• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
One area I’m very excited about is the storage.

Both Xbox and ps5 are going to use an pcie4 SSD as a super fast system memory cache to store data in - data that can be called upon instantly.

The upside is both camps are promising that loading times is a thing of the past - no longer will any games have any loading screens, or loading elevators etc.

I hope this tech comes to PC eventually. Even with a pcie 4 ssd, the way PC works you can’t get rid of loading screens because the PC doesn’t know you want the data before you actually open the game and hit the loading screen. Next gen consoles preload data into the memory cache so that when you call it (loading the next map) it gets the data instantly and no loading screen is needed

So in about 18 months time the new Xbox will have a gpu roughly on par with a vega 64/1080 which once the games are suitably nerfed should be able to hit native 4K/60?

Wow, just wow. No wonder people are predicting the death of pc gaming!

Well yeah probably around the vega 64 level once you account for raw Navi tflops and it’s 25% ipc over vega to make an estimation. The Navi 5700xt that AMD recently announced is probably the GPU that powers next gen machines. But on top of this it could have new features that Vega didn’t - for instance it might use adaptive shading, which gives you a 15% performance boost and that’s just one trick to boost performance

Last edited:
Soldato
@TheRealDeal

Yup, exactly.

I always give this example. If you turn volumetric clouds to ultra in AC: Odyssey you get a 40% performance hit. When you look at 2080ti benchmark results you then think "omg 4k 60 fps is impossible not even 2080 ti can do it", but then you look at a properly set-up game and all of a sudden performance is just oozing everywhere. Same with DX:MD and CHS, Metro & Advanced DOF, same with a lot of other games, with a lot of other settings. No real visual drop but a lot more performance.

That's for real all I have to do on AC:O!? I've been playing on high preset on my 1080ti and still getting drops to 45fps in 4k lol. I should really look into these things more.

Soldato

5900XT hahahah :D some times those "leaking" stuff doing it for click baiting pure and simple.
Though considering if we saw the 5700 at Computex and the 5900 is real, would explain the hurry of Nvigridia drop prices and put out the full chips.

Funny bit, the 5000 series from ATI was the epitome of great GPUs, beating the crap out of the Nvidia counterparts that period. History repeat itself? :confused:

Soldato
5900XT hahahah :D some times those "leaking" stuff doing it for click baiting pure and simple.
Though considering if we saw the 5700 at Computex and the 5900 is real, would explain the hurry of Nvigridia drop prices and put out the full chips.

Funny bit, the 5000 series from ATI was the epitome of great GPUs, beating the crap out of the Nvidia counterparts that period. History repeat itself?
That's weird from the other leaks it was said that it's going to be 5700 gt, 5700 xt, 5700 xtx, 5700 pro like the old days??

I guess we will find out in 9 hours and bit

Permabanned
40 compute units
9.75 TFlops
8GB GDDR6
1905 MHz Max clock
1755 MHz Game clock
1605 MHz Base clock

6ispef.png

https://videocardz.com/80966/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-picture-and-specs-leaked

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I just can't believe they've shot themselves in the foot with the damn blower cooler again! Explains why the 'game' clock is so much lower than the boost clock. Teased us with the R VII axial cooler then ripped it away :( Guess it's mod with AIO or wait months for the partner designs. *sigh*

Soldato
Mostly agree if they use the blower but who in the right mind buys them. We all know better to wait on a decent cooler if sticking with air. Sapphire alone are touting a toxic version which suggest there is plenty of performance to unlock with decent cooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just can't believe they've shot themselves in the foot with the damn blower cooler again! Explains why the 'game' clock is so much lower than the boost clock. Teased us with the R VII axial cooler then ripped it away :( Guess it's mod with AIO or wait months for the partner designs. *sigh*

Completely agree. I don't know why they refuse to look into different coolers, it's actually making Navi less appealing regardless of performance.

Permabanned

Completely agree. I don't know why they refuse to look into different coolers, it's actually making Navi less appealing regardless of performance.

My prediction is this.
Smal navi will be blower cooler and big navi will have dual fan cooler with ray tracing and will come 2020

Blower coolers are indeed bad and must be avoided at all cost like the plague. These coolers introduce low ventilation efficiency, which leads to worse thermals for the components on the PCB, less gaming framerates performance and last but not least they cause unbearable amount of unpleasant sounds coming from the air that tries to escape from the little furnace out there.

Meh, from 1 to 10, I give blower coolers a 0.

Soldato
My prediction is this.
Smal navi will be blower cooler and big navi will have dual fan cooler with ray tracing and will come 2020
I said this a few pages back, dxr is locked to nvidia until next year when it is free reign when the agreement runs out, no one believed me but I don't care, I know what's up. Raytracing with software and hardware will be for both companies

Soldato
Mostly agree if they use the blower but who in the right mid buys them.
Water coolers. There's nothing more annoying that waiting for blocks for custom PCBs and then you pay a premium for a beastly air cooler you're never going to use. Give me a reference card with a cheap-ass cooler I can bin any day.

Also, I know a lot of people who crank their headphones up so loud they can't hear a blower cooler screaming away in the background, so noise isn't an issue for them.

Soldato
I hope ray-tracing effects is not going to be center of gravity in gaming for the next years. As a value-add, it's far less interesting than a continued evolution of VR and AR.

Soldato
Blower coolers are indeed bad and must be avoided at all cost like the plague. These coolers introduce low ventilation efficiency, which leads to worse thermals for the components on the PCB, less gaming framerates performance and last but not least they cause unbearable amount of unpleasant sounds coming from the air that tries to escape from the little furnace out there.

Meh, from 1 to 10, I give blower coolers a 0.

Blower fans are not that bad tbh
It just takes the users to know the limits, take my VEGA 64 for example if I aim for a reasonable clock speed that is 1500 then my temps and noise level is actually quite good. But if I start punishing for unrealistic targets then the GPU will get hotter and more noise will be heard.
Blower fans actually are better for the overall system also because they push the hot air out the case rather than dumping it into the system and having the CPU and Motherboard and PSU etc heat up.

lower fans just require users to have realistic expectations.

Back
Top Bottom