The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
Ouch, UP have listed the Puella Magi Madoka Magica releases for next year. Appears to have typically painful Aniplex pricing with the straight BD release being £38 and the LE being £72 per volume. (TRSI is probably cheaper but of course they don't ship to a non-credit card address).

As much as I would like the LE's there's no way I can justify £72 for a four episode volume ... I didn't like the series that much.

Well £72 would be the going price considering that you have to add 20% VAT to the actual price and it's only about £3 more (excluding delivery) then buying the stand alone DVD and BD sets (but then all the extras in the LE set would more then make up for the extra £3 and then some).

And even with that cost I may end up just getting the LE sets anyway.

Soldato
It might work out if you calculate that way but it's still an extortionate price for singles, for all versions. Even the plain DVD version is quite a bit more than singles used to go for in the US.

It's up with Japanese pricing ...

For some series I would pay it, but Madoka wasn't up there enough for me to justify that cost. Regular BD's for me.

Associate
It might work out if you calculate that way but it's still an extortionate price for singles, for all versions. Even the plain DVD version is quite a bit more than singles used to go for in the US.

It's up with Japanese pricing ...

For some series I would pay it, but Madoka wasn't up there enough for me to justify that cost. Regular BD's for me.

It's not up with Japanese prices since with this series your comparing 2 episodes per volume to 4 episodes per volume so your paying less for more content and I mean that literally since the Japanese DVD release with only two episodes is around $25 more expensive then the 4 episode US release (plus the BD release costs around the same as the US BD/DVD limited edition).

So aniplex have at least learned from the mistakes that bandai visual made by thinking we'd pay extortionate prices for a one or two episode volume.

Soldato
Again with the nitpicking ... by "up with Japanese pricing" I mean in general terms that a Japanese single price is of that order of magnitude as opposed to the level that even a single price in the US/UK. The JP LE BD (with CD) for this title release is available for ~£45 so with 4 episodes (2 sets) it of the same order of magnitude of the US LE release. Hence it is up with Japanese pricing ...

But the whole point was that the release is very expensive compared with other series releases ... which it is ...

I'm sick and tired of this ... welcome to my ignore list.

Soldato
About half way through Planetes now and the expected subplot has begun to kick in, although sweetly, not had much time on Canaan unfortunately.

As a random aside, the 2 Deathnote LA movies are on Film4 in just over half an hour, running back to back :)

Commissario
OP
I've been watching Daughters of Mnemosyne over the last couple of nights (about an episode a night), and i'm enjoying it, but the amount of nudity:p

I was planning on watching the Deathnote movies, but unfortunately I'm probably not going to be in/awake for them, I may just order the DVD's instead.

Soldato
Just watched Akira tonight, first time I had seen it. Was happy that it held up to the praise it gets! Was really worried I would watch it and be disappointed by it, but it was a nice surprise.

Soldato
Ironically the BD of the first one dropped through my door from Lovefilm yesterday, but I'm going to watch anyway if I can, I've been working a lot recently (6 day week this week for example) so I'd quite like the opportunity to relax in front of a film on a Saturday night as it doesnt come for me often.

Soldato
Have been watching a few things over the last few days.

Watched through the US release of OreImo. Good series and presented in a nice set with good extras, (lots of postcards and a poster and booklet). I like the series and prefer the non-broadcast "true ending" episodes over the original "good ending".

Finally finished FMA:Brotherhood ... phew it's a long series! It's been quite a while since I watched the original FMA series. I was watching the US BD release (as the US Rainforest site has had some good deals on them). As a series my opinions were mixed ... I thought that the first 20 or so episodes dragged a bit (for me), they were ok but just didn't really seem to click on. The rest of the series was pretty good and seemed to get better as it went on (except for the last 10 or so episodes (not including the epilogue episode) which seemed to drag things out a bit ... you seemed to have maybe 5 episodes of plot over 10 episodes). Overall I enjoyed the series as a whole.

And I watched Arrietty at the Broadway Cinema in Nottingham this afternoon. Nice to see Ghibli on the big screen, especially in a cinema which has comfortable seats and no chavs/screaming kids. In fact in the 100 seater screen there was 21 people and it was all very civilized. The film was great on the big screen with readable subtitles (even with my eyesight) and the level of graphical detail you'd expect from a Ghibli film. The soundtrack, (Japanese of course), was very good too.

Associate
The JP LE BD (with CD) for this title release is available for ~£45 so with 4 episodes (2 sets) it of the same order of magnitude of the US LE release. Hence it is up with Japanese pricing ...

No it isn't as the ACTUAL price for a single volume is about £57 which as I'd already said is almost in line with the DVD/BD set (plus you can't compare a 2 episode set to a 4 episode set as you would have to double the price to match it to the US release) so it's nowhere near up with Japanese pricing plus there's only a $15 (or around £10 if you want even more nit picking) difference between the only other single volume sets out there and this one.

And here ends my views on this subject.

Associate
Watched the second episode of Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam

I have mixed feelings over this so far. I liked the first episode (probably had rose tinted glasses on due to nostalgia). However two episodes in and i'm a bit unimpressed.

The production values are great but i have absolutely no idea where they are going with the story, it's like someone just opened up a book in the middle without even an introductary paragraph. Japanese directors/scriptwriters seriously need to go learn some basic narrative structure.

But still, i'm optimistic it will improve. Some interesting things happening so we will see.

Mirai Nikki - A very strange and tbh, messed up series. I enjoyed the first episode though.

Guilty Crown - I quite like this, character designs are really cool (i can see the female lead becoming a cosplay favourite) and it has some great visuals. Looking forward to more from this. There are blatant fan service shots (you'll know when you see them) but it's not in your face... for the most part.

It is very similar in premise to Code Geass though.

i also finally picked up Eva 2.2 on Blu Ray, so i'll get round to watching that sometime, although consdiering it's been a while since i watched the first rebuild movie i might buy the blu ray copy of that and watch it first.

Soldato
Finished watching Kurogane Communication this evening. Interesting series which feels quite bleak at times. I did find some of the characters quite irritating but over all I found the series to be quite good.

I do think that they could have done quite a bit more the premise especially if they had had normal length episodes.

Associate
It looks like some companies are putting their foot down on reverse importation to Japan as someone tried to order the madoka magica DVD/BD limited edition (the post in question is a few posts in and is all in Japanese so I can't read it myself as I got the gist from the forum that link was posted on) only to be met with a "this item can't be shipped to Japan" notice.

Also it seems that yesasia has managed to reduce delivery times since the highschool of the dead opening and ending song CD's that were shipped out on the 15th turned up yesterday and if I got things right from the customs form (I'm not that good with languages so don't kill me over this) it looks like their now sending items via Germany to stop customs from adding any charges.

Soldato
Sounds like there are some issues with the new MangaUK release of Freedom. Apparently the audio sync is noticeably out on episodes 4 and 7 on the BD disk, (issue is from the replication master from Madman). A new replication master has been made but there won't be corrected disks in sets until they do a reprint.

Started re-watching Toradora this evening (although it's slightly hard to concentrate on the subtitles with a heavy cold).

Back
Top Bottom