• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It can only be the drivers holding the release of RX Vega, Raja pretty much said the same thing in the Reddit AMA:

ATDNvly.jpg

For all those who are disappointed just read the above and let it sink in before replying. Sure Raja could probably release Vega tomorrow if he wished but it would get reviewed and then panned which could potentially damage AMD's reputation irrecoverably, surely they should release it when it's ready and if that means an extra two months of driver optimisation to squeeze every ounce of performance from the card then so be it.

I think you're reading into that a bit. I doubt that's really the reason.

I don't think AMD are actually stupid, they know Vega has to be on the ball with performance to gain market share via brand strength. If it only competes with the 1080 I can't see it being worth the hassle of all this.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
It can only be the drivers holding the release of RX Vega, Raja pretty much said the same thing in the Reddit AMA:

ATDNvly.jpg

For all those who are disappointed just read the above and let it sink in before replying. Sure Raja could probably release Vega tomorrow if he wished but it would get reviewed and then panned which could potentially damage AMD's reputation irrecoverably, surely they should release it when it's ready and if that means an extra two months of driver optimisation to squeeze every ounce of performance from the card then so be it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. It is likely both HBM2 availability and drivers which is pushing the card launch back. Hopefully the driver team will make use of the extra couple of months to squeeze more out of Vega so when the cards are reviewed they are shown in the best light possible.

Soldato
Saw a post with some one mentioning multiple tears per frame, and I figured I would have a look and see if I could figure out the fps. I found at least one frame with 400 pixels per tear, or 2.7 tears for the full frame (1080/400=2.7) Assuming that it is shown on a 60hz monitor that would mean 162fps (60x2.7) 388fps on 144hz or 81 on 30hz..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6edd3h/amd_rx_vega_computex_pray_demo_fps/

Caporegime
It could be down to the drivers too but I think realistically it is more so the stock, the fury x got panned due to shortage issues and the high price due to low supply, it was beyond a joke, ocuk had less than 10 cards in stock on launch day, it would be stupid to launch vega again with similar issues.

But I think it is still largely down to this:

look at what happened with ryzen when reviews were released, intel supposedly wanted to talk to all the reviewers etc. before the reviews were published and then intel quickly acted on massive price slashes (funnily we still haven't seen any of these price cuts in the UK, good old UK pricing/retailers eh... :rolleyes:)

So if this were the same for vega/gpus/nvidia, then maybe that is why AMD want to keep everything super secret till the final reveal and where people can buy straight after the press event, no revealing what they have now only to not be able to buy said product for another month or so and in return give nvidia time to whip something up or allow them to do the price slashes (which is what a lot of people/nvidia fans who have no intentions on buying vega are waiting for mainly)

I know people will say but nvidia will know what AMD have up their sleeve, it is very possible but then surely intel would have also known what AMD had up their sleeve with ryzen and instead of quickly rushing to the phone to speak to the sites/reviewers before the ryzen reviews were released and doing the price slash "after" ryzen reviews came out, they would have done it a lot sooner before ryzen was announced/released?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
It could be down to the drivers too but I think realistically it is more so the stock, the fury x got panned due to shortage issues and the high price due to low supply, it was beyond a joke, ocuk had less than 10 cards in stock on launch day, it would be stupid to launch vega again with similar issues.
You are blaming AMD for this? Kaapstad is to blame if you ask me, he took around 30% of their stock by ordering 4! :p

Associate
If it's just a supply issue then paper launch it surely?
Isn't it a bit early for a paper launch?

A slide said consumer Vega would launch at SIGGRAPH 2017 (30 Jul – 3 Aug 2017).
Launch at the start of August, released 7-10 days later means two and half months from now for purchasing. Potentially mid / late September for custom cards.

Soldato
Am trying to rap my head around why AMD demoed the VEGA GPUs with no performance numbers.. And I might have the answer!
Maybe AMD just dont want to give away numbers that are not yet final? for example say they showed the frame rate avg only 85FPS but come release driver support would gained and pushed that to 100+ fps the demo would have left people with even more disappointed I would feel.

It happened with Sniper elite VEGA is around 10fps slower than the 1080ti I think will need to watch a Youtube video again. Maybe like this AMD just isn't happy with the number just yet???

I honestly doubt AMD is hiding all this info because like Doom said they believe they have a crap product.. They is much more to this than we know!

Very disappointing though, July feels so far away. At that point I could be saying to myself might as well wait for the next AMD line up LOOL

Caporegime
Am trying to rap my head around why AMD demoed the VEGA GPUs with no performance numbers.. And I might have the answer!
Maybe AMD just dont want to give away numbers that are not yet final? for example say they showed the frame rate avg only 85FPS but come release driver support would gained and pushed that to 100+ fps the demo would have left people with even more disappointed I would feel.

It happened with Sniper elite VEGA is around 10fps slower than the 1080ti I think will need to watch a Youtube video again. Maybe like this AMD just isn't happy with the number just yet???

I honestly doubt AMD is hiding all this info because like Doom said they believe they have a crap product.. They is much more to this than we know!

Very disappointing though, July feels so far away. At that point I could be saying to myself might as well wait for the next AMD line up LOOL

If they showed it at X but released at a higher performing Y then what wouldn't be a bad thing

Instead we have nothing

Caporegime
If they showed it at X but released at a higher performing Y then what wouldn't be a bad thing

Instead we have nothing

Except if the FPS wasn't beating a 1080ti or even a 1080, then it would be a bad thing as people will be all "AMD DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" and go to buy their 1080/1080tis now?

Klo

Klo

Soldato

Instead we have nothing

But if they showed X being lower than the competition then there is literally no benefit to doing so, as everyone would buy 1080/1080ti's anyway. By keeping quiet, if Y is closer or exceeds the competition then a few people will wait to see what they have to offer instead of buying Nvidia. Making the best of a bad situation.

Associate

Whatever the reason they should be more upfront why they are delaying the release; consumers don't like being strung along. Wish they had at least shown a working units with all of its ports (hoping or hdmi 2.1).

Associate
But if they showed X being lower than the competition then there is literally no benefit to doing so, as everyone would buy 1080/1080ti's anyway. By keeping quiet, if Y is closer or exceeds the competition then a few people will wait to see what they have to offer instead of buying Nvidia. Making the best of a bad situation.
Exactly by stringing people along when they know their product isn't better is only going to hurt them even more.

Caporegime

Keeping quiet is just making people think it's a poor performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom