• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If it required a 1000W psu the recommendation would be 1500W.

Recommended doesn't mean that's what it uses, it means that's what they're happy to say will cover the card and a high wattage budget for cpu/mobo/drives/fans etc and extra wattage on top just to be sure.

A decent quad core with a decent card can easily peak below 400W, is the recommended psu 400W? No, more like 600W+

Yes but for even for a 400w gpu a 750w recomended should be plenty, recommending 1000w for a card thats supposed to be 300/350 seems massively over the top. Even SLI setups dont get 1000w recommended.

Permabanned
If it was in the poll, would be the clear winner.
  • I'm waiting for the reviews, then buying Nvidia
:p

Sound's about right, I notice how the EVGA 1080 hybrid mentioned a day or two ago by someone as an alternative suddenly got an additional 40 quid added to it's price here. :D

So they can say "look at we got, we didn't pay for anything and we get more than you lot will, enjoy your card and flimsy box with no extra's, suckers!" :(

This also sounds about right, It's like AMD are trying to butter up the reviewers, Yet more smoke and mirrors, After Linus doing a live Vega unboxing with a working cube that had absolutely nothing to do with Vega we know get them sending out cubes that are nothing but paperweights.

Permabanned
So i take it my old Corsair TX850 psu will be ok then?

I replaced my TX850 a few months ago with a G2 650 so it looks like I'm gonna need to get the TX back out the cupboard. :(
That said if AMD make the water cooled version nice and cheap I'll just buy another psu. :p

I emailed the Red Baron the other day and he suggested I do two owners threads, one for Vega 64 and the other for Vega 56.

Is everyone ok with me doing the above owners threads.:)

That or do an owners thread for only owners and a seperate discussions thread for all the mud slinging.

Soldato
Without reading thru this whole thread. What happened to the holocube thing?, how did it
Turn into getting an acrylic block instead

Edit:- Never mind found my answer on google

Soldato
I emailed the Red Baron the other day and he suggested I do two owners threads, one for Vega 64 and the other for Vega 56.

Is everyone ok with me doing the above owners threads.:)
Like nashathedog said, 2 separate owners threads.to help with drivers and settings and a single thread to discuss reviews and benchmarks

Man of Honour
I replaced my TX850 a few months ago with a G2 650 so it looks like I'm gonna need to get the TX back out the cupboard. :(
That said if AMD make the water cooled version nice and cheap I'll just buy another psu. :p

That or do an owners thread for only owners and a seperate discussions thread for all the mud slinging.

We have already got a thread for all the mud slinging, that would be this thread !!!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Without reading thru this whole thread. What happened to the holocube thing?, how did it
Turn into getting an acrylic block instead

Edit:- Never mind found my answer on google
So what did you find out? Lol

It does seem sad they would show off the nice holocube, then later send out the cheap underwhelming one. Worse part, if I purchased an overpriced liquid edition. I bet I would get no cube. AMD marketing right there...

Sometimes I feel if AMD had no marketing department, they would be better off :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
We have already got a thread for all the mud slinging, that would be this thread !!!!
We will have 4 threads. Mud slinging here. You already made a reviews thread. Now can make one each owners thread :)

But to be honest I could have easily posted reviews in this thread, but I know you like them posted in a certain way ;)

Caporegime
LOL, still banging on about a topic from several years back like its relevant. Nvidia getting devs to put stupid amounts of tessellation into games to harm amd's frame-rate (and their own) vs amd bringing it back to a realistic level that visually is no different. Yet only one of these is a "cheat"? Yeah, very unbiased observation you got there.

Yeah because it makes perfect marketing sense for NVidia with their control over all of the developers to force them to run unrealistically high levels of tessellation when AMD simply have a cheat to overrride it and make them look slower, does't it? have you thought that it's not a grand conspiracy involving NVidia and that AMD just made that up to excuse their poor tessellation performance and cheating?

Soldato

Take a look at the pre-order thread I made a while back. Plenty of mud being thrown by the usual suspects there too! We can be sure that they have nothing better to do than invade the owners threads with any negative trollish comments they can think of, meanwhile we'll be playing with our shiny new toys :)

+1 for you doing the owners threads Kaap, no-one else would do as thorough a job as you.

Soldato
Yeah because it makes perfect marketing sense for NVidia with their control over all of the developers to force them to run unrealistically high levels of tessellation when AMD simply have a cheat to overrride it and make them look slower, does't it? have you thought that it's not a grand conspiracy involving NVidia and that AMD just made that up to excuse their poor tessellation performance and cheating?

"Puny" levels still being more than makes any visual difference... Whether or not nVidia were involved in promoting over-tessellation, the fact remains that tessellation only provides benefits up to around 16x and anything past that is just an exercise in reducing framerates on BOTH cards. The fact that nVidia take a lesser hit from higher levels isn't really a "plus" for them, it's a pointless ability.

Associate

By the time you've bought the card and a new psu surely you could have just bought a 1080 Ti which is a much better card?

Man of Honour
It turned out primitive shaders don't need any software support, the driver does everything in the background https://mobile.twitter.com/ryszu/status/896304786307469313

Other AMD engineers have said a little different hmm.

EDIT: Wonder if there is a bit of cross purposes there in the wording as technically devs don't "have" to do anything different in terms of tweaking their data but still have to change their code to use the most effective data path AFAIK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom