• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The driver software loads faster, better looking, easier to navigate, and just looks more modern.

The nVidia control panel couldn't be easier to navigate - its a fundamental treeview, it also opens instantly if not on a page that needs to do additional stuff like the 3D Settings one which needs to refresh some application stuff.

I'll give you that recent updates make AMD's one look better but my main concern is functionality looks are very secondary with a control panel.

The nVidia control panel couldn't be easier to navigate - its a fundamental treeview, it also opens instantly if not on a page that needs to do additional stuff like the 3D Settings one which needs to refresh some application stuff.

I'll give you that recent updates make AMD's one look better but my main concern is functionality looks are very secondary with a control panel.
Having used both very often, I can't say I favour one or the other. They both do what I need and both easy to navigate.

After Sunday you'll be able to buy Vega, pop a chicken in your PC and combine gaming and roasting :D

Well Siggraph is the day I decide on what I get.

AMD or NVIDIA.

Already got my Vega replacement kit ready to order. :P
ZOm2V6LhSnGdrxFDoNy60g.png

FE is a placeholder Vega ;)
wAYRI6SrSeas8bgyPYnQgg.png

I'm changing jobs so don't need a Threadripper or Skylake X anymore for production work, so decided shove that into a fancier monitor for gaming and other projects.

Well Siggraph is the day I decide on what I get.

AMD or NVIDIA.

Already got my Vega replacement kit ready to order. :p
ZOm2V6LhSnGdrxFDoNy60g.png

FE is a placeholder Vega ;)
wAYRI6SrSeas8bgyPYnQgg.png

I'm changing jobs so don't need a Threadripper or Skylake X anymore for production work, so decided shove that into a fancier monitor for gaming and other projects.
Wow bet those monitors are nice, don't think I could ever bring myself to pay £1200 for a monitor :eek::eek:

Haven't seen that, but not promising if so :/

Although they are reusing Vega for their 1/2 DP HPC card on 7nm called Vega 20. Supposedly anyway.

That was partly why I hoped Navi might be a step away, if they're going to reuse Vega for HPC it suggests Navi may strip out some compute for more focus on gaming and deep-learning.

Watch this if you want and if you haven't already, it lasts a bit more than 30 minutes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590h3XIUfHg&t=1860s

there is load of interesting info, and with what we know now it give a different perspective, compared to when he said those things. It's good to back to the old vids. I also think that Navi might come out quicker than everyone thinks.

Wow bet those monitors are nice, don't think I could ever bring myself to pay £1200 for a monitor :eek::eek:

I had the LG 34UM95 back when it launched, and I miss ultrawide so much, especially with a quality IPS panel. That monitor's drawback was bad input lag, and stuck at 60Hz. Been using normal 1440p 144Hz G-Sync and Freesync since then.

SQumxTI.jpg

dnicgRm.jpg

My main issue with the ASUS one is that obnoxious stand it has, it's going to take up so much space; and I usually have a sound bar below the monitor.

I also think that Navi might come out quicker than everyone thinks.

By the looks of it both AMD and nVidia are commencing with 7nm product tape outs - doesn't mean they are necessarily gaming GPU products though.

Don't think "Einstein" will be coming that quickly though as there are some really complex bits to the design. Navi is probably going to be a more iterative approach towards the same kind of ends so first generation of it might appear sooner.

Last edited:
I had the LG 34UM95 back when it launched, and I miss ultrawide so much, especially with a quality IPS panel. That monitor's drawback was bad input lag, and stuck at 60Hz. Been using normal 1440p 144Hz G-Sync and Freesync since then.

SQumxTI.jpg

dnicgRm.jpg

My main issue with the ASUS one is that obnoxious stand it has, it's going to take up so much space; and I usually have a sound bar below the monitor.
Thats a tasty monitor as well :cool: I'm still running an ole NEC 3090WQXI, when this eventually dies (which might take some time) an Ultrawide is where I'll want to go, I'm a racing games fan myself and it lends itself to Ultrawide.

Thats a tasty monitor as well :cool: I'm still running an ole NEC 3090WQXI, when this eventually dies (which might take some time) an Ultrawide is where I'll want to go, I'm a racing games fan myself and it lends itself to Ultrawide.

Sounds like a plan alright! I'm glad companies have taken the effort to try and find a middle ground between high refresh rate and ultrswide.

Hopefully DP 1.4 is adopted soon so we can push refresh rate over that 100Hz limit. 1440p and Ultrawide 1440/1600p is a fantastic sweetspot. Add in a proper scalar into the monitor along with FlawlessWidescreen and WSGF and you're sorted for all types of games.

By the looks of it both AMD and nVidia are commencing with 7nm product tape outs - doesn't mean they are necessarily gaming GPU products though.

Never said the contrary, just going off the things Raja said back then, whether it will be pro or gaming market is somewhat irrelevant, the architecture will be coming quickly imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom