**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
You have to update it's firmware to get it to work in SATAII best bet is to email Maxtor and give them your model number of your Hard-drive.

Soldato
just out of intrest what temp monitoring programs are people using on this mobo. I used to swear by MBM5 but i couldnt see the motherboard in the setup wizard.

I know speedfan can do it but i dont like the look of that at all

Soldato
kidloco said:
just out of intrest what temp monitoring programs are people using on this mobo. I used to swear by MBM5 but i couldnt see the motherboard in the setup wizard.

MBM will work but you set it to think your mobo is an Abit NF7. :)

Trust me it works.

Associate
kidloco said:

I'm using Sensorview.

I've found some monitoring s/w has problems with this board, but I've never had any problems using Sensorsview. It just sits in the notification area and displays my CPU temp and a double click on the icon brings up the temps/voltages/fan speeds that you've configured it to display.

HTH, dagwoood.

Soldato
stumpy6 said:
Please could somebody tell me the differance in performance that i would get if i was to use 1 gig (pc3200) of memory in dual channel as to 1.5 gig in single channel. Thanks

Thats a good question because I've just gone from 1GB Dual to 1.5GB single and BF2 plays soooo much better with 1.5GB.

In past benchs I've seen dual channel give you 5-10% performance boost, an extra 512MB in modern games is worth more if you ask me.

Anyone else care to agree, disagree???

Associate
Edleake said:
Thats a good question because I've just gone from 1GB Dual to 1.5GB single and BF2 plays soooo much better with 1.5GB.

In past benchs I've seen dual channel give you 5-10% performance boost, an extra 512MB in modern games is worth more if you ask me.

Anyone else care to agree, disagree???

sure it would help if the game or application simply needed more memory. the ideal solution would be to sell the 1gb dual ch set and go 2gb dual. you would get the benefit of both dual channel memory bandwidth and loads more ram. your cpu mem controller would also be stressed less with just 2 sticks and probably allow you to keep your overclock also.
on average the gains you get from running dual ch condition would give you way more than just a 5% boost!

Last edited:
Soldato
Jimbo said:
Im about to install this motherboard, can anyone give me any tips or anything before I do?

Whats the best order to install the drivers etc? direct x first then the chipset drivers?

Chipset drivers first (latest ULI download)

Soldato
Another question.. I see there are Sata drivers, do I need to make a floppy disk with them for install during windows xp.. push F6 for third party etc. :confused:

I'll be booting from sata1 using a wd raptor.

Associate
argh! can someone please let me know how i can get norton ghost to see sata drives. have a 75g raptor on one and 300g maxtor on the other but when trying to use norton ghost it fails to see either drive

Soldato
Jimbo said:
Another question.. I see there are Sata drivers, do I need to make a floppy disk with them for install during windows xp.. push F6 for third party etc. :confused:

I'll be booting from sata1 using a wd raptor.

I did a clean install on a Maxtor SATA1 drive and did not need a floppy or to use the F6 key

Soldato
Well Im having a weird problem here at bios level that is. My western digital raptor 74gig is my main boot drive and is connected to the sata 1 port and I also have a Maxtor 250gig on the sata 2 port. The problem is that the bios is not seeing the raptor at all but instead its seeing the maxtor on sata1?? but its not its on sata 2... help someone please.

Soldato
There is a setting in the BIOS where you can set the drive to SATA mode or IDE mode from memory - maybe worth a try. My recollection is hazy as it was a few months ago that I did my install

When yuo say SATA 2, you mean the second SATA1 port ?

Soldato
Sorry mate I was getting confused, I have now just plugged in the raptor into sata 1 port (not the sata 2 mode connector) and it sees it ok. It dosent seem to see both drives when they are both the none sata2 mode connectors.

Lol I hope that makes sense.

So I dont need to install any raid drivers since i am not using raid yes?

Back
Top Bottom