The Baja - Progress Thread

Associate
Well. I managed to fit new piston rings without having to remove the engine, if that says anything.

I've got a beetle book that has a guide on engine removal. Basically, steps 1-10 of the instructions and 14-20 are all irrelevant.

Undo 4 bolts, remove throttle cable, alternator cable and fuel pipe. Done. Bodywork clearance isn't an issue. :p

Yep, that looks considerably easier than the task I had helping my brother remove and refit his engine into his 67' beetle last week after he rebuilt it!!

Soldato
OP
Well, I havent done any update for a while. I've recently been working at getting the car all running nicely again.

I've fitted new seats to it and ripped out all the rear seats.

Harnesses2.jpg

Plus, I've just finished installing a new set of twin carbs and a new dizzy.

DualCarbsFinished.jpg

I've also had a new front beam installed, a heater channel replaced, and the brakes overhauled.

I have a new electronic ignition to go in this afternoon, and a load of other bits an pieces here and there.

Soldato
OP
Very cool. Forgive my ignorance but is this car slow? fast? torkey? etc etc. :)

Unstable with terrible brakes and doesn't like going straight.

Power wise its not bad. Its a fairly torquey engine and works well at low revs. I still need to do the timing properly though which should improve power at higher revs.

Everything I'm doing is intended at making as fast as possible around the grass track at VW action 2009. So it wont be out of 1st and 2nd gear, and has to be able to take big bumps at speed.

Associate
I think the car looks cool and know they are fun. But noisy ones sound spoilt, especially if it sounds like a harley.

Soldato
Started going through this when you updated it from the start and awesome thread. Love these project things and watching them evolve.

Get matching fronts already! :p

Looks great though :)

Soldato
OP
Got the push rod tubes sorted this weekend, plus got a chance to tune the carbs better. Having cannons actually made it really easy. If I put my ear to one cannon I could hear perfectly how each side of the engine was running and adjust the carb accordingly.

Anyhow, how about these for cheap crap. Only 7 months old and they are the most rusty bits on the whole car.
Pushrods1.jpg

New tubes in. Quite a fiddly job, but still much easier than removing the heads.
Pushrods2.jpg

And they match the highlight colour on the rest of the engine. :p
Pushrods3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fitted the new oil breather tonight. Had to buy a 16mm drill bit to be able to tap the rocker covers, and I'm going to replace the awful cheap piping that came with it with some decent rubber. All the metal bits were good quality though.

Baja%20Oil%20Breather%201.jpg

Baja%20Oil%20Breather%202.jpg

Baja%20Oil%20Breather%203.jpg

Baja%20Oil%20Breather%204.jpg

Baja%20Oil%20Breather%205.jpg

Not bad for a fiver though. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom