• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah if you have a 290X or a Fury you have nowhere to go. If you bought your 290X for £300, your upgrade path is £550 (it was £450 for approx 45 mins lol).

Crazy to think about it that way.

Or you buy the cheapest Vega56 when its out(it should technically start at below £400),which the Vega64 barely beats by 10% or thereabouts whilst drinking much more power.

The reference Vega56 is just over 50% faster than an R9 390 8GB which is most likely a better cooled AIB card,whilst consuming 35W to 45W less.

Not revolutionary,but I suppose we can alternatively hear people moaning for the next year! ;)

Man of Honour
Volta has never been on a smaller node. It was originally meant to be on 28nm, years ago. Over the years it has come down to so called 12nm (really a high power derivative of 16nm).

Aside from some switching around many years ago Volta as a product in design has always been led by the requirements for Summit - which they wouldn't have had a hope to come close to on 28nm not a chance. The Oak Ridge slides somewhere mention 10nm which ostensibly would have been required to fit inside their power and thermal envelope.

Soldato
We need a big crash to happen in the world of mining. Or even better a central authority to take over (which is what I think will happen eventually)

The 'establishment' will not allow themselves to lose power to the people.

Caporegime
Or you buy the cheapest Vega56 when its out(it should technically start at below £400),which the Vega64 barely beats by 10% or thereabouts whilst drinking much more power.

The reference Vega56 is just over 50% faster than an R9 390 8GB which is most likely a better cooled AIB card,whilst consuming 35W to 45W less.

Not revolutionary,but I suppose we can alternatively hear people moaning for the next year! ;)
In two week's time, if the 64 is selling at £550 - £650, the 56 will not be <£400. Esp if there is as little as 10% difference.

Basic reality check here.

Soldato
I think I speak for many of us when I say, "**** miners!"

This is my only bloody hobby and they have destroyed it utterly and completely.

You do realise most games don't even NEED a GTX1070,or Vega 56.

They will run perfectly well on lower settings even on a blasted GTX960/R9 380.

If all games needed expensive £300+ cards then the PC market would be much smaller than it is now.

Permabanned
I'm fairly happy with the price of the watercooled model, I suppose that proves the brainwashing mentality of marketing but I jumped on it, The fact I haven't bought Prey or Wolfy 2 yet helps as I can say it cost me around 590 ish with games accounted for.

The only bummer was that on the Powercolor store page it recommends a 1000 watt psu so I ended up having to buy a new psu as well, I went with an 850 watt model, I'm sure that'll be enough.

Thanks for the chance to pay a sensible price ocuk, this is why you are my retailer of choice.

+1, Although it's more about having confidence in who I'm buying from for me.

Permabanned
I'm fairly happy with the price of the watercooled model, I suppose that proves the brainwashing mentality of marketing but I jumped on it, The fact I haven't bought Prey or Wolfy 2 yet helps as I can say it cost me around 590 ish with games accounted for.

The only bummer was that on the Powercolor store page it recommends a 1000 watt psu so I ended up having to buy a new psu as well, I went with an 850 watt model, I'm sure that'll be enough.

AdoreTV says 850 watt will be more than enough....

Caporegime
You do realise most games don't even NEED a GTX1070,or Vega 56.

They will run perfectly well on lower settings even on a blasted GTX960/R9 380.

If all games needed expensive £300+ cards then the PC market would be much smaller than it is now.
So let's all be happy with total stagnation?

The 290/X is a 4 year old card!

I guess people can be happy that their 4 year old card is still OK at 1080p... but it shows what a mess the market is in.

In previous gens we'd have moved on to 290+100% for the same price at least by now. We've had 4 gens of cards since the 290s.

Caporegime

I snagged the aio model as well for my amd system, in 2 minds whether to stick with the order or not :o

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I think I speak for many of us when I say, "**** miners!"

This is my only bloody hobby and they have destroyed it utterly and completely.

Even without the miners AMD have made it an easy decision for me to give up on PC gaming now.

£450 for a cheapo crappy blower style cooler on a card that only just trades blows with a 12 month+ old 1080FE card

or better yet the same card water cooled for £640 that you can pick a 1080Ti up for now that's about 30-40% faster.

easiest decision to make!

Permabanned
Soldato
I know its disappointing, a year late and a power hungry beast, but I'm still very happy at my purchase. I've had 390 crossfire for years, the past year it's been disabled so just been running one 390 on a 1440p 144hz freesync screen. It's showing its age, there has been no real upgrade path of note unless I ditch Freesync which I'm totally against. Looking at all the reviews, most games apart from some really bad ones that struggle on both Nvida/AMD like Deus Ex, Dishonoured 2....the Vega 64 easily hitting around 100fps at 1440p totally maxed out. The 1080 is no slouch as it is, getting 100fps on a 1440p freesync screen at Ultra settings is more than enough to make me smile with excitement. Plus I'll have it in my existing loop, got an EK full cover and backplate on preorder, so I'll have no issues with noise, temps and throttling. At £450 I'm happy with purchase, plus £110 or so for cover and backplate.

All in all bring on the card, will see me through a couple years, wasnt prepared to buy a 1080ti at the end of this generation so close to Volta and ruining the Freesync experience. While this isn't perfect, this card is just fine for where I game now, will see me through to 7nm.

Caporegime
Even without the miners AMD have made it an easy decision for me to give up on PC gaming now.

£450 for a cheapo crappy blower style cooler on a card that only just trades blows with a 12 month+ old 1080FE card

or better yet the same card water cooled for £640 that you can pick a 1080Ti up for now that's about 30-40% faster.

easiest decision to make!
It's just sad :(

Sad that the only think I'm really excited for now is a console. A bloomin' console. I thought I'd be a PC gamer for life. But I just can't afford the cost. My 2500k is coming to the end of its useful life, my motherboard is dying (slowly), GPU is past it... and just those three components will cost me £1000 to get up to snuff.

Can't do it :(

Soldato
So let's all be happy with total stagnation?

The 290/X is a 4 year old card!

I guess people can be happy that their 4 year old card is still OK at 1080p... but it shows what a mess the market is in.

In previous gens we'd have moved on to 290+100% for the same price at least by now. We've had 4 gens of cards since the 290s.

Look dude,we can't do anything if miners are paying silly money for cards. We can't do anything if people pay £1000+ for special edition prosumer cards which makes things worse for everybody else.

In the end consumers have done this,as companies want to make a quick buck. So in the end we can moan about it,or just do the wise thing and buy a card or a CPU when it makes the most sense.

There are so many great games out there to play - how many here have 100s of games in their Steam libraries they have not bothered completing??

Very few of my mates who game on the PC have the latest and greatest cards - concentrate on the games you can run and put a middle finger up at prices until they become palatable.

The issue as time progresses its going to be more and more like this - process nodes are getting harder to pull off successfully without mega money,and no doubt to anticipate this companies might need to spend more money too,so will try to stretch things out as much as they can.

Plus consoles might be another option if things get too silly,as these need to be reasonably affordable and supported for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom