**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Soldato
Thahnks Thermg, wasnt sure about the BIOS bit, so I will have to click and turn something on then. I shall try the SATA II socket then, and i have SP2 installed, I think, i will perhaps stick it in a external enclosure though at some point as would be usefull to be able to take with me at times.

I am going to leave my games and apps on the raptor and move things like music, mp3, videos, photos over to the new one. Will take ages to even get close to filling this huge thing up im sure.

Permabanned
Got the conductive paint and have tried to do the volt mod with no success :(
I don't think I have made a good connection between the two points as i'm only using a pencil to apply the paint (can't find a brush).

Does it matter which points I connect (VID3 or VID4)?
So far i've only been trying to connect VID4. My cpu is a X2 3800+.

Associate
I've been looking to do a volt mod as I'm only gettting 2.65Ghz Prime stable from my Opteron 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW.

I am using Asrock BIOS 1.4 264 x 10 with the 133 memory divider and the HTT at 600 - from what I have read I don't think I'd get any benefit from OCW BIOS 1 or 2 but I am willing to try if anyone thinks it will improve performance and points me in the right direction.

One thing confuses me about the resistor method :

www.rhcf.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/30/29.html

'You do not need any Vcore mod if your running "Opteron" type CPU's. But if you want a +0.1 increase, use a 12K resistor.'

Also is it possible to remove conductive paint once applied?

Permabanned
Cody said:
I've just done a mod using conductive paint and the it takes about 20mins to dry, I removed some when I made a mistake before it dried but I don't think you can remove it once its dried.

Just done the volt mod and wish I hadn't done it. I went into the bios set it to 1.15V (1.55V real voltage) and my pc started making a sqealing noise, I reset the bios back to the old settings and it's working fine, however just ran a super pi test and got 46s, I used to get 34s.

I think the volts have damaged my X2 3800+ :(

Associate
i removed the paint after it had died - it kind of flakes off :)

i used a cocktail stick tip to apply it after i had masked the area off with insulating tape - a clean cocktail stick end it also useful for tidying up any stray bits of paint

i used 5 or 6 layers of paint with hairdryer in between to set it

vid3 is better than vid4 imho

rock solid on 276x10 1.55v ocwbeta2 bios 2x1gb gskill @230mhz
cpu gets flaky at 280x10 and fails superpi

Associate
A bit obvious guys but please don't forget to fully disconnect the PSU, allow a few seconds for components to discharge and touch ground before anything else. :rolleyes:

I know it makes sense 'cause I did mine fully assembled and nearly borked it! :eek:

Associate
lee87 said:
Got the conductive paint and have tried to do the volt mod with no success :(
I don't think I have made a good connection between the two points as i'm only using a pencil to apply the paint (can't find a brush).

Does it matter which points I connect (VID3 or VID4)?
So far i've only been trying to connect VID4. My cpu is a X2 3800+.

Its probably not the connection, vid 4 did nothing for me either. vid 3 works though but means i cant use 1.375 as it converts to 1.5v

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/130/images/vid.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/130/images/vcore.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mrchu_ said:
Its probably not the connection, vid 4 did nothing for me either. vid 3 works though but means i cant use 3.75 as it converts to 5.5

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/130/images/vid.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/130/images/vcore.jpg
I did the mod again using a paint brush (instead of a pencil) and conductive paint and it's working fine now :D
I used the vid4 mod. Lets me choose any voltage from 1.15V-1.55V (in steps of 0.25V).

Now have my cpu clocked at 2.65ghz on 1.5V. Would only go to 2.5ghz before the mod. Still messing about with settings so it might go higher :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cody said:
I've been looking to do a volt mod as I'm only gettting 2.65Ghz Prime stable from my Opteron 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW.

I am using Asrock BIOS 1.4 264 x 10 with the 133 memory divider and the HTT at 600 - from what I have read I don't think I'd get any benefit from OCW BIOS 1 or 2 but I am willing to try if anyone thinks it will improve performance and points me in the right direction.

