• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
hi all, im curious as to what cooler you are using?
when someof you in the threads have stated atctic cooling freezer, are we talking about this one, and is it quiet??

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)

Associate
does it just fit straight onto the clip on the mobo like normal or does it require extras. earlier in a thread i read people were having problems fitting one cooler?

Associate
I'm using the basic gigabyte GPower cooler. My opteron 146 has not gone over 40 degrees and is oc'd from 2GHz to 2.7 Ghz. The fan on my radeon is louder and it clips straight onto the existing bracket. However, with the benefit of hindsight I would have paid an extra £5 to get the pro version. It will be noisier, but the fan runs faster. This is fine on the opteron, but I imagine an Athlon 64 would be more like my old Barton. This cooler kept the Barton (Ocd as well) at about 43 - 46 under load. With a faster fan I suspect that these would be sub 40.

Associate
Be patient, this board sometimes needs coaxing back from the dead after a bios flash.
On one occasion it took me 100 resets and over an hour to get it to boot!

Soldato
williamw11 said:
Well tried the beta1 bios and now board wont boot. Have tried 1 memory stick and cleared cmos but still dead. looks like I need a new board. :eek:
Well that's unlucky. :eek:

If your really stuck and it won't come back to life you can always post your bios chip to me and i'll flash it with the bios of your choice, test it and send it back.

ns400r said:
Well that's unlucky. :eek:

If your really stuck and it won't come back to life you can always post your bios chip to me and i'll flash it with the bios of your choice, test it and send it back.

Will keep trying today but if I cant get any life out of it I will take you up on your very kind offer. :cool:

Ta

W

Got it back but now its not allowing me to overclock - it refuses to adjust higher than stock. Will try beta 2 now and see what happens.

Any one else using a 165 on the beta bios'??

Last edited:
Associate
Okay, so I've had my mobo for a couple of weeks now but due to a nice round of pneumonia, which I'm now on the right side of, I've done nothing with it. That's about to change.

My first concern is reading the issues regarding power. I have an EZ COOL ATX-550-JSP PSU which has a regular 20 pin plug, a 12 pin plug (?) and a 4 pin plug, the wires going into the 4 pin plug are yellow and black, is this the 4 pin plug that goes to the additional power socket on the motherboard?

Secondly, do you think I'll be able to connect my original primary hdd and get the system to boot into Windows where I can then make any necessary changes or do you reckon I wil have to install Windows XP clean? I'm reckoning on the latter due to the various chipset drivers that will require installing from the ASRock cd.

Your advice is most welcome.

Soldato
surgeon said:
Okay, so I've had my mobo for a couple of weeks now but due to a nice round of pneumonia, which I'm now on the right side of, I've done nothing with it. That's about to change.

My first concern is reading the issues regarding power. I have an EZ COOL ATX-550-JSP PSU which has a regular 20 pin plug, a 12 pin plug (?) and a 4 pin plug, the wires going into the 4 pin plug are yellow and black, is this the 4 pin plug that goes to the additional power socket on the motherboard?

Secondly, do you think I'll be able to connect my original primary hdd and get the system to boot into Windows where I can then make any necessary changes or do you reckon I wil have to install Windows XP clean? I'm reckoning on the latter due to the various chipset drivers that will require installing from the ASRock cd.

Your advice is most welcome.

1: Yep, that 4 wire connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires goes on the connector between the CPU and the main 20 pin power connector.

2: Nope. At the minimum you'll need to reinstall Windows over the top of the existing installation and then install the new drivers e.t.c.. Best bet would be a nice new clean install if possible.

Associate
Regarding moving your primary HDD my method (which worked) when I got this motherboard was;

1] Uninstall existing chipset drivers
2] Swap hardware
3] Install ULi drivers on first boot

I went from an Abit NF7-s.

Associate
That's encouraging, I didn't fancy forking out £65 for a new PSU. That's really my primary concern addressesd. Regarding Windows that's more of a pain in the arse than a major problem, but a system always benefits from a clean install, it's just the forever it takes to put all the apps back on.

Thanks.

Soldato
MeddlE said:
Regarding moving your primary HDD my method (which worked) when I got this motherboard was;

1] Uninstall existing chipset drivers
2] Swap hardware
3] Install ULi drivers on first boot

I went from an Abit NF7-s.

I went from an IC7 P4 setup to the Asrock/Optero setup. Things went wrong as I half expected, so I just formatted to save time. Try this method as you've nothing to lose except time.

Associate
Well, it's booted into Windows, LOL which doesn't like my hardware change, no doubt the MS Police are looking into my previous config. A**holes !! 3 days to activate MY copy of Win XP!!
Sort out my chipset stuff now.

Associate
Everything's gone okay apart from not being able to get my onboard LAN to work, I need this to connect to the internet. I downloaded the integrated driver 2.13 from ULi as has ben previously suggested, removed the ethernet controller from within device manager and ran the .exe it eventually told me I neded to instal th 10/100 ethernet controller so I let it. It then tells me it's done it's stuff and I need to reboot. I do and Windows tells me it's found new hardware and needs to install the drivers for it, so I let it look on the driver cd and it finds nothing and wants to search on the internet - - which it can't. So I'm in a loop, it won't find it on the cd and the integrated driver says it's installed the driver but the necessary reboot says otherwise.

And yes I checked and double checked onboard LAN is enabled in the BIOS (1.2)

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Associate
JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the above.

All I had to do was (and I read this in an earlier post but misunderstood) extract just the 3 files from the cd under LAN for Win Xp to a folder and scan for changes and point it to the directory I'd created containing the said files. Hey presto it installed and I'm using it NOW to post this!!!! Lots of fannying about mind you, but then how many times do you get an installation cd and Windows simply cannot get what it wants from it?

Thanks.

Soldato
MeddlE said:
Hey ns400r, what BIOS are you running on your Asrock?
Well I have 3 Opterons that I keep changing as I keep playing.

Most of the time I run:- OCWbeta2

Opteron 146.

280 FSB
1.550volts
Memory set to 166Mhz 3-3-3-7

I'll write down the proper settings tomorrow for all the different bits.

Can't type for toffee
Don
just set one of these up for a mate with the following:

a64 3500 Winny (28 deg at stock :( wish I had kept it lol)
1Gig kingston value (single channel mode)
Powercolor X800GT
160Gb WD SATA HDD

HAve the HDD plugges into sata primary.

tried to make an image using acronis trueimage.

Just says It cannot detect any HDD's :confused:
Yet the bios reports and installed to it fine ??

Any Ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom