The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
Spy x Family is really good so far, it's only 2 episodes in, but anyone watching seasonal stuff I highly recommend trying it out.

I'm going to see if I can make my way through Cowboy Bebop properly now, I've tried it before but for some reason didn't reach the end, I'm going to give it another go.

I finally got around to completing Air and Kanon, which means I've watched most of the Kyoani productions now. I think Clannad as a package is better than both Kanon and Air, but I liked Kanon, Air was a little too confused for it's own good.

Looking through the Kyoani works page https://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/en/works/ I've only not seen (or at least tried):

Munto, Sora wo Miageru Shōjo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai, Nyoron Churuya-san, Last war of Heavenloids and Akutoloids, Tamako Market, Free!, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Baja's Studio, Tsurune.

I think I've at least seen or tried most of the heavy hitters in their list. Loved them all with the exception of some I didn't get on with (Lucky Star, Nichijou, Chunibyou)

Soldato
Agreed im loving Spy X family.

I've not watched all of Kyoani's works but I have watched:

Miss Kobayashi
Violet Evergarden
Sound Euphonium
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions!
A Silent Voice
Myriad Colours Phantom World (Pure trash lol)
K-On (currently watching)
Clannad but not Afterstory yet

Soldato
Oh yeah you definitely need to see after story for the complete clannad experience, not the same without all of after story!

You've seen a lot of the best Kyoani shows there, but I have a real soft spot for Hyouka and had a lot of fun with Amagi Brilliant Park so those would go onto my list of recs for you! :cool:

Soldato
Oh yeah you definitely need to see after story for the complete clannad experience, not the same without all of after story!

You've seen a lot of the best Kyoani shows there, but I have a real soft spot for Hyouka and had a lot of fun with Amagi Brilliant Park so those would go onto my list of recs for you! :cool:

I need to rewatch clannad though now since ive forgot eveyrthing that happened so need to rewatch that before i start afterstory lol

Soldato
Damn yeah, bit of a commit that! Wound up really liking it but you have to take it all as one whole thing I think, Season 1 on it's own is fine, but it elevates Season 2, and Season 2 is not the same without having seen Season 1.

Commissario
OP
Finished my rewatch of Eva in HD (the ATA UE is gorgeously presented).

It's been so long since I watched the films that I'd largely forgotten much of it (the TV series I've seen loads of times, the films maybe 3 or 4), oddly it felt like the TV series was sharper/better transfer than the films at times, I think possibly because IIRC the original TV episodes had some quite bad jitter where the animation cells were not quite centred consistently. I seem to remember the original DVD's had a second pressing where they tried to fix that (then the Platinum edition did some more), but the first film possibly used the original uncorrected shots?

Either way it was really nice watching it from start to finish in HD for the first time, especially as I'd been putting off watching it again for a few years waiting for the chance to see both the series and films (and not wanting to watch the new translation on Netflix*).

Now I want to watch the rebuild films again, but so much stuff to watch**

I've also finished off watching My Dress Up Darling, which is probably one of my favourite new series of the last couple of years, I can't quite say why except that I just love the dynamic between the main characters and the fact that the background is basically people doing slightly geeky hobbies and just being accepting of it. I guess it's the "feel good" and low impact, relaxed feel to it that makes it a nice fun and cheerful series:)
It's much the same reason I liked Genshiken.

*I'd read too much about how awkward and unwieldy it was, and because I do prefer to watch on DVD/BD where I can pause and rewind a few seconds, or step forward if I miss something (and with the Eva scenes that step forward is about the only to see some of the blink and you miss it bits).

**Penguindrum, Black Lagoon, Utena, Inuyashi season 1, SAO: war of the underworld , Clannad &AS, Boogiepop and My Hime to name just the discs in sight (I've not been managing to watch much anime on disk recently:( ).

Soldato
Now I want to watch the rebuild films again, but so much stuff to watch**

Penguindrum is on my list to try sometime :)

If you've never seen Clannad then I'd 100% recommend that sometimes, it's a bit of a commit, but I found it a worthwhile one. The only advice I'll give is that the two seasons must both be seen before judging it in any depth.

Dress up Darling was a fun watch, I really liked it, and I think partly it was because of the positive message it sent about people and supporting their interests without judging them.

Man I don't know why but Shield Hero Season 2 just kind of sucks compared to Season 1, we're 3 eps in and I'm going to drop it. Season 1 was a fun watch for the most part, but I feel like it's lost it's way.

Watched Season 1 of Yuuki Yuuna which was pretty good, a bit too similar to Madoka at the start but did seem to detach from the association around halfway in. Spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:
Season 1 ending was a bit of an ass-pull, but I'll see how Season 2 goes.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I've seen Clannad a couple of times (got the original US sub, and then dub dvd's, as well as some lithographs), but not for about 5-10 years, so looking forward to it.

I received notification from MVM that they've shipped my Air dvd set, at first the email threw me as they don't give the content of the package just the order reference which is a bit confusing when it's something that's been pre-ordered for months.

Soldato
Man I don't know why but Shield Hero Season 2 just kind of sucks compared to Season 1, we're 3 eps in and I'm going to drop it. Season 1 was a fun watch for the most part, but I feel like it's lost it's way.

This seems to be the general consensus at the moment. It's because there has been basically no character development for Naofumi and the characters we have seen develop to some degree, Filo and Raphtalia, have been completely sidelined.

If you do drop it, pick up "Ya Boy Kongming" then :D

@Werewolf Def Black Lagoon, i need to rewatch that as i haven't seen it in a while. Its the only show ive watched dubbed as the English Dub is on point for it and in my opinions fits better than the original subbed

Soldato
I received notification from MVM that they've shipped my Air dvd set, at first the email threw me as they don't give the content of the package just the order reference which is a bit confusing when it's something that's been pre-ordered for months.

Seems to be some issues with the subs on the discs :(

https://forums.animeuknews.net/threads/mvm-entertainment-discussion-thread.11319/post-632454

This seems to be the general consensus at the moment. It's because there has been basically no character development for Naofumi and the characters we have seen develop to some degree, Filo and Raphtalia, have been completely sidelined.

If you do drop it, pick up "Ya Boy Kongming" then :D

I think my issue with it is that Naofumis revenge arc stuff was great but was resolved really quickly, and then since then it's been getting slowly worse. Season 1 was still fairly good on the whole, but Season 2 was just boring me! :(

Introducing the chicken girl and all the loli harem was not the kind of thing I wanted to see, I wanted to see Naofumi and Raphtalia vs the world, those were the most fun episodes.

Kongming is still on my to watch list! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've watched all 3 episodes so far this morning and loved it!

I caught up with this today, this is a really well made and fun show to watch, I am not sure how I feel about
the addition of the rapper though. I think rap is more or less my least fav genre of music!

OP is a lot of fun too :)

Last edited:
Soldato
the addition of the rapper though. I think rap is more or less my least fav genre of music!

OP is a lot of fun too
Op is a banger and im loving all the songs in it so far. Regarding whats in the spoiler, we dont know how that will play in to the main story yet but i have faith it will fit in. There os a 3rd party we have yet to see so far i believe other than in the intro

Associate
Start watching gundam seed remaster with the new dub, didn’t realised they did a complete recast of voice actors, I thought they bought the original English voice actors back to re-dub it for the new lines. Hell they even change how they pronounce Kira surname. I plus bleach / black power range voice deaka in the new dub.

Commissario
OP
I'm not sure if they decided to redub a lot of the old gundam stuff, or simple had to redo seed because the remaster may have changed the timings for the audio tracks.
I remember when ADV got the "remastered"/"Platinum" version of Eva they had to redo a fair bit of the dub which required some changes in cast due to people who'd stopped doing dubs/couldn't be contacted/were going to cost to much to physically get back into the studio and that was only about 5 years after the original dub.
I think with Escaflowne it was largely because the new release had slightly altered the timings and either Funi didn't have access to the original isolated voice tracks (as the original dub was ~15 years old and done for Bandai USA) or couldn't match it up.

Another possibly reason for a complete redub is to to make things consistent across all the releases (same terms/pronunciations), and possibly to improve the audio quality generally as the equipment they use today is a huge improvement on what they were using back then:)

Associate
i watch Seed remaster HD when it first came out as there Japanese bd-video with original dub from dvd hybridize together released flowing around on the net, wasn't perfect but it was the best there was. considering the remaster is 48 episode instead of 50 and there are some new scene / redone scene compare to the original. so far it ok but went you use to the original voice actor it does take a bit getting use to new voice, even change who narrates the intro and previews to each episode. for what i understand only Seed and Seed Destiny got new Dubs.

Back
Top Bottom