1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. D.P.

Caporegime

Exactly this. There is no upscaling at all.

Think of it as simply playing with the screen contrast settings. It isn't changing the resolution at all, it is just making some dark pixels darker and some light pixels.lighterx particularly on edges. This makes it look slightly sharper, but the resolution is the same.

The bottom line is with AMD and Nvidia's sharpening, there is no performance benefit and no upscaling, simply the image quality changes

2. thenewoc

Mobster

I've been a bad geek and lost track of the names and possible line up but I was referring to what I saw in an earlier post, so an RX3090 or RX3090XT...

[​IMG]

3. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Ok, just a thought considering @Gibbo's latest GPU deals.

This is obviously to clear stock of current cards in preparation for the incoming new range. But, and it's a big but, why does it seem that AMD are clearing everything, including the Radeon VII?

Surely the VII still has a place as their top product. Unless there is more to come from NAVI?

It did seem strange to me that the launch was of a singular 'series', the 5700/XT. Normally there would be more to a launch than that. Is there a possibility that AMD were holding back on any other tier NAVI cards which will appear before too much longer? Surely two cards aren't replacing AMD's entire graphics stack?

4. Troezar

Mobster

I think the Radeon VII was just a low volume production run to plug a gap. Too expensive to make money on. They'll just let it sell out then replace it with maybe a 5800XT? Also probably waiting for Nvidia's response.

5. Pulseammo

Wise Guy

Gibbo said in another thread it was always meant as a limited quantity card because they are making gaming cards using their professional cards which means every VII is sold at a loss for AMD. Guess they are just trying to stop that loss by not making them any more.

6. nashathedog

Sgarrista

That's the bit that got my attention. It'll be interesting too see if it's the same with other titles Nvidia usually run away with.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. Martini1991

Caporegime

That doesn't actually say what you're stating.

In that they're rendering at a none native resolution on a 4K monitor and comparing IQ using their RIS to DLSS doing "native" 4K.

Not that they're making 1080p look like 1440p.

If I ever ran the image sharpener I'd run it on my native render, best IQ all around?

But of course it's an AMD thing, so you're not going to be objective.
    It's best I just pretend that it's the best thing on the planet.

8. shankly1985

Capodecina

Watch the AMD video above DP for god sake lol The guy clearly talks about upscaling the image from 1440p to 4k

9. Chrisc

Hitman

Cheers mate, ill have a look into it

10. Martini1991

Caporegime

You're taking the word upscale to mean something it doesn't.

Running a 750Ti on a 4K monitor with your resolution set to 2560x1440 is also "upscaling" (Assuming you're not using 1:1 pixel mapping)

11. shankly1985

Capodecina

No I have said multiple times now we just after wait and see come July 7th. All I have been posting is information from the internet. How good AMDs feature is I don't know! So don't try and move the ballpark with me.
    In the video he clearly says the demo is running at 1440p and upscaled to 4k. I have also told you this! You will need a native res for this to work so in my case 1440p I could run a game at 1080p and use this RIS to get a 1440p image for the cost of 1080p image.

And for the record, I got the 1080p to 1440p from the website write up I posted. AMDs own words!

12. Martini1991

Caporegime

Well that's obviously a load of crap :p

13. ltron

Wise Guy

Maybe they want to bait Nvidia into showing their hand and reducing their prices.

14. Illuminist

Wise Guy

There will probably be a 5600 and xt and 5500 and xt to cover the lower ends, but im not sure as they are precious about the series name being nostalgic so a 4700? and a 3700 ? but then if they go up it will be 6700 and 7700 which is stepping on their own toes

So more likely the former, with a 5800xt or 5700 XTX or something, when all i hoped for was a 5900 xtx ,2080ti slayer

#ramblingashavenoidea

15. Illuminist

Wise Guy

They just leaked the super!

with a 2080ti super in the line up, to launch this year !
    21st of this month for the announcement apparently

16. Ross Thomson

Hitman

They have bascially moved the cards up a tier and kept the same price.

17. flea.rider

Hitman

so there was 6 cards leaked we have seen 2 .... let NVidia play there hand ... then we will see another 2 .. price drop another 2 .. all taking the last lots price point ... we can hope ..

18. Scougar

Capodecina

Nvidia always seem to keep something in the tank with their designs. They are smart. AMD so far always runs them at max options leaving them no room to enable anything extra.

19. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Yeah they are shifting the stack up a tier, bringing down the price of the current 2000 series, which will destroy navi easily now and having better performance on the super range for the same price of the last gen,
    Pretty smart move, and also suprising, the 2080ti super will be so very powerful considering my friend bought s 2080ti and said its overkill for most games

20. thenewoc

Mobster

They can always enable more heat :p