• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How on earth does it pull that much? My old [email protected] and my overclocked (1125/6600) 390X ran on my 650W power supply just fine with 4 hard drives, 2 SSD's, 4 RAM sticks and a sound card.

A PSU rating covers what it can supply or output, not what it will draw. So your PSU supplying 650 will be drawing more than 650 from the socket.

The actual figure depends on your PSU's efficiency rating.

Associate
I have the AOC 28" 4K monitor - definitely can tell the difference that said I wouldn't generally recommend 4K on a monitor that was less than upper 30s or higher inch.

IMO 32" is the smallest size people should consider for 4K.

And bear in mind even a 40" 4K is smaller pixels than the hugely popular/standard 24" 1920x1080.

Soldato
I know but it still wouldn't be drawing 800-900W at the socket. I think mine would have been about 500W peak.
It wasnt. It seemed suspicious to me as well and when i saw my corsair psu didnt have the fan spinning during full load i knew something was wrong( no fan under 50% load of the 860watts). Changed the socket box(dont know the real name of it) and now reading are correct at around 370 watt stock. I have no idea why the meter would spass like that over something so simple. Corrected my first comment on the matter just to remove any future confusion.

Associate
To be honest I don't know what to think but it looks like they are trying to play down the Siggraph event because RX Vega is still far from ready to sell. Whether that's through issues with drivers, not enough units to send out or something else we'll have to wait and see..

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even give a definitive launch date and only present the RX quickly and move on... They probably want to keep on selling those Polaris dies that they ramped up to max at the moment, riding out the mining craze for as long as possible

Caporegime
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even give a definitive launch date and only present the RX quickly and move on... They probably want to keep on selling those Polaris dies that they ramped up to max at the moment, riding out the mining craze for as long as possible
Every day/week/month they delay is a day closer to nV's next gen... they know this as well as we do!

Associate
Maybe LTT will be live streaming something, they didn't say it wouldn't be livestreamed they said that they won't be livestreaming it, just a crazy idea lol. They should have thought of that actually for an event as LTT have way more "on the go" viewer potentiality than AMD.

It's just AMD sandbagging on the sandbagging :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom