1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Illuminist

Wise Guy

This man gets it!

2. nomadd

Hitman

Navi is a phenomenal success story for AMD. Seriously.

..in PS5 and XBOX2. :p

3. JediFragger

Capodecina

Twice a night.

4. The Old School Gamer

Gangster

I disagree, the battle is in the mid-range with the super (ti) refresh and Navi.
    But only because many people are priced out of the top end and looking for value.

The real value is sticking with your Vega's and 1080ti's and giving this whole generation a complete miss.

5. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

6. Chrisc

Hitman

Completely agree, but the fact it can do Ray tracing will be a selling point to some, however useless it is. But with the 5700 not having it, it should be a lil cheaper imo

7. LePhuronn

Mobster

All 3, surely?

Coming out of the bankruptcy quagmire, AMD are showing that they can start investing in their GPUs now having finally broken some of the chains of GCN and closed the performance gap to Nvidia by a good chunk in a couple of years. So whoop!

I don't agree with it fully, but AMD have to confidence in pricing their products near to Nvidia to eschew the "budget brand" image, and can more-or-less actually justify it. So dance!

But even with that confidence, AMD can still make healthy profits through high volume, low margin sales and have missed (or passed on) an opportunity to really shake up the market through aggressive pricing (note that aggressive pricing doesn't mean cheap and giving things away). So scowl!

But at the end of the day, AMD are just choosing to ride the overpriced bandwagon started by Nvidia, rather than fight it, so us consumers are just getting shafted by all. So cry!

8. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

My 1080Ti can do 8k, but why would I ever want to do that to myself? I just really don't see RTX as a selling point of the 2060 or 2070, even the 2080 struggles a lot of the time to get 60fps at anything more than 1080p.

9. Gibbo

Commissario

I love AMD but at £350 for a card that is just above V56 and slower than V64, both of which cost less than 5700, AMD need to position these new cards at lower prices, otherwise Vega kind of remains the better deal especially with V56 still around £250 and V64 from £300 at OcUK.

Let us see, I guess maybe these parts will be similar performance but consume much lower power.

10. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

with 8+6 pin power requirement I doubt it's going to use lower power.

Gibbo has a point, I bet the navi pricing is high enough to push people to vega so they can clear stock and then drop prices.

11. Gibbo

Commissario

Unless rate goes beyond 1.30 your looking at parity with dollar pricing, plus new launch product, no doubt limited volumes so a $499 product will be £499 typically. Currently pound is 1.26, so $499 is rougly £395, then add 20% VAT you quickly at £475, and as typically to hit MSRP's margins are under 8% sometimes even only around 5% no reseller if stock is limited will be willing to essentially make no money on a brand new product, especially when operating cost for most companies are 3-4%, so making 5-6% is essentially unacceptable.

Lets hope the margin from AMD to us is good, makes hitting a more aggressive price possible, but my suspicions from twenty years experience are that margin will be cut throat and stock slim and with a weak pound prices shall probably be pretty much parity with USD prices with VAT.

12. oggiet

Hitman

AMD plan all along, over charge for crappy blower card pushes people to console gaming which they both run and keeps Microsoft and Sony happy.

13. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Where are the China tariffs in those prices though? Surely the price quoted last night is the USA sales price which will include a 25% tariff for imports from China?

Products supplied to the UK and EU will not have this additional tax hence should be much cheaper, unless EU distributers are hoping nobody in the UK remembers about the US price war with China.

14. flea.rider

Hitman

one thing I did notice over at GN is steve put a notice at the bottom of the vid ...
    DO NOT PRE-ORDER. UPDATE: Prices are $450 for the RX 5700 XT, $380 for the RX 5700. The R9 3950X 16-core CPU will be $750
    so was thinking he knows something hes not allowed to say
    in july they will prob drop another $50 of the price ?

15. DragonQ

Soldato

Indeed. According to Anandtech:

So a 5700 XT is 30% faster than a Vega 56 but at ~£425, so worse perf/price.

16. Minusorange

Mobster

Except as they keep proving they can easily trade blows with Intel, they used to be able to compete against both and do fairly well but ever since 290 and fury they seem to have just completely given up trying to match Nvidia in the high end range and seem happy to settle for overpriced midrange cards nobody really wants as midrange used to be for people on a budget, but now midrange is priced more than high end used to be

17. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

Because everyone and their dog would have bought one making them a bonafide option again. They had a chance to ride on the positivity of their current CPU reputation but they didn't, they went stupid. That's why?
    I wouldn't call that charity, it's building a buyer base and securing a future market for their GPU division. Instead they killed it.

18. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

I don't really call it stupid, it's what pretty much every company in the world does. Look at competitors in a segment, see how your product holds up and price accordingly. No company is going to make a loss for months and keep their shareholders happy.

19. Gibbo

Commissario

Prices do not include the tariff. But that is the US's prices issue, if it effects us too then your looking at 25% but as I am buying product every day in USD there has being zero impact on products I import to the UK.

20. Illuminist

Wise Guy