• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
Fireblade2K4 said:
Well using the OCWBeta1 bios I was running 300HTT with 10 multi (3Ghz), 600Mhz (x3) CPU-NB with 1.45v to the core and was stable in SuperPI, 3DMark01SE, Sandra and a few other tests....can understand why you can't run 600Mhz CPU-NB (x3), and I've not done any volt mod at all.

Stu

Well my Opteron is not as good as yours, will need more volts to go to 3ghz.
This 600 thing is odd; I think it maybe a prob. with the mobo - but how do you RMA a mobo that has an overclocking problem? All works fine at stock.

T

Associate
Fireblade2K4 said:
Best thing to do mate which I did was read through this thread and the Opteron Overclocking thread for some general idea on what to do which is here

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17481663

Also for some general background into A64 overclocking which applies look here (this is where I got all the info from that I needed and I was totally new to the A64 platform)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203167&postcount=3

Stu

Just to add to this topic, although i know that many of you have flashed bioses many times without problem, it is not for the faint hearted and there is a risk it could fail and you will get a dead motherboard.

The asrock has fooled me many times - usually it will post or re-boot immediately after flashing but sometimes it will act dead for up to one hour.
When this happens i have to remove all my memory except one stick,take out and refit mobo battery and press reset about 100 times before it will post.

I confirm 1.5bios has improved memory timings for higher bandwidth with cas2.5 memory clocking but i had some odd re-boots so have gone back to 1.4bios which for me is rock stable at 2.6ghz using an opty 146 & elixer budget pc3200 memory (cas3.0) amd stock air cooler

Last edited:
Associate
I've just fitted one of these today after having hell of a time with my Asus board, it's shipped with bios 1.20, do I need to flash it?

Everything seems fine, I'm not going to overclock at all, just want to run at stock speed.

Oh and come someone tell me where to set the memory to 1T mode please unless it autodetects at that speed.

Cheers.

SJ.

Oh and any hints and tips you care to pass on feel free :)

Soldato
Flashing BIOS on AsRock boards can be incredibly problematic. I had an XP AsRock board, and had the problems described above - apparently dead board which had to be coaxed back to life. This, coupled with the 1T memory issue and cold boot issues discussed here mean that after thinking long and hard I'm going to give this board a miss. I'm going to get the Abit UL8 ULi M1689 for £47 from OCUK. OK it is AGP only, but as an interim solution; when I'm ready for PCI-E graphics I'll get another new motherboard and update some other things at the same time.

Associate
swanseajack said:
I've just fitted one of these today after having hell of a time with my Asus board, it's shipped with bios 1.20, do I need to flash it?

Everything seems fine, I'm not going to overclock at all, just want to run at stock speed.

If your not going to oc then bios 1.20 will do just fine, it should be steady as a rock ;)

Associate
bikes said:
If your not going to oc then bios 1.20 will do just fine, it should be steady as a rock ;)

Ok cheers but where is the 1T command?

I know its prob stareing me in the face but on my old board it just said 2T enable/disable.

Cant seem to find that on this board so is it under a different name?

And does anyone else get the fans do a quick spin when you first flip the switch at the back of the PSU?

Just want to check thats normal.

Cheers.

SJ.

Associate
Digital Punk said:
I've flashed bios from 1.20 through to 1.50 using Dos/floppy method and haven't had a problem.

Memtest didn't like 1T though. :(
I also had problems running 1T, but now with the OCWBeta1 bios all is solved, my RAM is at 2.5-3-3-6-1T @ 208Mhz and stable, best of all it plays BF2 for hours on end without a hitch :D.

Stu

Associate
Ahhh well a quick scan with memtest booted me out with a trillion errors with 1T turned on, guess we have to wait untill Asrock get a bios out to sort this, no matter after the hell I've been through last 4 days just happy to be able to get online.

Associate
Fireblade2K4 said:
I also had problems running 1T, but now with the OCWBeta1 bios all is solved, my RAM is at 2.5-3-3-6-1T @ 208Mhz and stable, best of all it plays BF2 for hours on end without a hitch :D.

Stu

do you not get any cold boot issues with the beta1 bios?, yeah it let me go over 300htt with everything stable but everytime i came to switch on the screen would be blank then restart and the bios goes back to default and i had to set everything up again, couldn't be bothered with this so now using beta3 bios which fixes the cold boot issues. I think the original 1.1 asrock bios suffered from the same issue.

i can't get the mem to run stable at 1T though, i think its because of the volts my ram needs 2.8v to run at designed speeds, i think an ocz ddr booster is on the way for christmas.

here's a screenie of my 2.8 gig opteron. http://www.zen21587.zen.co.uk/overclockers/p180 water/280x10,ram166.JPG

and i'm impressed with my new storm block delta temps (cpu temp - ambient) never go above 5degrees :)

Associate
Well I flashed to the new 1.50 bios. My main problem is I'm sure related to my rather old non-ATX 2.0 Hiper 420W PSU, where my memory wont run at 200fsb although it did on my Abit NF7. This had put a corresponding cap on my HTT where I can't run at more than 166mhz really, so I have to set the divider at 133mhz and I maxed out at 240HTT up to now with prior bios's. Now I can run at 250HTT so a small improvement.

Until I get a new PSU I won't really know for sure whether its the memory or PSU holding me back. However my memory did run at 200mhz+ before.

Associate
Randell said:
Well I flashed to the new 1.50 bios. My main problem is I'm sure related to my rather old non-ATX 2.0 Hiper 420W PSU, where my memory wont run at 200fsb although it did on my Abit NF7.

Dought if its your p/s causing the problem, with the asrock the bios labels are wrong (see earlier posts in this thread)
The recommended settings for 200fsb or pc3200 memory is 166 with flexibility option disabled. Make sure your bios mem voltage is on high and use CPU-Z utility to check your true memory clock.

Last edited:
Associate
swanseajack said:
Have you tried running memtest86?

If not try test 8

thats the one that copped out on me, then again I'm on 1.20 bios, don't really feel like mucking about flashing untill a decent bios comes out.
ill try it tonight just downloading at the moment and dont want to lose my spot :)

Associate
williamw11 said:
Gonna try the ocwbeta1 over the weekend. Am on 1.5 but think the beta's might be the answer. Am hitting a wall at 270 and dont know if its my memory or the bios.

Its a limitation of the asrock bios.

If you are clocking with a stock air cooler 260 is about the stable limit with standard bios and reasonable temperatures 38-50C

If you want to clock above this you will have to flash to a modified bios such as OCWBeta1 but should fit a better cooler.

In addition, to reach the magic high overclocks (3.0+) you may need to do the m/b core volts mod.

Back
Top Bottom