• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

No coil wine at all only in the usual areas like unigine credits.

I went for the powercolor because I haven't seen one report of someone flashing one and it not unlocking, glad I did tbh and for what I paid for it I have saved over £100 from buying a 290x, I used the powercolor bios on techpowerup the 128kb one as the other 2 are only 64kb and I don't know if that's normal as all my 290 biose's so far come out at 128kb (maybe they were on an older atiflash?) Anyway I am gonna go do some benching now at the stock 1030/1250 then see what it can do, I'm hoping the Hynix memory is a better overclocker than my Elpida Sapphire.

No coil wine at all only in the usual areas like unigine credits.

I went for the powercolor because I haven't seen one report of someone flashing one and it not unlocking, glad I did tbh and for what I paid for it I have saved over £100 from buying a 290x, I used the powercolor bios on techpowerup the 128kb one as the other 2 are only 64kb and I don't know if that's normal as all my 290 biose's so far come out at 128kb (maybe they were on an older atiflash?) Anyway I am gonna go do some benching now at the stock 1030/1250 then see what it can do, I'm hoping the Hynix memory is a better overclocker than my Elpida Sapphire.

Yh all three of my XFX cards were Elpida, to be fair I didn't really try to overclock so they may have been fine. Just want to get home from work now, have a doctors appointment too which will further delay me! :p

Should have thrown a sicky!

I wasn't expecting my card until tomorrow but glad I was in for it to be delivered today, took from last Tuesday to get my refund back from OCUK and the prices seem to be creeping up or stock disappearing last few days so I am glad I got an unlockable card in time and with Hynix memory, I don't care one bit for what anyone says about the Elpida memory, its clearly inferior to the Hynix stuff not just from my own experience but going by the people with problems and low overclocks in forums its almost always the elpida crap.

The Hynix memory on my 7990 did clock well up to 1800 on the air cooler. I think and I'm not entirely sure that my GTX 780 HOF had Elpida and could manage 1700 but that was it's absolute limit wheras I'm pretty sure the 7990 memory would have pushed on under water.

So for someone who is lazy (me). Could someone fill me in on which makes mod to the 290x with no problems? I want to upgrade my rig in December with a shiny new GPU combined with a piledriver 8350 and a beefy CPU cooler.

So which makes the best for the 290x mod, and do you think AMD will try and stop the mod flash? I think some maufacturers have done this in the past >:0

My internet sucks so I really CBA to read back through the thread.

TALK TO ME!

Some XFX cards have flashed, also as above powercolor cards. Ocuk got a batch of VTX and HIS cards that unlocked and charged a premium to guarantee a card with working shaders.

Regardless I'd be shocked if there are cards still in circulation by december which have 290X Gpu's. Obviously I can't say for sure but I would say buying in December it may be harder to source one which unlocks.

Bit the bullet and ordered that Sapphire 290 today, 300 notes for that card + BF4 + Silver ticket is stupidly crazy not to jump ontop of. As people point out, the unlocked 290's are only 3% or so faster. Running 1080p this card will be more than i need for a good long while.

Just a quick question chaps....

Can this thing run BF4 @ 1920 x 1080 - Ultra at a stable 60fps?

And by this I mean 64 player multiplayer not the single player campaign..
With your current CPU, it won't be solid 60fps regardless on what graphic card you use.

Upgrade to a FX8320 (if your motherboard's power phasing is good enough for it).

Last edited:
Na no offense meant...there's just too many post in threads like this and thought it'd faster to just ask :p

But had they actually been able to unlock, would you have try to put up with the coil whine (since I think they do eventually die down?)?

Surely you're less likely to get unlockable cards from OCUK if they are already going through stock and unlocking them and selling them as such for a higher price? By definition, the cards that are left will have been tested and will have failed to unlock because they are true 290 chips, and not 290X chips that have been used on a 290 card.

No, it will dip to as low as 40FPS in some instances depending what's going on.

But for the most part is 60FPS all the way :)

Hmm that will do. It's dips which go to below 25fps which really p*** me off. 40fps is still smooth on the frostbite engine. I'm sure FPS will improve after a few game patches / better drivers in the same way BF3 has done over the past two years ;)

Either way it should be a huge improvement from a 6870 :P

No, it will dip to as low as 40FPS in some instances depending what's going on.

But for the most part is 60FPS all the way :)

depends what cpu you use and OC.
6 core 4930k at 4.6ghz or so would suffice to handle the cpu part until mantle comes out.

I can run path of exile at 5040x1050 with my 290 maxed out which was impossible with my 7970. 1160mhz for my 290 currently.

Back
Top Bottom