The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm surprised no one else snapped him up before we did.

Because he wasn't actively known as being for sale.

Real realised they needed the money and were probably happy to deal with us after Spurs mucked them around with Bale.

Man U may have been offered him as well, but were um'ing and ar'ing. So with the phone call from Wenger and the elbowing from Madrid due to the approaching deadline, we ended up with him. I'm sure he feels he made the right choice now.

Associate
Because he wasn't actively known as being for sale.

Real realised they needed the money and were probably happy to deal with us after Spurs mucked them around with Bale.

Man U may have been offered him as well, but were um'ing and ar'ing. So with the phone call from Wenger and the elbowing from Madrid due to the approaching deadline, we ended up with him. I'm sure he feels he made the right choice now.

Yes. I think that phone call from wenger the "I have faith in you" statement swung it our way.

Caporegime
Ferguson also recounted the story of United’s pursuit of Rooney when the player was a youngster at Everton.

He revealed the striker twice rebuffed him at the ages of 14 and 16 and that when he eventually signed as an 18-year-old for £25 million plus add ons, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright was reduced to tears in his office.

Ferguson said Kenwright called his own mother and passed the phone to the Scot, who she berated so fiercely that the United manager thought it was a negotiating tactic.

Hilarious!

Associate
Exactly. We should have got rid of him ages ago. He will never be as much as wenger thinks or thought a new Viera lol.

You remember that people also said the same about Ramsey and RVP? Now look at them both.

Plus how do you just "get rid" of a player. No one is going to buy Diaby because he's always injured. We could cancel his contract but that isn't the type of club that we are. We're not a cut-throat organisation, we're a club with a proud tradition of class. We don't treat people like that.

Caporegime
I would feel sorry for Diaby if he wasn't leaching thousands and thousands of pounds from us in wages. The guy is no doubt a multi millionaire and has yet to stay fit long enough to start repaying even a fraction of that back. We aren't a cut throat organisation, but we have given him more than enough time and loyalty and he quite clearly will never make it as a professional footballer, his body is too weak.

Man of Honour
Fergie did try to sign Ozil didn't he :confused:

You need to buy the book....

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed he refused to follow Wayne Rooney's advice to sign Mezut Ozil three years ago.

But speaking at the launch of his autobiography in London today, Ferguson revealed he had to tell Rooney to stay out of club transfer business in 2010.

Ferguson said: 'Ozil was not on our radar. I said that to Wayne at the time.

'We signed Chicharito [Javier Hernandez] that summer. My thoughts at the time were a Rooney and Chicharito partnership

'That was a fair prospect for us to look at.

'When Ozil was at Werder Bremen he played wide right initially then they played him off the front.

'That type of player was not necessarily on our radar.

'I told Wayne, "Leave the signing of players to me". We've got lots of them right.'.

Water under the bridge.... :p

Caporegime
Well he went to Madrid, it's not like we could have beaten them to him.

You couldn't pay me to read Fergie's book. How many chapters does he dedicate to Jones in midfield strat, goal keeper rotation and Welbeck the goalless wonder? :p

Soldato
Brighton just signed some youngster from Arsenal called Tom Dallison apparently. 17 years old, I hear he is a centreback?

So long as we don't get Blackstock, as rumored, I'll be happy!...I'm hoping we'll get Harry Kane from Spurs on a short loan, we are linked with him pretty much constantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom