• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Associate
AMD blower cooler.

giphy.gif

i just want to know if the morphues is compatible, since that with decent fans beats every single after market cooler.

Caporegime
Buyers like yourself, who do the research, are going to buy the best value card and the best value card under $500 is the 2070 Super. But, the small few people like yourself who are on the fence, you guys won't make much of a difference to AMD's bottom line or their market share.

I still would appreciate it if you gave me an answer.

Do you think many consumers would pick the 5700xt @$375 over the 2060 Super at $399? Would you? It would be a tough choice, that's for sure. With what we know about both, I would pick the 2060 Super.

What price would the 5700xt have to be for you to say, yes, that's the card for me? I will give my answer to this, if I was looking to buy now, Navi would have to be $325 (the 5700xt) for me to pick it over the 2060 Super.

Nah, I am not saying only fanboys will pay the high prices, I am just playing devil's advocate really.

And I sort of disagree with your last statement. AMD might not win market share but if they truly think it's a starting point for the future, then it might be a good enough card to win mindshare. Think of an AMD GPU launch over the last few years, they have always been botched in some way. The price is terrible compared to mid range cards from years ago, but, in the current market the price is poor but not terrible compared to the cards around it. As long as they release a card that has no major flaws and gives the same performance as the AMD Slides suggest then they will have a solid offering. If Navi has some decent overclocking headroom, that would be a plus.

In 4 days time we will find out :)

The 5700XT at $375 is a better buy than a 2060 Super at $399.
I'd personally pick the 5700XT in that case. It offers better performance and it's cheaper. That's what I care about.

If the 5700XT launched at £350, and reviews depending that would be the price that I'm willing to put my money down and buy it.

At the same price I'd pick a 5700XT over a 2060 Super.

I predominately buy AMD GPU's. So to make me turn towards buying an Nvidia 2070 Super is surely worrying for AMD, as I believe my mindset is probably the more realistic mindset for the majority of AMD GPU owners, bar the fanboys.

Associate
Its the other way around for me, Nvidia will have to offer something more than just a few % over AMDs cards at the same (or more) money.
I got a 1080ti last year because it was the fastest and AMD had nowt to compete, but with the 2070 super the 5700xt (and special edition) sit - AMD has the better drivers and software stack while nvidia has useless RTX.

That said i aint chopping out the 1080ti for a long time.

Soldato
Its the other way around for me, Nvidia will have to offer something more than just a few % over AMDs cards at the same (or more) money.
I got a 1080ti last year because it was the fastest and AMD had nowt to compete, but with the 2070 super the 5700xt (and special edition) sit - AMD has the better drivers and software stack while nvidia has useless RTX.

That said i aint chopping out the 1080ti for a long time.
No reason to tbf

Permabanned
The VII is most under rated card, with all the ( its a cut down chip going around, so are all the cards under the titan RTX cut down versions ) The VII with its 16g of vram offers 2070s beating performance and matches the 2080 also an outstanding compute card it really is the one to go for outside of the 2080 super if the 2080s matches its price point which I dout. at 4k it performs nicely 1440p also.

The VII's a great card, I'll be keeping mine until 2020 at least, It's not really a 2080 beater though, it tends to depend on the game but overall I think the 2080 is a bit faster, just nothing to worry about, It does a great job for me at 3440x1440.

I must admit i was dissapointed with the memory on the RTX2080 as well.... and is a large reason why i went for a 1080ti myself (the £90 price difference at the time also played a role!)

Since then driver improvements has meant the rtx2080 has gotten a little more performance improvements and i am not certain i would make the same decision today if i could <shrugs> to each their own i guess..... but after all the lambasting of nvidia on their pricing for AMD to essentially be charging just as much as nvidia but with imo a less interesting architecture I just could not buy into it myself.

full fat navi with Raytracing will be the next time i consider AMD i think. i really hope that gets AMD back punching at the high end with a comparable feature set (even if not the absolute top end) Prices will need to be something like however... I am not one of those who hate Nvidia for their pricing but give AMD a free pass for <reasons>

I totally forgot about freesync however (because my TV does not support Free or G sync) and that is a very good point.

From what I've seen the performance of last gen Nvidia cards always starts to drop off within a few months of being replaced, There's nothing untoward going on it's just that the focus shifts but it's why I didn't also consider the GTX 1080ti when I was choosing between the VII & the RTX2080.

Thanks to the apparent success of Ryzen (I'm presuming it has been a success) AMD'll be properly back in the game competing head on with *Nvidia in a couple more years time so I'm looking to grab a 3rd gen Ryzen and a big Navi or whatever AMD's high end replacement will be in 2020 if that's when it lands.

*People talk about AMD supporting their older gpu's better but I think the reason AMD's performance of older gen cards doesn't drop off so quickly in the last few years is because they rebadge the same chips a lot of the time. :D Look at the 7850 for example, not only did it remain in the squad for 3 generations it actually went up a tier for the 3rd & final rebadge which seems crazy to me, Then there's Hawaii/Grenada and most recently Polaris which also went up a tier at the end. :D When they do get back in the game it'll be interesting to see how things age then.

Associate
Not sure what reviews you guys have read, but the 2060 Super is basically the same performance as the 2070 and it has the same amount of Ram as the 5700xt, they both have 8GB.

The AMD slides have the 5700XT slightly faster than the 2070. Which I am guessing are best case scenarios.

And if we go by your examples, the 580 and 1060, where the better performing card with more ram was actually outsold 10-1. That doesn't bode well for the 5700xt.

We have the price from AMD and we have the performance slides from AMD and the reviews of the new Nvidia cards are already out.

My post was simply asking somebody who thinks the price is too high what card would he choose if the 5700xt was $75 cheaper, based purely on the performance information we have now. And at what price would he consider the 5700xt a must buy.

They are hypothetical questions as we already know the price of 5700xt and its $449.

All I mean by waiting four days for reviews is to see if AMD has released a solid card or made some silly mistake like their last few releases.

Your fanboy comment is stupid.

As for Devils Advocate, it wasn't about picking AMD or Nvidia, it was about the price argument. I was taking point of view that AMD set the price right. Which is not what I believe, I think it's too high.

If the 2060S hits 2070 levels though the 5700XT would still be 5-10% quicker on launch, which is significant. And then we might get fine wine with driver support. AMD included Nvidia friendly titles in those benchmarks IIRC

Soldato
From what I've seen the performance of last gen Nvidia cards always starts to drop off within a few months of being replaced, There's nothing untoward going on it's just that the focus shifts but it's why I didn't also consider the GTX 1080ti when I was choosing between the VII & the RTX2080.

Say's this isn't true, unless you have anything to back up what your saying, I know my 970GTX performance is in no way gimped compared to years ago when I bought it :)

Soldato
it would be really great if Lisa pops up on Sunday and says "oops my mistake, did I say $450?, I meant $350" That would really disrupt everything, but yeah wishful thinking, I just hope it can just about match the 2070 super at least then its a slightly better value

The market has already been disrupted by Navi. I had to pay £750 for my laptop to have 1080GTX in Jan 2017. I have three laptops on rotation. Nvidia ripped us all a new one. Personally, I won't be repeating that.

When upgrade time comes in 2020 and I need to upgrade 3 laptops, thanks to Navi there is no conceivable situation where the cost will be that high again. Navi has come knocking !

Soldato
The frame-times for the RVII also remain excellent, it might be the 16GB HBM doing the trick but its not just about raw fps readings, hah i never thought i would write that about an AMD card.

Big Navi with 16GB on chip HBM? Probably technically impossible but you never know. It is a really tempting thought.

Soldato
Big Navi with 16GB on chip HBM? Probably technically impossible but you never know. It is a really tempting thought.
Why "technically impossible"? It's actually very likely. The board power of the existing Navi 10 cards is quite high already so it's not outside the realms of possibility that Navi 20 would need to go HBM just to keep the power under control (much like Vega).

Soldato
The frame-times for the RVII also remain excellent, it might be the 16GB HBM doing the trick but its not just about raw fps readings, hah i never thought i would write that about an AMD card.

Not at all, Navi can handle both GDDR6 or HBM2, I saw some details somewhere for the memory controller and it said that. I'm definitely holding out for 16 & above GB. My next upgrade is gonna be for 8K, so a measly 11gb won't cut it. VII was a bit too early for me as standards haven't caught up yet (HDMI 2.1, etc).

Soldato
Why "technically impossible"? It's actually very likely. The board power of the existing Navi 10 cards is quite high already so it's not outside the realms of possibility that Navi 20 would need to go HBM just to keep the power under control (much like Vega).

reticle limit due to die size.

Associate
AMD blower cooler.

Have you watched the interview with the AMD guys by pcworld? The choice of a blower over an axial fan cooler is explicitly discussed and the reason given why the blower was chosen.

If you haven't, the short answer is that AMD consider that non enthusiasts are less likely to have decent airflow in a case and it's better for this market segment to directly vent the hot air out of the case to try and ensure the product stays cool ... At the expense of noise.

Would explain why Nvidia have generally done the same for founders edition cards (up until rtx)

Soldato
I think AMD have missed a trick here. They know the CPUs will dominate.

They should provide like a $20-$50 Radeon voucher with every CPU, or get retailers to offer discounts on the cards if bought with CPUs.

Recently saw evidence that these Navi card were indeed supposed to be RX 680 and RX 690 respectively. I guess we now know why they renamed them. It also might mean there are no 5800 and above cards to come.

Caporegime
I think AMD have missed a trick here. They know the CPUs will dominate.

They should provide like a $20-$50 Radeon voucher with every CPU, or get retailers to offer discounts on the cards if bought with CPUs.

Recently saw evidence that these Navi card were indeed supposed to be RX 680 and RX 690 respectively. I guess we now know why they renamed them. It also might mean there are no 5800 and above cards to come.

It definitely means there are no 5800 or anything else. This is as high as Navi 10 will go. At some point after next summer there should be the Navi 20 and they should offer a bigger core high end GPU.

Associate
It definitely means there are no 5800 or anything else. This is as high as Navi 10 will go. At some point after next summer there should be the Navi 20 and they should offer a bigger core high end GPU.

We really don't know that for certain, it's still all guesswork until AMD say otherwise. If they wait until after next summer, then I think that would be a big own goal, with the way Nvidia are pumping out cards.

Back
Top Bottom