• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pc gaming and hardware pricing is killing the format IMO. It's just turning to enthusiast now, better off getting an xb1x come the end of the year to enjoy on those lovely 4k hdr screens that most of us rock in the lounge now. Its getting to the point now where im almost done with pc gaming. I always said Vega will more than likely make or break it for me, at the moment it's looking like the latter.

I have a 50" 4K TV and have tried my pc on it.

Even in 4K at 8-10ft it's hard to tell its 4K. It's hard to focus for me to see details when your used to being a few feet away.

I do agree although it doesn't actually take that much to run 4K/30 like the xb1 can. 1060 would do it.

Even in 4K at 8-10ft it's hard to tell its 4K. It's hard to focus for me to see details when your used to being a few feet away.

I do agree although it doesn't actually take that much to run 4K/30 like the xb1 can. 1060 would do it.

I've just played through both the last Wolfenstein's at 4K with an RX480 Nitro+ on my 58" 4K HDR TV. Frame rates were surprisingly playable.

I actually want it to become a thing for reviews to compare max settings with 1-down-from-max, when they review GPUs and game performance.

There's been a growing trend of max settings reducing performance by 30-40%+ and offering no actual noticeable difference in visual quality.

Also yeah 4K, and especially 8K in TVs is silly because you sit so far away from them.

A 48" 4K monitor would be fine, no noticeable pixels, from about 2 feet! away. Yet people sit 8-10 feet away.

8K will even be questionable for monitors, since you'd have to sit about 1 foot away from a 70" 8K monitor to barely begin to see the pixels. Just think about how ridiculous it'd be to sit 1 foot away from a 70" TV. You'd not see what was going on at the sides.

I just do not understand how after all this time AMD's high end card which still is not released yet is only trading blows with a 1080 which has been out for a very long time, add to that the speculation of a very high price what the hell is going on?

I just hope these rumours are wrong. :(

I just do not understand how after all this time AMD's high end card which still is not released yet is only trading blows with a 1080 which has been out for a very long time, add to that the speculation of a very high price what the hell is going on?

I just hope these rumours are wrong. :(

Power efficiency. That is all.

Guys, I wouldn't put too much stock in the prices being shown and they are generally place holder prices being set ready for launch and then adjusted when the launch happens. Unless there really is performance to come from drivers that makes the RX smash the 1080Ti, I would seriously expect sensible prices at launch.

Power efficiency. That is all.

Yup.

Ultimately because you're reasonably limited to ~350W absolute maximum, it's all about performance per watt.

You can get away with it in the mid-range, by having a 250W card compete with a 150W card for the same money and performance.

But at the top-end, if your competitor has a 280W card with much higher perf/w than you, you're in trouble.

Guys, I wouldn't put too much stock in the prices being shown and they are generally place holder prices being set ready for launch and then adjusted when the launch happens. Unless there really is performance to come from drivers that makes the RX smash the 1080Ti, I would seriously expect sensible prices at launch.

However much i want that to happen, Id bet a lot of money that it will still be behind a ti

Yup.

Ultimately because you're reasonably limited to ~350W absolute maximum, it's all about performance per watt.

You can get away with it in the mid-range, by having a 250W card compete with a 150W card for the same money and performance.

But at the top-end, if your competitor has a 280W card with much higher perf/w than you, you're in trouble.

Indeed. Nvidia managed to fit ~30% more cores on the 1080Ti compared to the 980Ti. I don't see any reason why AMD are using the same number of cores in the largest Vega card compared with Fury, other than power issues. They probably could have fitted 5000 cores or more but that alongside the clock increase would have just made an insanely hot/power hungry card. It just looks like they haven't made efficiency gains enough to increase both the core count AND the core clock.

Indeed. Nvidia managed to fit ~30% more cores on the 1080Ti compared to the 980Ti. I don't see any reason why AMD are using the same number of cores in the largest Vega card compared with Fury, other than power issues. They probably could have fitted 5000 cores or more but that alongside the clock increase would have just made an insanely hot/power hungry card. It just looks like they haven't made efficiency gains enough to increase both the core count AND the core clock.

I mean we'll see for sure once the RX Vega launches will all the hardware features turned on.

However, it just seems like there's some fundamental roadblock with GCN and high clockspeeds. It just destroys its perf/w.

And while Vega is 'NCU' its still fundamentally built upon GCN.

I just hope Navi is a fundamentally different architecture to GCN. As much a departure from GCN as Maxwell is to Fermi.

TV manufacturers will charge you for it though. HDR is making TVs so much more expensive vs just a 4k panel. So i can assume Async tv will do the same, its another feature to bump the price.

I picked up an immacualte Samsung K7000 4K 55" HDR tv for £350 second hand :)

TV prices are nowhere near as expensive now as they were, everything is dropping as newer models come out, but the older models are still fantastic screens. Deals are out there to be had in shops for sure.

You say that. I picked up a 50" HDR 4K smart TV from Panasonic for £479. Another £40 or similar for Async honestly I would be fine with.
Could you give me a clue where u got it? I know ur not supposed to mention competitors but seen as OCUK dont sell tvs i don't see it being a major issue. Looking at a 4k HDR TV for the living room. Was going to get a LG 43 inch for around that price so 50 inch and same features is interesting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom