• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I personally wouldn't expect any Vega stock til the end of August, and the custom models a month after that. Polaris had the same kind of schedule.

Polaris had a release date of the 29th of June and there was stock at launch. The custom cards arrived in August. No different from the Pascal launch really, Founders edition available at launch but people were waiting a while for custom cards.

Not saying you are wrong with Vega. Will have to wait and see, only 5 days now.

Soldato

This practically ( indirectly confirms) that AMD just cant compete with 1080TI in performance and May be lucky if they get 1080 performance so they are
now talking about price/performance instead of talking about VEGA performance they are talking about monitor tax? LOL

These whole events prove they just don't have the performance and given they run much more power hungry where you save in monitor tax you will have to pay for in
PSU tax AMD.

The way AMD are treating their potential customers is sad and many will choose NVIDIA because of behaviour like this. Why cant they just be honest about the performance 5 days from release, why these silly events when they just don't have the performance. If they had the performance they would have shown us by now anyway, Hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

Soldato
I only skimmed through it. Are they really going with "buy a freesync monitor and you won't notice that Vega is slower"? What if I don't want/need/can't afford a new monitor?

Caporegime
Associate
[

Yep never let this dude do any statistical work, he was so off base with his analysis ! 1/3 couldn't tell the difference, 1/3 got it right and 1/3 got it wrong, so he assumes that people can't notice but doesn't take into account the people who got it right and wrong, All those people saw a difference just that the ones that thought one was better assumed it was Nvidia or the ones who got it right thought it didn't look as good so assumed it was AMD, in all cases 66% of the people could see a difference, but 33% just got the answer wrong. It's actually a minority that couldn't tell a difference, but that doesn't necessarily play in their favor when it comes to marketing

G J

G J

Associate
Why are they clutching this whole cheeper monitor/freesync thing. I dont need a new monitor and I'll save more money by not buying one.

Its all about money saved now coming from the same company that gave us 3-4 respins of the 290/290X.

Associate
Why are they clutching this whole cheeper monitor/freesync thing. I dont need a new monitor and I'll save more money by not buying one.

Yeah this type of marketing is just so wrong on every level when it comes to effectiveness, most people see through it... I mean damn I can come up with a crap marketing campaign more effective than this without thinking too much, "5 years of acheivements in 5 days" a short video every day for 5 days, starting 10 days before launch, pointing out an achievement (driver gains, IPC, market share, there must be at least 5 lol) and at the end of every video a Vega bench result where it's is pitted against another AMD GPU or 2 (doesn't really matter if the test is "fiddled" as long as it shows vega in a good light and isn't a lie)

Soldato
So far I've found this,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10967...improving-ease-lowering-latency-of-hdr-gaming

9reYmlgl.jpg

This was discussed somewhere in the monitor section when it was first announced but I haven't found the thread yet.

Aww man thats sweet!! Its about time too but i can see there beung less monitors about having support for freesync possibly. Hopefully not and i hope tvs start doing this too.
Its only thing that put me off a free sync panel is the poor range.

Associate
See this indicates to me that gaming Vega should fall somewhere between 1080 and 108Ti. Vega FE is trading blows with the 1080 here even with it's limited stock cooler with core clock averaging around 1440 MHz. With decent cooling I would expect Vega RX to sit much closer to ~1600 stock and coupled with even 10% boost due to more optimised drivers expect ~20% faster over Vega FE.

Have a look at the other triple card videos that have been posted recently as well for a better comparison. Remember the Nvidia cards used are reference and that custom cards are a lot faster even before overclocking.

Associate
I expect the AIO version to way more expensive than people have guessed, with the spin that it is designed for those who demand a quiet rig. The premium will be for the silence and cooler temps inside a case, not to unlock the full potential of the GPU (according to marketing, anyway). I fear near or even over Ti prices.
I think you could be right judging by the cost difference between the FE air and water cards. I'm thinking there might be a £175-200 cost difference for the RX water over the air to make it a true "premium" card.

Associate
And how realistic is the 500$ difference ? Is that difference on the high end of the spectrum or is it common ? Genuine question coz I have very little interest in FS/GS, so I don't follow the prices, but I remember at GS launch it added around 300$

Associate
AMD can shove their price performance where the sun dont shine coz there’s no point if I have to buy a new PSU to run your GPU and even then it barely equals the 1080 and I know NVIDIA will happily drop prices after Vega launches so I could geṭ a much more efficient card at the same price.

Associate
Price is a factor in high-end GPU gaming but performance is the key. You step down from the top position and the consumer expectation is for significant price reduction.

AMD have had long enough to pull something special out the bag, they either will or won't now its a black vs. white issue the market has lost patience Prey has come and gone they are fully exposed at this point. I can say in my case with certainty that my next GPU will be above 1080Ti performance no matter who the vendor is and if I have to wait for a sensible price for that performance then I will wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom