The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Caporegime
Figurines etc .... worth looking in Mandarake and over at the various stores at Nakano Broadway.

I meant to go to Nakano Broadway last time but ran out of time, it’s way away from everything else.

Btw, what’s the best way to book tickets for the Ghibli museum? I leave in mid November so the 3 months advance ticket is on sale soon!

Soldato
Nakano Broadway isn't really way away from everything .... it's what, 4-7mins on a train directly from Shinjuku station and when you leave the station the little covered mall leading to it is directly opposite the station exit.

Soldato
Everything not on the Yamanote line is away from everything :p

Ah, but going from Akihabara to Shinjuku it makes sense to cut across the middle using the Sobu line rather than going all the way around on the Yamanote line ... and you just need to stay on a little bit to go to Nakano, (of course it's quicker to get the Chou rapid service on the same route but that doesn't stop at Akiba so you'd need to pick it up at Kanda or even Tokyo station if you were over that side).

Caporegime
Ah, but going from Akihabara to Shinjuku it makes sense to cut across the middle using the Sobu line rather than going all the way around on the Yamanote line ... and you just need to stay on a little bit to go to Nakano, (of course it's quicker to get the Chou rapid service on the same route but that doesn't stop at Akiba so you'd need to pick it up at Kanda or even Tokyo station if you were over that side).

People say NB is like Akihabara lite so I skipped it the last time.

I want to go to Ghibili museum which I think is near Kichijoji, which that is past Nakano Broadway anyway so might do all of them in a day.

ps I am staying in Ikebukaro.

Soldato
People say NB is like Akihabara lite so I skipped it the last time.

I want to go to Ghibili museum which I think is near Kichijoji, which that is past Nakano Broadway anyway so might do all of them in a day.

ps I am staying in Ikebukaro.

Always have issues with Ikebukaro station ... always end up going the wrong way when i get to the concourse when I'm going to Sunshine City / Book Off / Tokyu Hands ...

Caporegime
Always have issues with Ikebukaro station ... always end up going the wrong way when i get to the concourse when I'm going to Sunshine City / Book Off / Tokyu Hands ...

Been to subways all over the works and the Tokyo one is the toughest to navigate even with Google Maps and Suica card. The unconnected lines at the same station, I mean some you need to come up to ground level to get into a different entrance; the same train but changes line due to different operators, google maps shows you are getting on a different train as it’s a different line but you don’t get off...naturally I get off the train since it was a different line...I was still making mistakes like 5 days in.

It never happen with any other cities before. It’s a beast.

Soldato
I don't really have much issues in Tokyo ... You want confusing try Namba subway station in Osaka, with the number of exits finding the one you want is .... challenging ...

That and thinking things through before doing them ... Like going to the Sky Tree ... Instead of going up around Asakusa way go one stop east of Akiba on the Sobu line, (I forget the station name). Come out of the station and immediately enter the underground station and catch the subway north. A few stops and you are at the east end of the Sky Tree complex and most importantly you have avoided most of the tourists on the other route.

If you want to go from Shinjuku to Shibuya don't get the Yamanote line ... Just take a stroll through either the back streets or down through Meiji shrine.

Personally I don't use Google maps for transport directions in Tokyo. Search on Hyperdia and then use a paper map (well pdf actually now) ... It's actually easier for the reasons you say. Just use Google when I'm walking

Commissario
OP
I've been watching Hellsing Ultimate (a few years later I know) and loving it:)
It's been fun going back to Hellsing although some of it was a bit :eek:
It seems much bloodier and more involved than the original Anime, with better character progressions, and goes so much further with the story and it pays off.

I've enjoyed the Dub (it's one of the titles where to me it makes sense to at least try the dub), and the commentaries have been fun, especially where they get into some of the background of some of the decisions on how/why they did certain things, there is a comment about how they almost lost the chance to dub the original because they pushed a query about pronouncing Alucard as "Arucard" and the Japanese Geneon execs were not happy, but when they spoke to the creator he was basically "I'm sorry if my English spelling is wrong, correct any mistakes and make it cool" :p (the dub director sounds like he did a massive amount of research both on the Manga/Japanese intent and source materials).

I think the main reason I haven't seen it before was because of the long time between volumes, and from memory it was being released at about the point the industry in the US and UK was falling over so I was unwilling to pay for 1 or 2 episodes at a time when it looked like it might not get fully released (I was buying several UK releases about that time that kept stalling - I think Tsubasa Chronicles and Witchblade both got mucked about as I ended getting about 3 copies of disc 1 of Tsubasa in different forms before the full set was finally released).

Associate
I've not watched Goblin Slayer but i'm pretty sure there was some controversy over that series, anyway i'm hoping to receive part 1 of Gundam Wing blu-ray from Alltheanime today.

Commissario
OP
Anime-on-line.co.uk are doing mystery deals again.

Two bundles of BD (6 each), two of DVD (I think each), apparently the Blu-rays have no overlap with their Christmas bundles, and the DVD sets have a total of 3 overlaps.
All are either complete series, or complete seasons.

Tempting as I don't have much of their stuff on Blu-ray.

Commissario
OP
I finally sat down and watch Mirai, which has been sat on the side since it's release.
It's great, you can tell it's by the same director as Summer Wars and Wolf Children, it started off a little slow but within about 15 minutes I was starting to sit with a grin and really enjoying it.
The art is really nicely done, and the animation tends towards extremely good with some excellent moments
when future Mirai, Kun and Yukku where trying to get the Girl's Day dolls in the box, and sneaking around the table for example
, and the music worked well.
If you haven't seen it, its definitely worth a watch.

I'm going to try and watch Maquia either tonight or tomorrow depending on how much time I get:)

Soldato
I just started watching Demon Slayer, which is the first ever anime I have watched (unless you count the animated Resident Evil films) and am really enjoying it. Is there anything similar that I should try next after enjoying this?

Back
Top Bottom