The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
OP
Its actually on the brake.

The brake return spring on the pedal has snapped. I've got a new one, but its a right b*****d of a job to replace as you have to dismantle the whole pedal assembly.

The bungee is just a crude, yet effective replacement for that spring until I get round to replacing it.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Its actually on the brake.

The brake return spring on the pedal has snapped. I've got a new one, but its a right b*****d of a job to replace as you have to dismantle the whole pedal assembly.

The bungee is just a crude, yet effective replacement for that spring until I get round to replacing it.

What if it sprinmgs off and gets you in the eye or sack:eek:

Soldato
OP
Been at it all day again. :rolleyes: But the show's tomorrow, so needed it up to scratch. So.....

Interior rear is done. Not perfection, but tidy enough. You should have seen it before. :o

InteriorRear.JPG

And I've fitted the roof rack, now she's ready for the show!

ShowReady.JPG

Its amazing how far the old girl has come along since I got her. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Well, I attende VW Action Off Road event last weekend..... And I Won! Fastest Baja round the track. :D

Anyway, while I was there I realised that I really need to invest more into the car. I need to replace the rear suspension with an IRS setup. Plus I want to customise my front beam to add extended shock mounts.

Anyhow, in the mean time, I needed more clearance at the rear for my tyres, so today I took the plunge and set on raising it up.

To do this (for those not in the know) involves disassembling the rear suspension so you can remove the spring plates from the torsion barand put it back on under higher load.

So to cut a long arduous day of work short. Here are the results. :p

Camber1.jpg

Camber2.jpg

Camber3.jpg

Oldschool negative camber. May look a bit daft, but now the wheels dont rub. Oh and it is completely level. :o :p

Soldato
OP
That is unfortunately positive camber. That's probably going to suffer horribly from jacking under hard cornering. How big a job is the IRS conversion?
A lot.

New gearbox
drive shafts
IRS conversion (welding hinges onto beam)
CV Joints
New spring plates

Basically, its not a 1 day job. I'll get there eventually, but I've got to wait for the bits to do it to come up for sale.

For now, it'll have to handle like a bag of crap. :p I have added spacers to the rear to widen the track which should hopefully help a bit, plus I put the tyre pressures up to 25psi.

Soldato
OP
Crazy looking thing :D

What engine has it got? Specs? Out of interest :)
Its difficult to compare it to modern 'normal' cars. Its got a 1584cc engine which produces around 40bhp.

However off road, its got plenty of torque to get by and since you've never really out of 1st and 2nd gear, the power is fine.

On road, its rubbish. But its because its so bad that its fun to drive.

Back
Top Bottom