• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
WTF!? When did logic enter this thread!

I wanted new toys this coming week as I'm starting a new job soon and wanted more play time before that. :(

I hope it's a hard launch and we get numbers and details very very soon.

I dunno,when FO4 was released for example,I still found some time to play it although I was doing some very long days. OTH,it ended up being the only computer game I really played for a while,as I had to prioritise what I spent my gaming time on,and it was good break to put in a bit of time where I could.

Associate
I assume you are implying third part cards could possibly have Div-d port? does that mean there will be third party water cooled versions with dvi-d as I really want the XTX version water cooled. Sorry I totally skipped the furry generation of cards so not sure.
Pretty sure we didn't see any watercooled versions with DVI-D :(. You could spring for an active DP->DVI-D(dual link) adapter, but those cost around £75 (can be found for less if you shop around).

Soldato
I dunno,when FO4 was released for example,I still found some time to play it although I was doing some very long days. OTH,it ended up being the only computer game I really played for a while,as I had to prioritise what I spent my gaming time on,and it was good break to put in a bit of time where I could.

I get you, I still play WoW a lot with the guild for Mythic raiding; but I haven't finished the Witcher 3 expansions yet. Was hoping to get those played on a decent system.

Fury X and 980Ti only managed around 50fps at 1440p with the settings I liked.

Also wanted the new monitor and gpu this coming week to sort out my "office" for when the new work PC arrives.

Fingers crossed for a proper hard Vega launch.

Soldato
I get you, I still play WoW a lot with the guild for Mythic raiding; but I haven't finished the Witcher 3 expansions yet. Was hoping to get those played on a decent system.

Fury X and 980Ti only managed around 50fps at 1440p with the settings I liked.

Also wanted the new monitor and gpu this coming week to sort out my "office" for when the new work PC arrives.

Fingers crossed for a proper hard Vega launch.

I hope it is a hard launch with plenty of stocks and AIB cards aswell. Time will tell thou

Soldato
I hope it is a hard launch with plenty of stocks and AIB cards aswell. Time will tell thou

Yeah, it's been a very long time since AIB cards were available on launch. They really can make or break some GPUs though.

If the performance is there, for the price I'd likely opt for the AIO water cooled card. Kind of a fan since the Fury X and 980Ti Hybrids.

Permabanned
IMO 32" is the smallest size people should consider for 4K.

And bear in mind even a 40" 4K is smaller pixels than the hugely popular/standard 24" 1920x1080.

I agree with this, 4k at 32" sounds good.

So what should he have picked. A fast paced shooter that shows how fluid the game is running or a slow paced game like The Witcher that runs better on Nvidia. What would the perfect choice be?

It's not about the perfect choice, Any tech reviewer worth his salt know's what's been shown and what everyone's waiting to see which is how RX Vega run's DX11 titles, It's all well and good someone saying Vulcan & DX12 are the future but we heard the same thing when Fiji released, and nothing's changed, the majority of games are not DX12 and Vulcan and that includes those released since Fiji released. We want to see here and now performance so a reviewer picking the same game as AMD keep picking doesn't sit right with me, I'm allowed an opinion and that's it. Something other than what we've already seen would make sense so either Kyle's lying about being able to choose any game he wanted or he's completely out of step with the target audience.
This next part is just me guessing at what happened,
I think at best he was given a handful of game name's to pick from and I think he got the gig because he agreed to certain conditions like not telling people about the conditions or what they were. I also think it's likely he was not the first reviewer RTG offered the gig's, I'd put money on there being others that were asked first who had the integrity too turn it down, but won't say anything about the offer because they do not want to damage their relationship with RTG.

At the end of the day it's how the industry run's and if I was in RTG's place I'd consider doing exactly the same thing if I couldn't find a better way.

Lets remember the 1080ti in this game should still hold a performance lead. If so Freesync would still be at a disadvantage.

Of course it should but you also need to remember that Vulcan was a game changer for how different gpu's compared to each other, For example a Fury X got a 39% performance boost in Doom by moving from Open GL to Vulkan, A 1070 only got a 7% boost, the 980ti got 5% and the 1080 got an 11% boost. That show's us how much off an advantage Vulcan can give AMD gpu's, We've known this since it got the Vulcan patch, At the end of last year we got our first definite Vega sneak peek showing it running Doom in Vulcan, It gave 1080 level performance, Since then all we've seen is a couple of short snippet's of SE4, BF1 & Battlefront along with more Doom, We also never really got a proper look at the other three, at least not enough to get a handle on the performance.

Since then we've been sitting back waiting for an idea of how it will handle all the games that aren't DX12 or Vulkan. Hard OCP was given a golden opportunity to give us that but they didn't, Why?

Associate
I just noticed no DVI port on these GPU. My monitor only has a DVI-D port not HDMI or Display port.
Did not want to upgrade monitor this year.

A Displayport to DVI adaptor is included with the Special Edition Air version so would expect the Water version to be the same. See the unboxing vid (4:10 min)

Obviously it doesn't mean the standard versions of the card include it.

Permabanned
What the Limited Edition looks like inside the Alienware.
XuogAaZ.jpg

Here it is next to a Holocron
Siq6byR.jpg

qBh5bT4.jpg

This should have been RX Vega, It's a shame this had to be a limited edition model, It looks great and it seems to be a very nicely made blower unit.
I hope the watercooled one that looks like this isn't also a limited edition and an excuse to increase the price too high.

It's all down to price now, I recently bought a 650 watt psu and if it really isn't capable of running the water cooled full fat Vega card I'll need to factor the cost of a new psu in as well as I don't want to go back to using the non modular psu I also have.

Permabanned
For recording? Or auto settings

Auto settings.

I think that Raptr app does it if its still around, use to be an AMD partner app

Nar they used to be raptr but amd removed its partnership with it.

Are game settings not best done yourself though?

AMD no longer use RAPTR, Instead you can set up games globally or individually in the Wattman software, I'm not entirely sure if it has an auto settings option game by game and can't check at the moment but overall it is much better without RAPTR.

Soldato
I don't understand the appeal of that Linus tech tips bloke. I find him unwatchable, I think I maybe alone in my dislike though

He is a bit annoying. Just last week he was ripping AMD a new one on Vega FE, strongly implying that RX was going to be awful in a kind of angry, petulant way, and now he's fawning all over them because they gave him stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom