• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Would someone mind sharing their experience with Battlefield 4 @ 1440p (multiplayer) please?

I'm seeing dips to ~35FPS but then quite often it'll sit at ~70FPS. The game never quite feels smooth but my GPU usage sits at 99% most of the time but it does spike a little.

4770K @ 4.4GHz
16GB RAM @ 1333MHz C9
Sapphire R9 290 @ 1120/1450
Battlefield 4: 1440p at Ultra settings but 2x MSAA

I just want to know if I'm perhaps expecting too much from one card.

Last edited:
Would someone mind sharing their experience with Battlefield 4 @ 1440p (multiplayer) please?

I'm seeing dips to ~35FPS but then quite often it'll sit at ~70FPS. The game never quite feels smooth but my GPU usage sits at 99% most of the time but it does spike a little.

4770K @ 4.4GHz
16GB RAM @ 1333MHz C9
Sapphire R9 290 @ 1120/1450
Battlefield 4: 1440p at Ultra settings but 2x MSAA

I just want to know if I'm perhaps expecting too much from one card.
BF4 on 2560 res...and with 2xMSAA applied...with a single 290? I would have to say yes. If you are expecting minimum 55-60fps, then may be you are thinking 1920 res...

BF4 on 2560 res...and with 2xMSAA applied...with a single 290? I would have to say yes. If you are expecting minimum 55-60fps, then may be you are thinking 1920 res...

I think you might be right. I'm busy playing the campaign, and the part where you're standing in front of that skyscraper in Shanghai with the fountains out the front completely murders the card when it's set to Ultra, even with MSAA disabled.

Knocking the settings down to High keeps the FPS above 60. Time for another 290 I guess :(

Is that at stock 3DM settings Orangey? It doesn't look like Crossfire is working to me, I get ~10k graphics score with a single card.

That's firestrike extreme. I'm pretty sure your 10k score was on normal firestrike.

Score looks about right if everything was at stock.

I think you might be right. I'm busy playing the campaign, and the part where you're standing in front of that skyscraper in Shanghai with the fountains out the front completely murders the card when it's set to Ultra, even with MSAA disabled.

Knocking the settings down to High keeps the FPS above 60. Time for another 290 I guess :(

I ordered another Sapphire 290. Looking forward to seeing how Crossfire handles 1440p :)

Well well well.

Me and my 290 are locking horns quite a bit today. It seems to have rendered itself totally unstable overnight - I can't get into a game for longer than about 10 minutes without a BSOD/crash. Also it's doing funny things on the desktop like crashing IE, artifacting, display driver recovery errors, and it flicks back and forth between Aero and Basic every few minutes.

Trying to roll back to the 9.2 drivers but AMD have quite kindly removed all links to them on the website. How helpful, morons. :rolleyes:

Well well well.

Me and my 290 are locking horns quite a bit today. It seems to have rendered itself totally unstable overnight - I can't get into a game for longer than about 10 minutes without a BSOD/crash. Also it's doing funny things on the desktop like crashing IE, artifacting, display driver recovery errors, and it flicks back and forth between Aero and Basic every few minutes.

Trying to roll back to the 9.2 drivers but AMD have quite kindly removed all links to them on the website. How helpful, morons. :rolleyes:

I can upload it somewhere if you need.

edit: here it is actually: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_11_beta_9_2_(13_250_18_november_7)_download.html

You can set up a profile for mpchc with xfire disabled, 1 card is enough for video acceleration.

Ah cool, thanks! This is the very first time I've ever had 2 cards so this is all very new to me. First time I've had a gaming PC since about 2001 too :P

Any idea why my GPU usage spikes so much while playing BF4?

Spec:

4770K @ 4.4GHz
16GB 1333MHz C9 RAM (This is getting swapped out for 2400MHz C10 on Monday)
2 x Sapphire R9 290s @ stock

dYUOcK9.png

Back
Top Bottom