The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
And where did DM say that?

He said that Utd could potentially earn a further £40m had they won the league and CL instead of finishing 2nd and getting knocked out of the CL in the quarters. That's simply not the case.

And no, the difference between no CL and quarters of the CL isn't easily £40-50m. Getting to the group stage is worth in the region of £20m and then maybe a further ~£5m for getting to the quarters. It all depends on your % of the tv money which is based on your league position from the previous year. IIRC Liverpool earned around £20m (tv and prize money) for getting to the CL quarters a couple of seasons back and then a further £8m from gate receipts. Because of the increased games, those gate receipts would almost certainly be cancelled out by a decent run in the europa and it would be a fairly safe guess to say that at least £5m of prize and tv money would also be recouped.

edit: btw, these figures are taken from club accounts, not DM or the Daily Mail. Unfortunately (like with Utd's 'losses') people just take the headline figures from nonsense newspapers rather than understanding the reality.

I think if you could understand basic English, and me saying Utd could easily win 40-50mil extra OVER A FEW SEASONS, its VERY easy.

But being in two champs league finals in a row, has an effect on ticket sales, has an effect on ticket prices, has an effect on how much TV money they get, has an effect on their next shirt sponsorship deal, has an effect on their other sponsorship deals, etc, etc, etc.

Over a few seasons its worth dramatically more overall than 40-50mil.

5.2mil Euros for losing the final and 9 for winning it, thats WITHOUT TV money, and WITHOUT ticket money(though afaik being in a non home stadium usually, I think UEFA get a huge cut of the ticket money).

Utd getting to the Champs league final over Liverpool getting knocked out of the Europa league or even not being in europe can be 50-60mil all told in one season. You can make from winnings along, 31mil euros winning every game in the champs league, thats ignoring tv money, sponsorship increases being that successful bring, even the money from selling hotdogs at home games.

The difference between winning the league, I should really have quantified that I meant the difference between winning the league, and coming 7th, is 4.8million, and thats what I meant.

I was being INCREDIBLY CONSERVATIVE when I said the difference could be 40-50mil, I was mostly talking about actual winnings, 4.8mil a year in the league, of 4mil extra this year for UTD, and call it 15mil in the Champions league, over a few years, was I that far out, yup, I low balled it. 15mil getting to the quarterfinals and 4mil a year and thats already above 50mil over 3 years, ignoring all other added income, which will be huge. Over 3 years you're talking about what, 5-6 extra home matches a season, which for Utd means over 10mil in ticket income a season on top of that.

Don
I think if you could understand basic English, and me saying Utd could easily win 40-50mil extra OVER A FEW SEASONS, its VERY easy.

So any bidder for Utd is going to base their value on them winning the League and CL several times over the next few years?:rolleyes:

Bearing in mind the difference in money between winning the League and finishing 2nd is minimal and Utd have won the European Cup a whole 3 times in their existance, it's advisable to expect them to win it several times over a few years?

Why not predict that they'll win it every season for the next 10 seasons, that way they'll earn £100m's more.

As per usual you're making utter **** up and talking out of your ****.
But being in two champs league finals in a row, has an effect on ticket sales, has an effect on ticket prices, has an effect on how much TV money they get, has an effect on their next shirt sponsorship deal, has an effect on their other sponsorship deals, etc, etc, etc.

Go on then, pull another figure out of your **** to quantify this.

Utd are already increasing the ticket prices, selling out OT and are committed to a brand new sponsorship deal on the back of 2 finals in 2 years (when the deal was signed). Unless of course they go on to win every game they play for the next 4 seasons, when their deal is up for renewal, I don't see how their on field performance will be the reason for any increased sponsorship.

There is however potential for their on field performances to have a negative effect on their sponsorship deals, ticket prices and attendance.of 3. Utd signed their deal on the back of 3 leagues and 2 CL finals. What if they don't reach the CL final or win the league for a couple of seasons? It could have a negative impact. But I'm sure you calculated that when you were pull those numbers out of your ****?
5.2mil Euros for losing the final and 9 for winning it, thats WITHOUT TV money, and WITHOUT ticket money(though afaik being in a non home stadium usually, I think UEFA get a huge cut of the ticket money).

There would be no extra tv money nor gate receipt :rolleyes:

Can't be bothered to go through the rest of your **** because it's all based on your delusional idea that Utd could potentially win the CL every season for a few seasons :rolleyes:

edit: You're right, I missed the 'few seasons' part though :)

And I don't mean to come across so rude, it's sometimes just frustrating trying to explain things to you when your post is fundementally wrong.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Barcelona are getting ready to make a £12m bid for Arsenal midfielder Denilson during the January transfer window.
Full Story: caughtoffside.com

Damn, if only. That would be tremendous! :D

What a ridiculous story. He can't even hold down a starting place in the Arsenal midfield. £12,000,000 though... I'd pay him 12 mill if he could just keep the ball in the stadium when he shoots.

Soldato
Denilson is very much like Busquets.

Anderlecht adolescent Romelu Lukaku has joined Arsenal. The 17-year-old is definitely leaving the Belgian club with the Gunners his destination, a coup for the club considering the Belgium striker has been coveted by Chelsea, Inter Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid. The Belgian star, likened to a young Didier Drogba, is champing at the bit to play for the Gunners.

Probably wrong but would be nice

Last edited:
Soldato
Wigan Council have relented after an angry reaction from the town's football fans and replaced new signposts which omitted any reference to the Latics. "It was a clearly discriminatory act to focus solely on the rugby," fumed supporter Andy Wolstenholme, after the council added new messages reading "Wigan Warriors, Super League champions 2010" underneath their 'Welcome to Wigan' signposts. The original ones - describing Wigan as "home of Premiership football and Super League rugby" - have been bolted back on.
Rugby town supports rugby team success shock.

EDIT: Also from the Fiver:
SCOUSERS AND MINERS CELEBRATING? HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGGIE
Ahahahaha, brilliant.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Everyone seems to be coming back to fitness.

Hargreaves for United, Fabregas, Walcott and Bender for Arsenal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8911342.stm

Ramsey's now starting to run around a bit. Be great to have him back because he was progressing like Wilshere is now until Shawcross broke his leg.

Hopefully they both now won't be hacked around left right and centre and their development can continue unimpeded. Their technical skills are already pretty good. Dare I tempt fate in a big way, but I'm not wholly joking when I say IF they keep going at the rate they are/were, we could have our own Xavi and Iniesta running the midfield in half a decade.

Soldato
That would just be epic, but it wouldn't survive in the EPL. We would need somebody with a bit more strength. Like Song. Or not Song, as he seems to want to forage forward as well. :o

Oh after living with Bolton for six months Wilshere can rough it up with the best of them. I have seen him fly into plenty of tackles recently.

Is it too much to ask for a fit RvP also, then we can have the single scariest attack in the Premiership?

Whilshire Ramsey
Fabregas
RvP Chamakh Arshavin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom