The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
OP
40BHP from a 1.6! Classic :D You're right though, it does look ridiculous fun ;)
Add that to 25mpg. Awsome. It really was very different back then!

I was going to take it all apart again today and put it down a spline, however I changed my mind. Its settled down now with a lot less of a camber, and it is much more stable to drive.

Camber4.jpg

Camber5.jpg

Soldato
That tiny engine is just embarrassing.

get a big lump in there, reach for the dizy heights of 60bhp.

iam guessing the only engines that will go in there that are quick are old porsche lumps?

Soldato
OP
That tiny engine is just embarrassing.

get a big lump in there, reach for the dizy heights of 60bhp.

iam guessing the only engines that will go in there that are quick are old porsche lumps?
You'd be wrong.

What you're looking at thinking is the engine is actually a carb, fan housing and alternator. The engine itself is mostly hidden behind the numberplate and goes transversely between the exhaust cannons. Plus I've painted a number of engine parts matt black, so they dont show up.

From a distance it would be quite difficult to tell how big one of these engines is. The most powerful engines are all custom built.

For example, this 2.3 litre engine is almost exactly the same size as my engine from the outside.

http://volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=487004

This one shows quite well the actual engine (minus cooling, carbs, alternator, manifold, coil etc)

http://volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=481734

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, the engine needs some work. No time like the present, so, evening 1 of project - 'strip, fix, replace and rebuild'.

Or better known as 'what the hell am I doing, will it ever work again'.

Will it ever look the same again. :(
Strip1.jpg

Strip2.jpg

Strip3.jpg

Strip4.jpg

Strip5.jpg

Still some rusty tinware screws that will need cutting out. Something for another day.
Strip6.jpg

All holes plugged and covered up for the night.
Strip7.jpg

Zip

Zip

Soldato
What off set and size are the wheels bug one?

Postage froim me to you for upto 20kg parcels cost

ECI Merchandise $416.10 20kg
ECI Documents $408.35 20kg
Express Post International $404.45
Air mail $399.45
Sea mail $174.35

The Subarus run 4 stud wheels so they migh/could/should fit the VW if you want a pair if they are the right size

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha ha. Thanks for the offer, but I might try sourcing wheels in the UK. Postage from auz might be a bit on the pricey side. Those wheels are very big and very heavy.

I've now finished putting the engine back together. I accidently blew the electronic ignition by putting a cable in the wrong way round. (Since when was a black cable supposed to be positive. :rolleyes: ). Luckily I kept the old stuff, so I'll just have to use points and condenser again.

The new piston rings are on, I fitted new push rod tubes and seals which were leaking a bit. I also checked the valves which are all fine and cleaned all the burned crap off the insides of the heads and pistons. Now I've just got to re do all the ignition timing and check the valve clearances and it should all be running again!

Then it'll be onto servicing the rear brakes and transaxle oil seals. Then the front beam. Then the track rods. The the gearbox. Then perhaps I'll get round to fitting IRS. :p

Caporegime
if people ask "whats a boxer engine" they should be taken to this thread. The baja style means its so easy to see the layout of the engine.

Im guessing being the engine that it is, its relatively easy to work on ?

Soldato
OP
Well. I managed to fit new piston rings without having to remove the engine, if that says anything.

I've got a beetle book that has a guide on engine removal. Basically, steps 1-10 of the instructions and 14-20 are all irrelevant.

Undo 4 bolts, remove throttle cable, alternator cable and fuel pipe. Done. Bodywork clearance isn't an issue. :p

Back
Top Bottom