One thing confuses me about the resistor method :

www.rhcf.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/30/29.html

'You do not need any Vcore mod if your running "Opteron" type CPU's. But if you want a +0.1 increase, use a 12K resistor.'

ignore that comment. u do whichever method that meets your needs.
vid4 mod gives you 1.55, if you want more you have to do the resistor mod, i used a 10k and 1.4 in bios = 1.58v

Associate
chopchop said:
anyone noticed u can run htt x800 even at 281fsb ?my total htt speed is now something like 1125 lol

yep, I can run 274x10 with HTT x800. This is with memory divider at 133. If I set 150 with A64Tweaker prime95 errors in first test :confused:

I tried to look for the HTT limit but I stopped bored at 240 HTT x1000 (1200) stable.

What I wonder is how some people can run about 285-290FSB with 1.6bios????

anybody is above 274 with the official bioses???? how???

I would be happy with 285; haven't found the limits of my opteron yet ;)

Last edited:
Associate
GUYS GUYS

after having a nightmare of it not seeing my drives on install even after i set to non raid and did the f6 install with jbmicron drivers i finally got it going

i have always been an nforce man and knew where to look for speeds of drives and stuff but this has me stumped

my sata2 hard drive now shows as scsi is this correct i thought it would have shown as sata2 also my second normal sata drive shows as just normal

only way i could test speeds was using hdtach which i found on net

figures come back as

sata2 the one that shows scsi is 265 m/b
and the normal one is 128m/b

judging by these does it seem they are running right to you gys

and those that have a sata 2 connection running on theirs do u also get it showing as a scsi drive

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Well, finally got a chip borrowed, got my bios flashed, then put my nice and shiny 3700+ OEM into the machine and powered her up.

Not a problem, although i had blue screen issues with the memory in slots 1&2, when trying to install windows. Swapped memory to slots 1&3 and all was ok.

As i have cheap single channel loose timing DDR400 memory (soon to be replaced) i thought i'd stick it straight on a divider and see what it can do..

CPU - 11*230 - 2.53Ghz
Vcore - 1.344
Memory:180.8Mhz
FSBRAM CPU/14

32mSuperPi - 34m 51s
Sisoft:
Drystone - ALU 11344 MIPS
Whetstone - iSSE3 5123MFLOPS

No Prime as yet as only just built the thing..

Will run it like it is for a while, run a couple of burn-ins, then see if i can beat the FX57 (Although clocked slower, with crap RAM, my system already shows up in sisoft as better than an FX55).

Soldato
Woo, finally got this system built, have got it to 2.5ghz so far but not tested fully. Many thanks to Ian (ns400r) for letting me post my BIOS to him for reflashing, top guy and I really appreciate it. Where would I be without this kind of help :)

Luckily I think my board is overvolting on the cpu, set it to 1.40 and it reads 1.44 ish in CPU-Z.

Boot problem after flash is resolved by leaving only 1 stick of memory in and clearing cmos. Mite need to be restarted a couple of times but be patient. Install memory after board boots for the first time.

As a note I tried ocwbeta2 and it it wont keep my settings after clocking - have reset cmos but sill the same. Looks like I might be stuck with 270HTT.

Associate
williamw11 said:
Boot problem after flash is resolved by leaving only 1 stick of memory in and clearing cmos. Mite need to be restarted a couple of times but be patient. Install memory after board boots for the first time.

As a note I tried ocwbeta2 and it it wont keep my settings after clocking - have reset cmos but sill the same. Looks like I might be stuck with 270HTT.

Have you tried 1.6 official bios?

This is incredibly stable and interestingly, when you select the HTT option to set the value, in the help text on the right it says "Select a value between 146Mhz and 300Mhz for HTT." I don't know if it says this on all bios versions or not, but some people with 1.6 have got above the 274mhz cap.

It may work for you, it may not...

Think I may have been on 1.6 before trying this. Was happy at 270Htt but curiosity got the better of me. Had been meaning to try it since Igot the board but never gor t roung to trying it til last week when I was off sick. ;)

Back
Top Bottom