The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
OP
Spent the weekend working on the Baja. Managed to cut the rear arches and move them away from the wheels a bit. Got an extra inch or so of clearance and now they dont rub. :)

June.jpg

In doing so I had to remove the rear seat. Thought this would be a good time to give the rear of the car a good thick layer of hammerit to prevent it rusting any more than it already has. I did the underside last weekend, so now it should be totally encased.

PaintedPans1.jpg

PaintedPans1.jpg

Looks pretty messy, but you wont see it when the seats and carpet are back in and will hopefully protect it for many years to come. Plus gave me a chance to get the carpets out and give them a good hosing down.

Next weekend I'll have a go at doing to the the front insides.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got all the seats and carpet back in pronto this evening as I wanted to take it out for a spin. To the sand dunes!

Dunes1.jpg
Dunes2.jpg

Dunes3.jpg

Dunes4.jpg

Can't beleive the darn cibie came loose and out of place to spoil the photos! That'll teach me for lubricating a nut. :lol:

Soldato
OP
I've been at it all day today.

Finally managed to get the rear window done. Plus I got my welder through the post. First job was to 'enhance' the coil over C spanner. Meant I could lift the rear a little more, plus with a bit more additional grinding today it now doesn't rub at all. Not even over bumps.

I fitted a cage over the fan belt. I was quite miffed with the design of it. There were supposed to be two screws to hold the bracket. However havnig the screws there meant the fan bet would rub against the sharp edge of the screw. :rolleyes: So I thought I'd get more practice in with the welder. Welded the bracket on instead of screwing it, then grinded it down so it was nice and flat, and now it fits a treat. :)

Oh and I found a way to stop fuel coming out of the breather pipe whenever I pull a hard right hander. I bought a one way air valve to attach to the breather hose. Works a treat.

All in all, a good day for the baja.

Soldato
OP
Wow, I didn't expect it to look so clean and tidy inside. Well done :)

You should have seen it before. Its was quite shocking, eveything was falling apart, there were holes everywhere, covered with stickers. Half the dash was coloured in by felt tip. There was a centre console covered wtih fur. :o

I filled the dash, sanded it flat, repainted it, removed the centre console, fitted a gauge holder.

Looks much better now. Just need to do the same behind the drivers seat.

Back
Top Bottom