• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not touching DX12 is unlikely to do with favouring nvidia, its more likely that DX12 is a very limited market, DX12 is windows 10 platform exclusive.

The best thing for consumers is a mass migration of developers to vulkan but for some reason people on this forum seem to like DX12.

If I was paying a developer to make a game I wouldnt have them waste time on DX12. Its a dead end technology. I would pay them to use an API that will support the largest devices possible, so either DX9 or vulkan.

There is a reason only a few very large budget AAA games have even touched DX12.

DX12 is actually making my battlefield 1 experience on my 1080ti a whole of a lot better. My 4770k @4,4ghz is choking hard on even 32 player servers in DX11 on certain maps(singleplayer is perfectly fine though) but DX12 has helped a good deal with that. Now whenever i enter a new round i get 5 secs of lag and stutter but then we are good to go vs in DX11 where i would stutter on and off all the time. Never thought i would say then cause dx12 in bf1 on my rx 580, rx 480 and r9 290 was dreadful and not playable.

Either AMD are hiding something extremely well, or those numbers are all wrong and probably placeholders. It has to be one or the other.

Part of me wonders if they are just taking advantage of the mining craze thing. If the performance and price leaks are correct, who in their right mind would spend £960 on a water cooled card with 1080 perf and 8gb ram, when for under £800 you can get a water cooled 1080ti with 11gb ram (and it will probaly use less power as well)...or if you catch a good deal, just a custom air cooled 1080ti for ~£600 (as it isnt like they run that hot anyway).

DX12 is actually making my battlefield 1 experience on my 1080ti a whole of a lot better. My 4770k @4,4ghz is choking hard on even 32 player servers in DX11 on certain maps(singleplayer is perfectly fine though) but DX12 has helped a good deal with that. Now whenever i enter a new round i get 5 secs of lag and stutter but then we are good to go vs in DX11 where i would stutter on and off all the time. Never thought i would say then cause dx12 in bf1 on my rx 580, rx 480 and r9 290 was dreadful and not playable.

That is strange i get the absolute opposite ...Win 10 DX 12 runs like crap ..Win 7 Dx11 runs butter smooth .. with 1080 & Online

Pc gaming and hardware pricing is killing the format IMO. It's just turning to enthusiast now, better off getting an xb1x come the end of the year to enjoy on those lovely 4k hdr screens that most of us rock in the lounge now. Its getting to the point now where im almost done with pc gaming. I always said Vega will more than likely make or break it for me, at the moment it's looking like the latter.

That is strange i get the absolute opposite ...Win 10 DX 12 runs like crap ..Win 7 Dx11 runs butter smooth .. with 1080 & Online

DX12 seems to be hit and miss. In some games, all it does is reduce performance (especially on nvidia cards) for absolutely no discernable difference in the graphics, making it pointless.

Part of me wonders if they are just taking advantage of the mining craze thing.

Nobody buys the VEGA FE for mining because it performs like a GTX1070, uses double the power, puts out more heat and costs three times as much.

If VEGA RX follows in a similar pattern then there will be nobody stupid enough to take advantage of.

Part of me wonders if they are just taking advantage of the mining craze thing. If the performance and price leaks are correct, who in their right mind would spend £960 on a water cooled card with 1080 perf and 8gb ram, when for under £800 you can get a water cooled 1080ti with 11gb ram (and it will probaly use less power as well)...or if you catch a good deal, just a custom air cooled 1080ti for ~£600 (as it isnt like they run that hot anyway).

I was only joking re Nvidia price increase ....but if Nvidia read your post then they will for sure increase there range ...AMD should be helping us with prices going down not up :(

Pc gaming and hardware pricing is killing the format IMO. It's just turning to enthusiast now, better off getting an xb1x come the end of the year to enjoy on those lovely 4k hdr screens that most of us rock in the lounge now. Its getting to the point now where im almost done with pc gaming. I always said Vega will more than likely make or break it for me, at the moment it's looking like the latter.

Pretty much how I'm feeling at the moment.
If those few prices for Vega are anywhere near true, then that will be me switching to console gaming only until things become more realistically priced.

Really starting regretting buying my freesync uw monitor back in May now. It's looking like it will be my last pc hardware purchase for a long long time

DX12 seems to be hit and miss. In some games, all it does is reduce performance (especially on nvidia cards) for absolutely no discernable difference in the graphics, making it pointless.

Yes agree i have had some really strange results with builds for clients with various cards from low to high end
I would say most of the time DX12 causes me more issues than 11

Its very strange

A UK store has liquid version up for £958 inc VAT - lead time 3 days......

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6q25l2/store_link_for_sus_radeon_rx_vega_64_8gb_hdmi_dpx3/

If that's true ...god help us... at this rate Nvidia will be putting there prices UP across the range :(

It's not true, All these price rumours do is make the real price look like a bargain in comparison.
The cheapest water cooled big Vega should not be over 600 but even that's more than it's really worth.
It looks like AMD are doing practically the sameproducts as we saw with Fiji,
That said it's a bit odd not seeing a Nano, At first I thought the reference blower model would be Nano sized.
But it's not so at the moment we have 2 full reference cards, one blower and one with an AIO, and a
cutdown aftermarket model, I remember that when Raja was asked if there would be another Nano he
stated that Vega was the perfect platform for it and there would be but now it looks like there isn't one
(at least not yet). And seeing the power draw it's not really a surprise as it would need a fair sized
heatsink to keep it in check.

Damn my TV is literally ancient now. :( It's a first gen 720p LCD TV from Panasonic, I've seen some good TV deals around but I want to wait for the adaptive sync models before replacing it.

It's not true, All these price rumours do is make the real price look like a bargain in comparison.
The cheapest water cooled big Vega should not be over 600 but even that's more than it's really worth.
It looks like AMD are doing practically the sameproducts as we saw with Fiji,
That said it's a bit odd not seeing a Nano, At first I thought the reference blower model would be Nano sized.
But it's not so at the moment we have 2 full reference cards, one blower and one with an AIO, and a
cutdown aftermarket model, I remember that when Raja was asked if there would be another Nano he
stated that Vega was the perfect platform for it and there would be but now it looks like there isn't one
(at least not yet). And seeing the power draw it's not really a surprise as it would need a fair sized
heatsink to keep it in check.
True that! We all expected the 1080i to be around 800 quid or 849 and even rumors suggested then we see it come in cheaper 699 and we all like really? Wow not bad. But really its 700 quid vs what 980ti was on release is much more.

Damn my TV is literally ancient now. :( It's a first gen 720p LCD TV from Panasonic, I've seen some good TV deals around but I want to wait for the adaptive sync models before replacing it.
TV manufacturers will charge you for it though. HDR is making TVs so much more expensive vs just a 4k panel. So i can assume Async tv will do the same, its another feature to bump the price.

TV manufacturers will charge you for it though. HDR is making TVs so much more expensive vs just a 4k panel. So i can assume Async tv will do the same, its another feature to bump the price.

You say that. I picked up a 50" HDR 4K smart TV from Panasonic for £479. Another £40 or similar for Async honestly I would be fine with.

yep feeling the same, if the vega price is to be believed then my ps4 pro and psvr kit cost less than a aio vega and tbh im enjoying gaming on that more than the pc at the mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom