• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Good luck with it mate, I would have gone for the gelid icy personally with it been cheaper and slightly better at cooling the vrm's but I'm sure the arctic will do a good job, looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Good luck and post up some pics when you have done it.

Will do!

I'll try to get some screenshots of GPU and VRM temps with stock cooler and with the Accelero fitted.

Ah, thanks. Like they say in that thread, that's cutting it awfully close to christmas. Especially here in Finland, where availability of new cards is usually, well... not good. :p

Any ideas how much the custom R9 290 will come in at? if you had to guess etc :)

My layman's guess? Probably not considerably higher from the reference versions (excluding the premium models like Asus Matrix, naturally).
Of course, initial limited supply will likely jack up the price some, but that's often the price of impatience. And boy am I impatient!

got my block sat there waiting for my time and patience at the weekend. only problem is now i am wondering if i should order another card and block and do it all at once.....

Sapphire, HIS IceQ, Gigabyte Windforce all good. MSI Frozr also good but they had some problems last gen so let's see if they mess up again.

You also have the higher-end models like MSI Lightning, Asus Matrix / DCuII that use cherry-picked components.

Im wondering how close a Toxic 290 pro will be to a stock 290x, im guessing fairly close, and then the OC'ing potential should push it past a stock 290x, but a stock 290x can be pushed even further.

I have / had a 6950 Toxic, lovely card

I just installed my Sapphire r290 pro. Can I check some settings and result with you guy?

In Overdrive I have set the:

Power limit to +50%
Target GPU temp to 90c
Max fan speed to 55%

In Afterburner I unlocked voltage control and disabled ULPS.

My I5 2500k is currently running at 4Ghz. I have a new mobo turning up tomorrow so I am hoping I can push this a bit more then.

I ran a quick Heaven 4 bench, standard "OCUK forum thread" settings and got a score of 1256 with the 290pro at stock core/gpu settings. Is that an acceptable score, given the CPU etc?

Afterburner reported max core temps of 87c and a max fan speed of 39%

I checked the ASIC value and its 71.2 for this particular card.

Everything as it should be? Do I need to make any other changes?

I'll do some overclocking once the new mobo is installed, but for now i'll keep it like this and play some BF4 tonight.

PS. it's not a lot louder than my 4 case fans Benching heaven.
PPS. I get a second or 2 of coil whine when exiting Heaven, but then it go's silent.
Cheers, Matt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom