beck
Heavy Object
spy x family
sasaki and peeps
reincarnated as a sword
Martian Successor Nadesico
last exile
log horizon
Thanks, which would you say are the most fantasy / dnd related? I'll start reading up on each

Associate
I'm very much a noob in this space. I've just finished watching Avatar with my two kids (11 & 13) I've just picked up Kaiju No8 for myelf and have started watching frieren with the kids as we love fantasy type stuff and dnd. Any key recommendations I should try out? I've got Crunchyroll for a month to try it out. I also love Sci-fi stuff too.
For "Sci-fi", there is Neon Genesis Evangelion which is on Netflix if you have subscription, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the shell and Akira if you want a sci-fi/cyberpunk from the 90s.
If you want Sci-fi&Mecha:
- 0079 Mobile suit Gundam (original) 3 part OVA if you want to get into the Universal century timeline, I recommend the 3 part OVA instead of the TV series as its easier to absorb and watch
- Mobile fighter G Gundam if you want to see a martial art/tournament style show
- Gundam Build Fighters, a nice entry to showcase easter eggs in the franchise and kid friendly to watch
- Macross plus if you want a romance, transforming fighter plane

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm very much a noob in this space. I've just finished watching Avatar with my two kids (11 & 13) I've just picked up Kaiju No8 for myelf and have started watching frieren with the kids as we love fantasy type stuff and dnd. Any key recommendations I should try out? I've got Crunchyroll for a month to try it out. I also love Sci-fi stuff too.
I highly recommend the following:

Akame Ga Kill (my personal favourite series)
Psycho Pass
Death Note
Steins;Gate (though it might make your head hurt)
Erased (heavy subject matter)

Then also:

Charlotte
Angel Beats
Demon Slayer
Tokyo Ghoul
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Mob Psycho 100

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Watched the First Slam Dunk movie and it was pretty good. Never watched the series before and knew nothing about the original series. While it dragged on a little too much in parts the art and effects were top notch.

Soldato

On top of those you had mentioned to you already (or maybe as well as I haven't read them all). Some recs below.

I'd say that Frieren is probably the most accomplished fantasy anime there is, especially with such quality animation so you'll struggle to beat it, but some other options of things to try.

Fantasy

Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon)
Very much in the Fantasy/DND zone. I *think* it's fairly safe for younger viewers but it depends how mature they are.

Majo no Tabitabi (Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina)
More fantasy than DND but it's about a witch, named Elaina, and a journey! It's pretty dark at times.

Shinsekai yori (From the New World)
This is kind of fantasy/sci-fi hybrid. Pretty dark themes. Doubt it's safe for younger viewers.

Sci-Fi

Kanata no Astra (Astra Lost in Space)
It's Among Us in space, Nicely animated etc. I think it's also fairly safe viewing.

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
Good sci-fi bit definitely not safe for younger viewers. Based on the Cyberpunk 2077 game.

Akudama Drive
Cyberpunk sci-fi action thing. I liked it.

Soldato
So while I've been unwell the last few days I've watched the first series of Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon) and I really enjoyed it. I've also heard that it has been renewed for a second season to hopefully wrap it all up

Glad you liked it! I need to get last few episodes done but I figured they would need a 2nd season :)

Beyond what I said above I'm going to echo some additional comments on what other people have said. I'll put show titles in bold to help you scan read!

There's a lot of choice but if I had to say which of the below are 100% worth following up on next, I'd say Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be good shouts. They are both a) complete adaptations and b) great anime in their own rights. Classics even. Time is finite and too much choice can lead to indecision.

No one has mentioned it yet but I'd say that Overlord could also be worth a shout, it's sorta DND/Fantasy angled.

Death Note is an amazing anime, English dub is very good.

Death Note is 100% worth watching. It's a little older now, but the cat and mouse game is very compelling, it was one of my first anime and I still remember it fondly.

Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen are the obvious choices.

These are both good as well. I prefer Demon Slayer of the two, personally.

Ok classics and some recent hits are
Hunter X Hunter
That time I reincarnated as a slime
One Punch Man
Solo Leveling
Gundam Seed
Knight of Sidona
Attack on Titan

That should be a good start for you :)

Hunter x Hunter is great, it should be watchable with the younger viewers as well. It looks long at 150~ episodes but it's well paced, and lots of twists and turns in the story. It ends at a good spot even though it's unlikely to get more episodes.
That time I got reincarnated as a Slime is really good to begin with but it gets very wordy later on.
One Punch Man I couldn't get on with. I preferred the authors other work, Mob Psycho 100. Took a few episodes to get into it though.
86 is good sci-fi, I liked it a lot, but it badly needs more seasons.
Solo Leveling is great. I believe more is coming but it's worth checking out.
Gundam Seed I can't comment on. Gundam is a massive series of series with various aspects to it. I'd probably recommend re-visiting Gundam in general if you get more into anime stuff.
Knight of Sidona not seen can't comment.
Attack on Titan is highly recommended and is now a finished product after many years. It's fairly deep and you can also sort of theorise with events as you go along.

mixture of old and new

Full metal panic
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: brotherhood
Gundam series
Demon slayer
assassination classroom
dr stone
gate
sword art online alternative: gun gale online
beck
Heavy Object
spy x family
sasaki and peeps
reincarnated as a sword
Martian Successor Nadesico
last exile
log horizon

Full Metal Panic would not be a first rec from me. I liked the show in general but I'd say worth jumping to at a later date.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would definitely go into my recommended list. It's a fantasy adventure with good pacing and a complete adaptation. I would skip the older version and go straight to Brotherhood.
Gundam as previously mentioned.
Demon Slayer as previously mentioned.
Assassination Classroom I liked this one, I think it would be good with younger viewers as well. Not really fantasy though, sort of sci-fi ish.
Dr Stone can't get into it but you could try it. It's fairly popular.
Gate no from me found it mediocre.
Sword Art Online: Gun Gale Online I'd not watch this without watching the original Sword Art Online. SAO is a VR MMO type anime. You could try that instead and branch out into the other SAO seasons or Gun Gale (it's a side story).
Beck not seen.
Heavy Object not seen.
Spy x Family I really liked Season 1 but it's become very filler-esque and the actual story slowed to glacial pace in favour of slice of life. Season 1 was good and I think younger viewers would like this.
Sasaki and Peeps couldn't get into it.
Reincarnated as a Sword much better than it sounds. I liked this anime a lot. It's not the best anime ever but it's fun and wholesome.
Martian Successor Nadesico not seen.
Last Exile not seen.
Log Horizon I call this Long Horizon. I do not recommend starting here. It's dragged out way more than it needs to be.

For "Sci-fi", there is Neon Genesis Evangelion which is on Netflix if you have subscription, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the shell and Akira if you want a sci-fi/cyberpunk from the 90s.
If you want Sci-fi&Mecha:
- 0079 Mobile suit Gundam (original) 3 part OVA if you want to get into the Universal century timeline, I recommend the 3 part OVA instead of the TV series as its easier to absorb and watch
- Mobile fighter G Gundam if you want to see a martial art/tournament style show
- Gundam Build Fighters, a nice entry to showcase easter eggs in the franchise and kid friendly to watch
- Macross plus if you want a romance, transforming fighter plane

Neon Genesis Evangelion is certainly worth watching at some point, or at least trying. I didn't love it but it's a classic and it has a cult following of sorts. It's unique enough to check out.
Code Geass interesting if a little slow. Gets bogged down a fair bit.
Gurren Lagann now we're talking. This show is a lot of fun and it has a lot of twists to it. It's FULL of fan service though. Not for younguns!
Gundam as previously mentioned.

If you like Kaiju No.8 then watch

Chainsaw Man
Solo Levelling
Jujitsu Keisen

That should be enough for a month!

I agree all of these are good, though I would space them out a bit as they kind of scratch the same itch.

I highly recommend the following:

Akame Ga Kill (my personal favourite series)
Psycho Pass
Death Note
Steins;Gate (though it might make your head hurt)
Erased (heavy subject matter)

Then also:

Charlotte
Angel Beats
Demon Slayer
Tokyo Ghoul
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Mob Psycho 100

Akame Ga Kill I liked bits of this but it felt like it just abandoned the assassination angle. It's OK but nothing amazing in my view.
Psycho Pass Season 1 is great sci-fi. I'd say stop at end of Season 1 unless you want more of the same as I didn't really find Season 2 progressing anything and quit a few episodes into it.
Death Note as previously mentioned.
Steins;Gate maybe worth trying but wouldn't start on it. It's a little slow for me as well.
Erased is good.

Charlotte gets a no from me.
Angel Beats is cool liked this one.
Demon Slayer as previously mentioned.
Tokyo Ghoul season 1 is great rest is garbage, show had a lot of potential that was thrown out.
One Punch Man as previously mentioned.
My Hero Academia is good. Shonen so fairly long.
Mob Psycho 100 as previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Gundam Seed I can't comment on. Gundam is a massive series of series with various aspects to it. I'd probably recommend re-visiting Gundam in general if you get more into anime stuff.
Knight of Sidona not seen can't comment.

Gundam Seed isnt part of the main arc or storyline. It is its own alternative universe. It isnt too massive or small and a good entry show to Gundam. One of if not the best gundam shows imo. So if you havent watched it please give it a go and make sure you watched the remastered version. A must see imo.

Knights of Sidona. - Its brillant mate, its a CGI cell ontop graphics so some might not be to everyone's taste but the best way i can describe it is, Attack on Titan but in space. With sprinkle of Battlestar Gallatica and Evagallion. Another must see imo.

Soldato
I mentioned this a while back, it pretty decent not like the best ever but well worth a once off. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sorry meant ref this request on things to watch not in general :)

Gundam Seed isnt part of the main arc or storyline. It is its own alternative universe. It isnt too massive or small and a good entry show to Gundam. One of if not the best gundam shows imo. So if you havent watched it please give it a go and make sure you watched the remastered version. A must see imo.

Knights of Sidona. - Its brillant mate, its a CGI cell ontop graphics so some might not be to everyone's taste but the best way i can describe it is, Attack on Titan but in space. With sprinkle of Battlestar Gallatica and Evagallion. Another must see imo.

I will consider it next season does look pretty sparse to me so far. I'm still catching up with stuff aired this season at the moment!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom