• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Associate
Yes it will affect Nvidia cards as well, but it doesn't affect anything thats already on container ships at sea en-route to the US, so Nvidia and AMD both may have a small window in which to not be impacted. However going forward it could see prices in the US increase substantially, and prices here actually be less than US prices for a change.

doesn't affect anything already cleared customs. If its at sea it will be affected by a tarrif change.

Caporegime
Am not saying AMDs sharpening is DLSS but my point still stands if it creates the same outcome making 1440p look like 4k while keeping the performance of 1440p then its a simple Win, win. It doesn't matter if it's not using AI to achieve this.
AMD seems confident enough about this putting it on the show floor again will just need to wait and see what the community thinks when it's released.

It doesn't create the same outcome though, it does soemthign fundamental different and produces something fundamentally different, and nvidia have been offering that sharpening for 2 years now.

Sharpening doesn't increase resolution. It doesn't make a 1440p image look like a 4k image, it simply increases micro-contrast on edges.

Soldato

However @D.P. from the article posted

Nvidia doesn’t claim to be offering an exact alternative to AMD’s latest technologies, rather a reminder to folks that there are options available. But, whichever way you look at it, this latest bout of announcements from team red has ruffled enough feathers over at Nvidia HQ to warrant a swift response. There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

So is all about the headlines.

Soldato
It doesn't create the same outcome though, it does soemthign fundamental different and produces something fundamentally different, and nvidia have been offering that sharpening for 2 years now.

Sharpening doesn't increase resolution. It doesn't make a 1440p image look like a 4k image, it simply increases micro-contrast on edges.

It doesn't matter how you try and word the outcome remains the same DLSS uses a lower image to create a better-looking image, in theory, 4K its all fake! Sharpening the image to create a fake image that looks like a 4k image its all the same. What does it better remains the question.

The outcome for each of these is to create something better without the performance cost! DLSS is put in place from the performance cost Ray Tracing takes away playing the game at a much lower res and creating a image that is 4k
AMD takes a lower res and sharpening it up to make you see a better-looking image 4k!

That are both fake! Either way!

Edit
To look good you need a native monitor supporting the res you want. So in my case, I own 1440p so I would use AMD sharpening tool at 1080p getting 1080p performance while in theory making it look like am still gaming at 1440p

Soldato
They are different things. What AMD is doing is upscaling the native image to make it sharper.

Nvidia is using an upscaled, lower resolution image. Which is why there is loads of quality loss. It's like stretching a smaller image.

Caporegime
I don't think anywhere has been claimed that AMD's sharpening thing is meant to let you render a 1080p image on a 1440p panel to retain same IQ as a 1440p render lol.

I thought it was about adding detail to your native render.

Associate
Personally I look to get a 100% increase in performance when I upgrade, and as such I would probably hold on to your 980ti a bit longer of you can (I think the only card that can 100% improve your 980ti is maybe a 2080ti and even that may be close. Nothing I have seen from AMD qualifies by that metric afaik. That said worth is subjective and some people upgrade even for a 20% improvement
This^. For me it's in the +70% ballpark before I even consider reaching for my wallet, which is roughly the third GPU up the nVidia performance stack from what I own.

The 2080Ti was enough to make me upgrade from a 1080, but sadly I had two duds in a row, so back to sitting on my two 1080s until the RTX 21xx/30xx series gets released. Nothing announced from AMD has blown me away so far sadly.

Soldato
It doesn't matter how you try and word the outcome remains the same DLSS uses a lower image to create a better-looking image, in theory, 4K its all fake! Sharpening the image to create a fake image that looks like a 4k image its all the same. What does it better remains the question.

The outcome for each of these is to create something better without the performance cost! DLSS is put in place from the performance cost Ray Tracing takes away playing the game at a much lower ref and creating a image that is 4k
AMD takes a lower res and sharpening it up to make you see a better-looking image 4k!

That are both fake! Either way!

4K DLSS is no different than taking a 1440p and upscaling it. It lightly touches the image removing some noise sharpening a bit. However it is proven displays worse image quality than take a 1440p 2x AA image and upscale it to 4K.

FidelityFX and the auto image sharpening is similar to the following example.
Elder Scrolls online, even you max out the settings, the textures do not look that sharp. Settings MIPs to -3 greatly sharpens the image but affects performance in towns (too many different textures), as it is getting processed by the CPU. (Hero Engine). Here we have the same functionality automatically applied on GPU driver level with 0.5% (worst case) perf hit.
(simple example can go technical if needed).

Personally I was pretty underwhelmed with AMD 5700XT performance showcasing until started reading between the lines last couple of days.
First of all the 5700XT resolves issues GCN had in games like Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, Witcher 3. To the point is 28%, 22%, 19% respectively faster than a Vega 64 and 2-5% faster than the 2070.

Radeon rep said that "gaming clock" is 1755. Which the clock we would see on the "reference/blower" model when playing games. Stating a max clock 1905, means that something like the Nitro or the RedDevil with 3 fan cooler without tweaking might be sticking to 1900 clock out of the box when gaming, that would push the card making Radeon VII and RTX2080 less than 6% faster. And those two cards are 50% more expensive.

Soldato
However @D.P. from the article posted

So is all about the headlines.

Got that particular individual on the ignore list, so I didn't see. I did read through the article but my take on it is they don't know the details yet so they don't want to commit to saying "we have this exact thing" but they can say they have something similar. We'll see how it pans out when someone can get their hands on them.

Soldato
I don't think anywhere has been claimed that AMD's sharpening thing is meant to let you render a 1080p image on a 1440p panel to retain same IQ as a 1440p render lol.

I thought it was about adding detail to your native render.

Well, they have do you think I just picked this info out of thin air?

AMD says this sharpening of textures makes 1080p look close to 1440p when upscaled on a higher resolution monitor.

Read the sign next to Radeon PC - Draws out detail to combat image blur when upscaled to higher resolution 4k
https://youtu.be/uPpdtXFx7gQ?t=262

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom