD a quick test of the 290 might qualify the nature of the problem?

Edit: NVM saw the 660, missed it when I first looked at your sig.

Associate
Turn off gpu acceleration in Chrome/Firefox.

Tried it :( Same result (BSOD) at least in Chrome. Could try Firefox and see what happens there.

At the moment he's got his old card (6870) back in and happily on Minecraft/Youtube.

When I get chance I will pull out a stack of hard drives to make room in my box and try these cards in mine.

Also got in touch with the seller about the cards. Will see what he says. If I can get a refund and he RMAs them that might be the easiest solution rather than fix a problem loads of people seemingly have (and loads don't apparently). Been used to years of just plugging stuff in and it just working, forgotten what a time gobbler tracking faults can be :(

Associate
What flavour is the card in your rig? If it's AMD a quick test of the 290 might qualify the nature of the problem?

Edit: NVM saw the 660, missed it when I first looked at your sig.

Yeah will stick that (try in mine) on the list o stuff to do. Got various other options to try (power supplies, windows reinstall, two systems etc) just need to find time.

Am sure this is a driver thing though.

I think.:rolleyes:

Associate
Tried it :( Same result (BSOD) at least in Chrome. Could try Firefox and see what happens there.

At the moment he's got his old card (6870) back in and happily on Minecraft/Youtube.

When I get chance I will pull out a stack of hard drives to make room in my box and try these cards in mine.

Also got in touch with the seller about the cards. Will see what he says. If I can get a refund and he RMAs them that might be the easiest solution rather than fix a problem loads of people seemingly have (and loads don't apparently). Been used to years of just plugging stuff in and it just working, forgotten what a time gobbler tracking faults can be :(

No dramas for me in Firefox with YouTube.

Soldato
Sorry guys, I should explain better (had been at the damn thing all day and was tired when I posted).

My Son has an old (Q6600, running at 2.4, 4gb ram, W7 x64, Samsung 840 SSD, nothing else in the box) PC I thought would tide him over till Xmas, and in the meantime (his birthday) get him a better video card.

I also figured a better PSU and case with more room might be in order (R9 290 is huuuuuuge). He uses the PC for Youtube, Minecraft, Terraria and not much else at the moment but wants to max out his visuals with shaders, view distance etc, plus at some point he will switch to non block based gaming (I assume...)

Wiped the old drivers (HD6870 card in there), installed XFX R9 290 (used), get to windows, install new drivers, fire Google Chrome up and head to Youtube... Blue screen.

I bought two of these things, an XFX and an MSI TwinFrozr (which the seller had said was an RMA return and barely used). Both have Manufacturers warranty remaining I think. Both do the same thing. Get to Chrome, then it's a matter of time before BSOD.

Looked on the internet, lots of people have this 'A0000001' BSOD, apparently caused by 'atikmdag.sys'.

Before the AMD drivers (tried 14.4 and Beta 14.7) are installed they work fine as generic VGA cards on generic monitor. Youtube, Chrome, fine, multiple videos playing. Not tried gaming with it like that so might do. Anyway, put a driver in (latest 14.4 or Beta 14.7) and BSOD shortly after opening Chrome or sometimes at random.

Driver issue or hardware fault? Got me stumped. Before I put one in mine (as per sig) I need to get my sons's sorted. If all else fails I will try to return/rma these and give my son the GTX 660 out of my box, and I will make do with whatever I have lying around, or swap with his 6870.

Will also try the drivers that come with the card on the disc. Always figured later drivers=better but in this case, maybe not.

Have you tried updating the motherboards bios? That card will really be bottle necked by a Q6600 btw ...

Caporegime
With my MSI 290, I was having problems with my PC blue screening, locking up, didn't matter if it where just watching a film, youtube video, playing a game, could be fine one day then happen the next day.

Looked at event viewer and atikmdag seemed to be the main thing.

Ever since I did the following "fix", I haven't had any problems *touch wood*

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1656824/atikmdag-sys-error-bsod-startup.html

edit:

my BSOD error code was 0xa0000001

edit:

i only have the display driver installed, no ccc and no gpu programs like afterburner.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With my MSI 290, I was having problems with my PC blue screening, locking up, didn't matter if it where just watching a film, youtube video, playing a game, could be fine one day then happen the next day.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1656824/atikmdag-sys-error-bsod-startup.html

edit:

edit:

i only have the display driver installed, no ccc and no gpu programs like afterburner.

Good info ^^^^^

Try imple things first!
1st.
boot into the bios and look at the bios rev on the main screen. asus on the older bios switch from a .rom to a .cap file. the newest bios has a lot of bug fixes and for windows 7/8. the other bug fixes are for ram and cpu code updates. there a usb flashback port to flash your mb without powering the mb on or put the new .cap file on a usb stick and use the bios updater inside of the mb bios. also make sure from the mb installer cd you did not install the Lucid Virtu Software V1.2.108.18765 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit. it a know issues to crash windows and gpu when it tries to bond a ipgpu with a gpu.
i would also boot into safe mode..uninstall the ati drivers..get windows to boot into windows normal then install the newest intel chipset drivers then reboot. then try the ati drivers again

If not working try this:
2nd.
Follow every step :
Step 1: Download and install the latest ati graphic driver.AND DONT TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

Its not faulty mb or card problem! The drivers is the main culprit here!

FACED SAME PROBLEM 5 MONTHS AGO. Lucky me! Solved that with the 2nd method. Try it carefully.

Soldato
The times when I have had bsod in the past was because faulty RAM.. Ram is the biggest course for pc bsod, the GPU driver sits in ram the hole time your pc is on, I faulty stick can make the driver crash resulting in your driver stopped responding.

Soldato
I've had this same issue since the 14.6's which has kept me on the 14.4s and im getting sick of it....

I've got 3 monitors, all 3 have HDMI inputs on, two are DVI > HDMI leads and the other is direct HDMI. The two i have connected via DVI>HDMI leads are being detected as HDMI, and the one connected directly by HDMI is detected as DVI. WTF IS UP WITH THAT!? In 14.4s and previous they're detected as 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI, as it should.

Anyone have a solution to this?

EDIT: Just disabled crossfire, removed one card and updated the bios on the one left in, still same problem. Can use 2 monitors, can't use 3, as they're being incorrectly detected.

Last edited:
Soldato
well i played Sniper Elite V3 for about 45min with voltage set to 0, power limit on +50. max game settings except SSAA is off, and i had no crashs, so it's looking like SSAA, :confused:

Metro: Last Light also crashed to a black screen when i had SSAA enabled

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried updating the motherboards bios? That card will really be bottle necked by a Q6600 btw ...

Agreed - but there are limits to what I can spend on birthday for an 11 year old :( I looked at going the whole way, mboard cpu, cooler, memory etc, but on top of the card, case and power supply t'was gonna get silly. So yeah, bottleneck for now, but Santa will bring him something nice for sure :)

Associate

edit:

edit:

Will give that a bash, cheers. And the BSOD I'm getting is same as yours.

Associate
Tried the expand atikmdag.sy_ as listed above and it doesn't seem to work - when rebooting Windows reports no driver for the AMD card.

Stumped. And hung over. Not a good combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom