• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Mantle Patch rumored for BF4 is sometime in Dec, this is not garaunteed though i guess. you will know when it lands either from the mass of disappointed posts from AMD users, or the mass of WTF posts from Nvidia users ;)

Apologies if it's already been asked, but do certain card manufacturers/brands use elpida and others hynix, and is there much (if any) difference in terms of overclocks on the RAM between the two types of RAM chips?

Apologies if it's already been asked, but do certain card manufacturers/brands use elpida and others hynix, and is there much (if any) difference in terms of overclocks on the RAM between the two types of RAM chips?

Completely random! My Powercolors I'm not sure what ram they all have as I can't identify all of them with the application

Can anybody comment on how loud the cards run? Is it really that much of a problem? Thinking of picking one up this week.

It is a subjective matter really as what one person finds reasonable you may not. They emit a whoosh sound at 40%+ which is audible.

Also Success!!! All three of my powercolor cards unlock to 290x :) No coil whine as yet so really very pleased with that.

Depends on if you use headphones while gaming and if your PC is in a room where others will hear it.

Under full gaming load, the stock fan will sit close at the 47% max fan speed and I found my HIS flavoured one to have quite a high-pitched whine at this speed. Considerably louder/noticeable than my old HIS 7950 Boost and I didn't think that was a very quiet card.

So has anyone tried mounting Arctic Accelero Hybrid on r9 290(x)? I heard its possible, but I haven't seen anyone actually show how to do it (and whether it requires additional heatsinks or not).

Is there an after market cooler that does not involve mounting extra heatsinks? If not, which cooler requires the least know-how/work to mount?

I'm fed up with waiting, so I'll probably get a reference 290 now, mount an aftermarket cooler and get a 2nd r9 290 once the aftermarket coolers arrive.

EDIT: Found a description of Hybrid installation... not really surprising http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/7790#post_21251668

Last edited:
FYI of my three powercolor cards, two have Elpida and one has hynix.

Glad to hear your 3 unlocked mate, shame about 2 of em having the elpida garbage fitted but I suppose you can't complain when you've now got 3x 290x

I've been overclocking mine last night and today, it will do 1100/1500 stable with +50mv in afterburner, with +100mv it will do 1175/1600 but I am happy with 1100/1500 out of it, amazing performance at my resolution.

So currently the air cooling methods include:

- gelid icy vision
- arctic accelero hybrid
- arctic accelero xtreme 3
- prolimatech mk-26

All of the above require additional heatsinks and certain skill of DIY handiwork, is that correct?

I'm looking for the easiest solution here, but it seems that all of these require mounting additional heatsinks which is quite troublesome and probably beyond my skills (especially with the troubleshooting afterwards...)

So currently the air cooling methods include:

- gelid icy vision
- arctic accelero hybrid
- arctic accelero xtreme 3
- prolimatech mk-26

All of the above require additional heatsinks and certain skill of DIY handiwork, is that correct?

I'm looking for the easiest solution here, but it seems that all of these require mounting additional heatsinks which is quite troublesome and probably beyond my skills (especially with the troubleshooting afterwards...)

It's not actually that hard to fit a custom cooler. The hard bit, as you say, is any troubleshooting that needs doing afterwards. The results are fantastic though, my Prolimatech MK-26 is amazing.

It's not actually that hard to fit a custom cooler. The hard bit, as you say, is any troubleshooting that needs doing afterwards. The results are fantastic though, my Prolimatech MK-26 is amazing.

Yeah, I'm seeing insane results, which is why I want to go with this anyway.

What issues can I expect other than the heatsinks?
How to make sure that the heatsinks stay where they are?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to assess the situation here.

Yeah, I'm seeing insane results, which is why I want to go with this anyway.

What issues can I expect other than the heatsinks?
How to make sure that the heatsinks stay where they are?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to assess the situation here.

I posted my thread a few posts up, that answers both your questions.

Glad to hear your 3 unlocked mate, shame about 2 of em having the elpida garbage fitted but I suppose you can't complain when you've now got 3x 290x

I've been overclocking mine last night and today, it will do 1100/1500 stable with +50mv in afterburner, with +100mv it will do 1175/1600 but I am happy with 1100/1500 out of it, amazing performance at my resolution.

Yh not a big deal about the hynix memory, 3 290X's for just over the price of 2 is pretty good ;)

Also unlike my XFX cards these do not have a warranty void sticker over the retention screws so will be applying some gelid extreme thermal paste to see if I can drop temps/reduce throttling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom