• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like they don't want to release it (in gaming flavours) but they know they have to.

The Pro and workstation flavours seem to have been well-received, but AMD seems to want to wash its hands of the the gaming Vega cards.

You lot do spout some utter nonsense on a daily basis.

Mostly because it's a perfect example of what a well made low level API game is. It'll run on a true potatoe and give you decent visuals and 60 fps.
Yea doom is one of those games people expected to run abit dog ***** and to be bit disappointing but it turned out great! Runs really well and just shows you can make a great looking game and optimise it well. Even with a low level API. Just some Devs are lazy compared to others with optimisations.

Funny how the only game they've always shown has been Doom?

Pretty sure it's not the only game and HardOcp chose Doom themselves. His thinking was probably a fast paced shooter that both Vendors do well in. It's not like AMD are so much faster than Nvidia in this game. DX12 and Vulkan are the future so whats not to like. Fluid motion is king in these games. The 1080ti should still be way faster than the Rx Vega in this game if the performance figures we have seen are true.

This game is the poster child for next gen api's so why is it such a hard ship to show the future instead of the crap we have now. Nvidia demoed this game before it was ever an AMD game as there performance is good as well.

Last edited:
Yea doom is one of those games people expected to run abit dog ***** and to be bit disappointing but it turned out great! Runs really well and just shows you can make a great looking game and optimise it well. Even with a low level API. Just some Devs are lazy compared to others with optimisations.

If only every top game was like this.

It's the complete opposite of RAGE.

IdSoftware have been doing great lately. Hopefully more people consider being as good.

64 CU

Compute Units.

So that emphasis in the name VEGA 64 seems to confirm we have the higher and lower units released as well the water cooling one. Are they definitely all coming at the same time, the Frontier water was a bit later right

No livestream of the actual launch event... what gives?

If the entire conference is like that I guess it makes sense. Im surprised they launch a consumer card in a secretive way though

I was willing AMD to do well with this Vega launch. But no livestream! That is proper mental

To be honest I don't know what to think but it looks like they are trying to play down the Siggraph event because RX Vega is still far from ready to sell. Whether that's through issues with drivers, not enough units to send out or something else we'll have to wait and see..

To be honest I don't know what to think but it looks like they are trying to play down the Siggraph event because RX Vega is still far from ready to sell. Whether that's through issues with drivers, not enough units to send out or something else we'll have to wait and see..
Something is definitely amiss. There should be lots of hype being generated but it all seems so subdued, almost surreal.

Could well be like that. i know they are about to at least lose one sale. My mates about to pull the trigger on a 1080ti and switch to nvidia for the first time since gtx8800. I told him to buy a very cheap 28" 4k predator and it's arriving with his new build on Monday. If Vega does not produce or is still a while off his 4k Freesync monitor is sold and in come Nvidia with Predator and G-Sync. He hates Nvidia but needs must.

It's going to fast to get off now

Yeah man!

giphy.gif

Sounds like the meter is broken
Yes, do tell what meter it is. Or maybe it isn't calibrated correctly? The 1080 Ti certainly does not pull that wattage.
The meter name is Sartano and its not the 1080ti thats the big power draw. CPU only stress tests takes most of the power. Ill have a look and see if i missed something when i plugged it in, dont think i have but hope im wrong. But the powerdraw for something like the screen fits so. Efficiency is also around 90-92 which fits the platinum psu im using.

And it's funny how Hardocp who apparently had the choice of any game for the play test event they did a few day's ago also picked Doom.
And what's even funnier is how people believed it and even defended his choice of game.
It's mind boggling :eek:

So what should he have picked. A fast paced shooter that shows how fluid the game is running or a slow paced game like The Witcher that runs better on Nvidia. What would the perfect choice be?

Lets remember the 1080ti in this game should still hold a performance lead. If so Freesync would still be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
A speaker system can draw a lot of power. Our old microwave drew 60 watts just displaying the time

Could well be like that. i know they are about to at least lose one sale. My mates about to pull the trigger on a 1080ti and switch to nvidia for the first time since gtx8800. I told him to buy a very cheap 28" 4k predator and it's arriving with his new build on Monday. If Vega does not produce or is still a while off his 4k Freesync monitor is sold and in come Nvidia with Predator and G-Sync. He hates Nvidia but needs must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom