• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
MeddlE said:
What heatsinks are people hanging off the standard Asrock socket? Just got the Freezer 64 Pro and not sure about attaching it without a backing plate.

I managed to attach a evo-120 to it, there is a guide to what i did on the earlier pages of this thread.

edit: bottom of page 10 for my guide

Man of Honour
MeddlE said:
What heatsinks are people hanging off the standard Asrock socket? Just got the Freezer 64 Pro and not sure about attaching it without a backing plate.
I got a backplate off another board. You should be able to use the backplate Thermalright sell, intended for mounting their heatsinks on Gigabyte boards that don't have a standard K8 backplate.

Permabanned
Sorry if its been asked before in this thread,quite a lot of replies now lol ,but what is the max vcore on this board atm ?

Im hoping to slip a 146 opti into on of these this week but still not sure whether to order this mobo or go for a NF3 setup instead,ive read theres a mod you can do to the board to up the vcore slightly but is that really needed ? are there not any bios's that will do the same job ?

Associate
Angilion said:
I got a backplate off another board. You should be able to use the backplate Thermalright sell, intended for mounting their heatsinks on Gigabyte boards that don't have a standard K8 backplate.

I haven't found anywhere that sells the backing plate yet. Swiftech have stopped making theirs too. I'm going to have a go at making my own.

Associate
Kinetic said:
Sorry if its been asked before in this thread,quite a lot of replies now lol ,but what is the max vcore on this board atm ?

Im hoping to slip a 146 opti into on of these this week but still not sure whether to order this mobo or go for a NF3 setup instead,ive read theres a mod you can do to the board to up the vcore slightly but is that really needed ? are there not any bios's that will do the same job ?

1.45v for Venice's. My board slightly overvolts on Vcore (though undervolts on VDimm where its really needed, grr). I'm at 2.4ghz on retail heatsink with Vcore at 1.425, which isn't a spectacular oc, but nice enough for not much work.

Permabanned
Randell said:
1.45v for Venice's. My board slightly overvolts on Vcore (though undervolts on VDimm where its really needed, grr). I'm at 2.4ghz on retail heatsink with Vcore at 1.425, which isn't a spectacular oc, but nice enough for not much work.

looks like i'll try the mods then for this board then ,that should allow for 1.55? vcore ,i think theres a mod for vdimm aswell

Associate
cab2e 144

2.4 g so far old memory so not dual channel and running at 166 265 htt
stock volts but not much adjustment anyway.
easy build :)
stock cooling fine so far

Associate
Kinetic said:
How does the onboard sound on this mobo compare to nvidias sound storm on the NF7-S ?

And have we got anymore opteron OC results on this board yet ? :)

Having also moved from a NF7-S I can say that there are no problems with the sound quality in comparison. Using Logitech X-230 speakers, sounds very nice.

Associate
I think that Sound Storm is better. The sound on this board is not bad, but sound storm was really good for onboard audio. In particular I get interference from my mic line when I enable mic boost (which i have to do). I thought the sound storm control panel gave you greater control over the manipulation of the sound quality and effects.

That being said, I am very pleased with the sound quality on this mobo and I have no intention of getting a sound card.

Edit: I have a question for the hardcores out there, has anyone tried to get and AGP + PCI-e crossfire/SLi combo going? I know that it is possible as I saw an article about it where the authors used modified ATi drivers on the ULi 1695 reference board. I have not heard of anyone trying this on the 939 DS-II.

Last edited:
Associate
has anybody tried this board with one of those tasty dual core optys yet?
say a 165, as they're to be had for around 230 quid it sounds mighty tempting.

will it need a bios update or is it good to go 'out of the box'?

and if so, does this combination have much scope for clocking?

Associate
I've just got one of these boards today and I cannot get XP to install. I boot from the CD and the install starts with blue screen and drivers start loading as displayed in the bottom line of text.

It eventually gets to the bit where the text reads "Setup is starting Windows" but goes no further. Locks solid. Normally you would get the bit where you choose which partiton to install and the bit where you press F8 to accept the EULA.

I'm using a PATA drive with an AGP graphics card. I've tried 2 of each with the same result. It's also an x2 3800 which is recognised by the BIOS correctly. 1GB in 2x512 sticks.

I've got a SATA here which I haven't tried so I'll give that a go next.

Any ideas as I've run out of them ?

Back
Top Bottom