• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

if we looking at 7900xt like performance, would have to be lower end of the price ladder, have seen them around the £600 mark, so realistically 8800xt for £600 isnt such a great deal. would have to be £500 to get my wallet open and i suspect many others

Considering the RX 7800 XT launched $500 it had better not be $600, it needs to be $500, at that its good, just like the RX 7800 XT was, Is.

if they release this anything higher than £600 they are going to score another own goal similar to Zen 5. This really needs to be £499-£550 price range to sell loads of cards during holiday season as its unlikely Nvidia has the 5070 ready for release this year. £500 for 4800 performance is good, many will upgrade their 3xxx and 6xxx mid tier series cards.
i think they will struggle at £550 for essentially a 7900xt with RT enhancement(if rumours are correct) £499 and i think they sell them by the bucket load imo

I just bought a 7900xt so I hope these new ones are overpriced or under performing so that I won't feel as bad :-)

Seriously though 7900xt performance for £500 would be a good target

Indeed. Raster slightly better than 7900 XT and about 4070Ti RT performance at £500 would be a good deal.

Though realistically if it comes in at the level of performance expect about £550 - £600, or just above 4070 super prices.

Last edited:
Suppose pricing partly depends how many they can make by the end of the year and if they want to try the slightly higher launch price with the February-ish reduction once most of the 7800XT's have been sold - just had a look and they are 10% less than they were last October (when I bought mine) and currently have 5 rather than 1 free game so there is a good case for still buying one of those now rather than waiting (if ray tracing isn't a big factor in the buying decision).

Suppose pricing partly depends how many they can make by the end of the year and if they want to try the slightly higher launch price with the February-ish reduction once most of the 7800XT's have been sold - just had a look and they are 10% less than they were last October (when I bought mine) and currently have 5 rather than 1 free game so there is a good case for still buying one of those now rather than waiting (if ray tracing isn't a big factor in the buying decision).

It would be nice if it is a repeat of the 7800 XT launch prices. So about £500 - £600 from lower to upper brands.

That’s if AMD don’t delude themselves that just slightly undercutting the equivalent Nvidia tier at £700 = good deal. Or if they decide let’s rename it 8900 XT and charge £800 for it.

I just bought a 7900xt so I hope these new ones are overpriced or under performing so that I won't feel as bad :-)

Seriously though 7900xt performance for £500 would be a good target
If it ends up being that they can take my money now

E: Fortunately I have a house move to deal with so won't be buying until the back end of the year when they're hopefully out

Last edited:
If AMD launch first they will look at the performance vs that of the competition and price the maximum they think they can get away with, they just can’t resist a cash grab.

If the 8800XT is just under a 4080 in performance then they will not be pricing it at £500 when the 4080S is still selling for £900, expect more like £700 then in the future when Nvidia launches the 5000 series AMD will cut the price.

The price may end up at £500 eventually but don’t expect this at launch.

If AMD launch first they will look at the performance vs that of the competition and price the maximum they think they can get away with, they just can’t resist a cash grab.
AMD haven't launched first for a loooooooong time, no doubt they'll **** the bed on this one if they do :D

AMD haven't launched first for a loooooooong time, no doubt they'll **** the bed on this one if they do :D

Rumours (and I stress rumours) are that Nvidia will be releasing top down first as per previous releases. This is their normal MO.

AMD are not releasing a top end so the 8800 XT may well be their top tier RDNA4 (rumours again).

7900 XT is about £650. A GPU marketed at the tier below should be £600 max. But it’s AMD, they always find away to shoot themselves in the foot.

image.png

4080 performance my arse!! I'd bet on it being just a little bit faster than a GRE in a 'real review', AMD slides are just a joke unto themselves at this point!

Vs 7800 XT 7% more CU's, 2.9Ghz is 21% higher than the 2.4Ghz of the RX 7800 XT, its 28% more GPU, its possible.

Edit: at 2.9Ghz the 7800 XT is pretty much in line with the 4070 Ti.

Last edited:
Vs 7800 XT 7% more CPU's 2.9Ghz is 21% higher than the 2.4Ghz of the RX 7800 XT, its 28% more GPU, its possible.

Edit: at 2.9Ghz the 7800 XT is pretty much in line with the 4070 Ti.

This is another way of arriving at the same take I have. I just looked at previous gen updates at similar GPU tiers (not prices) for AMD and that has been ~25% - 30% each gen. That puts the MLID “leak” as laughable because it’s hardly “news”.

The level of typical performance uplift over the 7800 XT equals between 7900 XT and RTX 4080 raster performance.

Edit: for clarity

6900 XT to 7900 XTX
6800 XT to 7900 XT
6800 to 7900 GRE

All about 25% to 30% (or slightly higher) uplift.

If AMD don’t release at the original 7800 XT prices, or at worst GRE prices then AMD deserve all the crap they will get.

Last edited:
This is another way of arriving at the same take I have. I just looked at previous gen updates at similar GPU tiers (not prices) for AMD and that has been ~25% - 30% each gen. That puts the MLID “leak” as laughable because it’s hardly “news”.

The level of typical performance uplift over the 7800 XT equals between 7900 XT and RTX 4080 raster performance.

If they don’t release at the original 7800 XT prices then AMD deserve all the crap they will get.

The problem with RDNA 3 is a memory bandwidth issue, with about 650 GB/s of bandwidth they don't scale beyond a 4070 Ti, mine scales almost linier with clocks all the way up to about 2.9Ghz, if i add what little i can to the memory clocks, about 100Mhz i can match a 4070Ti easily, but that's it, i can get it running at 3.1Ghz but the increase in FPS is literally 0, from almost perfect scaling to nothing.

The 7900 GRE has a lot more CU's, 80 vs my 60, but it has the same memory architecture there fore its little better, about 13%, the 7900 XT only has 5% more CU's, 84 and yet its WAY... faster, it has a 320Bit Bus, with that it has 800 GB/s of Bandwidth.

So that's the problem with them, if AMD have solves that... even just slightly.

Last edited:
Summary of the claims for RDNA4:

16GB VRAM
280w TDP
Monolithic architecture (not chiplet)
256bit bus

Targeting RTX4070ti/4080 performance
Price $599

Bloody hell. I got my 4070 Ti for £575 brand new around a year ago. Sure that was a good deal. But even guys here did not think that was a good deal and did not get it back then!!

At £600 this is a fail already without all the RTX features :(

It needs to be bare minimum 4080 performance and that would only just about be an ok offering at best imo.

Not sure if this is AMD being greedy and stupid or that they are so far behind in architecture that there is not much margin left for them to offer us something truly competitive.

Back
Top Bottom